• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The nuance of Sound Design

This is a pretty great article that backs up everything APE says about Sound Design, and might get you thinking creatively about it:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ions-roaring-art-of-sound-in-movies?CMP=fb_gu

Some highlights:

His expertise, fittingly, is what can’t be seen – sound, yes, but also everything else that sound is to the human mind: the way we orient ourselves in relation to spaces, to time, to each other; the way we communicate when language fails; the way our ears know, precognitively, when the dark room has someone lurking in it or when a stranger will be kind. He orchestrates the levels of human perception that most people either fail to examine or lack the ability to notice at all. His job is to make you feel things without ever knowing he was there.

Consider the scene at the end of No Country For Old Men when Javier Bardem’s character has a car accident. After the crunch of impact, there are a few moments of what might be mistaken for stillness. The two cars rest smoking and crumpled in the middle of a suburban intersection. Nothing moves – but the soundscape is deceptively layered. There is the sound of engines hissing and crackling, which have been mixed to seem as near to the ear as the camera was to the cars; there is a mostly unnoticeable rustle of leaves in the trees; periodically, so faintly that almost no one would register it consciously, there is the sound of a car rolling through an intersection a block or two over, off camera; a dog barks somewhere far away. The faint sound of a breeze was taken from ambient sounds on a street like the one depicted in the scene. When Javier Bardem shoves open the car door, you hear the door handle stick for a moment before it releases. There are three distinct sounds of broken glass tinkling to the pavement from the shattered window, a small handful of thunks as he falls sideways to the ground, his laboured breathing, the chug of his boot heel finally connecting with the asphalt – even the pads of his fingers as they scrabble along the top of the window. None of these sounds are there because some microphone picked them up. They’re there because Lievsay chose them and put them there, as he did for every other sound in the film. The moment lasts about 20 seconds. No Country For Old Men is 123 minutes long.

You need the ability not only to hear with an almost superhuman acuity but also the technical proficiency and Job-like patience to spend hours getting the sound of a kettle’s hiss exactly the right length as well as the right pitch – and not only the right pitch but the right pitch considering that the camera pans during the shot, which means that the viewer’s ear will subconsciously anticipate hearing a maddeningly subtle (but critical) Doppler effect, which means that the tone the kettle makes as it boils needs to shift downward at precisely the interval that a real kettle’s hiss would if you happened to walk by at that speed.

The Coen brothers are treasured by Lievsay’s tribe, in part because they begin sound design unusually early in the process – often while still writing and shooting. “The way they work is the dream,” C5’s dialogue editor, Eliza Paley, told me. “They understand that sound is also storytelling.”

It becomes clear, in moments like these, exactly how unconscious the experience of sound is, how neatly it skirts our higher reasoning to make us feel. It does not matter if you know the violence is just pretend – make the gunshot noise loud and accurate enough and your body will believe it is real. For this reason, sound is one of the most visceral, subtle tools available to filmmakers. No need to wait to see the limp of the boy who has fallen off his bicycle to know that his ankle is broken – a small crunching noise added to his landing will make a viewer cringe in empathy.

I've provided you with advice which requires no additional budget but it's not the simple magic spell advice you can just add to your existing method of filmmaking which you're looking for, so you ignore it and then accuse me of not giving you this magic spell (which doesn't even exist)! There's none so deaf as them who want to be!

I think you may be right here. I went back and looked at the original thread which was the reason for my venting, and I re-read your original advice. You do clearly give me advice, and I think I originally misread it. You had all these caveats in the beginning and it fried my brain regarding the advice that followed. But the advice did follow. So my accusations of you not helping is clearly misleading and false. :(. I owe you a serious apology, because all of my venom stems from how that thread made me feel. And clearly, it's my brain that mis-read everything. Because the advice is obviously there. I don't know how many times you want me to apologize to you. The accusation that you did not help me when I needed it is clearly false.

Here's the original thread: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=58245&page=2
Can you please forgive me? I have no other words to say.

Maybe we can pick up a debate on what the independent filmmaker needs from professionals like you at another time, once any feelings of rancor towards me has subsided, and once you calm down, enough to acknowledge my existence :). I don't know what else to say.

I'll just leave you with the original restaurant piece and the audio corrected and foley added restaurant piece for any comments you might have.

Original:
https://vimeo.com/129950212
password: sound

corrected (foley/bg added):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJ51JmSmcM (Parts need further correction)

ps. Whatever you feel towards me, maybe you could be a bit more understanding of sfoster's position. Because a lot of people are in his position.
Again. Apologies

Last edited:
You're joking right? Are you saying that you really didn't get that Alcove and I were calling your opinion ludicrous much earlier in this thread?

No I wasn't saying that at all.

The assertion made by alcove was that I have never experienced sound design because I don't have good speakers. Neither do my intended audience.

This is a very small step in logic to say If I can't experience, if my audience can't experience, then it makes total sense to disregard it!!!

You should focus on the stuff that your audience actually experiences.
This should be common sense but somehow you guys can't grasp this concept.

Then you made some weird, mind boggling statement that advertisements never have any lighting or props in the trailers. Honestly this whole thread has been a bunch of gibberish.

FilmakerJ was contradicting alcove and saying he was wrong - that even with bad speakers an audience does still experience sound design. And this is what I was replying to. But you seemed to have missed that point.

Last edited:
No I wasn't saying that at all.

The assertion made by alcove was that I have never experienced sound design because I don't have good speakers. Neither do my intended audience.

This is a very small step in logic to say If I can't experience, if my audience can't experience, then it makes total sense to disregard it!!!

You should focus on the stuff that your audience actually experiences.
This should be common sense but somehow you guys can't grasp this concept.

Then you made some weird, mind boggling statement that advertisements never have any lighting or props in the trailers. Honestly this whole thread has been a bunch of gibberish.

I would have to agree with that.
Because the way that you keep referring to "sound design," you act as if it is a "thing," and not a "process."

I was also disagreeing with ~Alcove for a very good reason, which I will illustrate below.

If any of you have personally watched the original Star Trek TV series, then you might be familiar with some of the sound effects that they used on the show: the automatic doors, the phaser weapons, the photon torpedoes, the control panel buttons, and the portable communicators. These were all sounds that were "invented" and "designed" by someone, and I believe they were specifically for the show. And considering everyone back in the 1960s watched Star Trek on really early CRT televisions, most of which only had one speaker built into them, I'm pretty sure just about everyone could "appreciate" and "experience" the sound design featured on that show. So the same should also be true of modern films and tv shows today.

Now, plenty of very subtle and minute sound effects used for the background ambiance of a film you won't be able to hear without speakers that can pick up certain ranges of sound, but usually these sounds are not "vital" to telling the story, and are mostly there to add quality and realism when watching the final product inside of a theater, or with better than average speakers or head-phones. It's an aspect of big-budget filmmaking that indie filmmakers can still achieve on a smaller scale, as long as they have the time and the resources for it. However, because it's only really necessary when one has the time or interest in going that complex with a sound track and sound effects, you are right in your own circumstances to say that they are probably unnecessary for your project.

I think the real bottom line here, is if you don't need to "create" any new sounds that don't exist in the real world, and you don't need to "record" any lost sounds or Foley sounds that are required to replace sounds that you need but don't have with your footage: then you are correct: you do not need "sound design." I understand that "sound design" may still be a very particular aspect of "sound editing," so my definition of its parameters might still be wrong, but I hope my point still comes through.

You might also have a project down the road, whatever it may be, that will require even the smallest amount of sound design, but, it will be up to you, and your sound editor (should you choose to hire one) to make the decision of whether or not to work on a more complex soundtrack as just another element to help establish and shape the universe of your film.

That's basically it.

Last edited:
Can you please forgive me?

Yes, I can. It's rare during heated internet exchanges that anyone "man's up" and apologises. I think much more highly of you for doing so. I'll try and take a look at your revised scene later, no promises but I will if I've got time.

If any of you have personally watched the original Star Trek TV series, then you might be familiar with some of the sound effects that they used on the show...

No. you continue to focus on sound FX design, not on sound design.

Now, plenty of very subtle and minute sound effects used for the background ambiance of a film you won't be able to hear without speakers that can pick up certain ranges of sound, but usually these sounds are not "vital" to telling the story ...

"Vital" to the story? Maybe or maybe not but vital to the storytelling? Absolutely! Take the section I quoted from the article in post #8, which was about how an almost imperceivable change in the sound significantly changed how the article's author experienced the scene, it changed the meaning of the scene. How vital is this scene and it's meaning? Without knowing the whole story I don't know but fundamentally it must has some importance otherwise why would it even be in the film? The same is obviously true about every other scene in the film.

It's an aspect of big-budget filmmaking that indie filmmakers can still achieve on a smaller scale, as long as they have the time and the resources for it. However, because it's only really necessary when one has the time or interest in going that complex with a sound track and sound effects, you are right in your own circumstances to say that they are probably unnecessary for your project.

If one is only interested in presenting a story using moving images and some sound, then sound design is not necessary. But if one is interested in engaging a modern audience then it all comes down to storytelling skill/ability, which in film today most definitely includes sound design! You therefore seem to be saying that if a filmmaker doesn't have the time and resources, that it's OK to exclude storytelling skill/ability, which is not a position I could ever agree with.

I think the real bottom line here, is if you don't need to "create" any new sounds that don't exist in the real world, and you don't need to "record" any lost sounds or Foley sounds that are required to replace sounds that you need but don't have with your footage: then you are correct: you do not need "sound design."

Incorrect!! In this situation, one might not need much in terms of sound FX design but one would virtually always need Foley and wider "sound design"!

I understand that "sound design" may still be a very particular aspect of "sound editing," so my definition of its parameters might still be wrong, but I hope my point still comes through.

If sound design were an aspect of sound editing then your point might be valid but as sound editing is itself effectively just one of the technical tasks upon which the art of sound design is based then, "no"! If you have a CAREFUL read of my post (#52), I provide a definition of sound design, which should hopefully clear up this confusion you seem to have about what sound design is. If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend you take a look at "The Principles of Sound Design" thread and especially the example/analysis given in posts #11 and #12.

If you took everything from a radio drama, did a minor remix to it, and shot live-action scenes to go along with it, it wouldn't be a whole lot different from a real film production of the 1950s, when radio dramas were still common.

It wouldn't be a whole lot different to some films of the 1950's, true. It would though be a lot different to the more sound designed films of the 1950's and obviously (I hope!) a lot different to today's films.

If the films you make are designed solely for playback on laptop, tablet or smartphone speakers, then much of the art of sound design would indeed be irrelevant to you, in which case I can't see why you would participate in this thread unless you were deliberately trying to derail it/troll!

G

The assertion made by Alcove was that I have never experienced sound design because I don't have good speakers. Neither do my intended audience.

"Sound Design," as we are discussing it regarding the article in the original post, is about theatrical release films. So I will stand by my statement. You can watch all videos you want about skydiving, talk to skydivers and even fly in the plane, but until you've actually jumped out of a plane with a parachute strapped to your back you've never experienced skydiving. Yes, there is lots of sound design that can be heard on smaller speakers, but until you've experienced a theatrical release film on a huge screen with a great sound system you've not experienced the film and its sound design as intended by the director and sound designer. Okay?

FilmmakerJ - your allusion to the original "Star Trek" TV series is a bit disingenuous as the series was originally made for the "small screen," so the sound design was created that way in the first place.

(Just for fun, there was an article quite while back comparing the sound design of "Star Trek" and "Star Wars." "Star Trek" is/was very musical or tonal in it's sound design, the sound team using lots of synthesizers to create sound effects; "Star Wars" is very organic, manipulating "real" sounds to create the sound effects.)

Last edited:
Alright.
I decided that at this point, to avoid any more confusion and (hopefully) embarrassment on my part, I went back and read as much as I could of all the preceding comments in this thread. I didn't read everything in totality, but nonetheless, I believe I get it now.

~AudioPostExpert.
In response to your response about my constant confusion over the definition of "sound design," I blame Guanto and soundslikejoe’s earlier argument for confusing me. I came into this thread thinking that I knew what sound design was--and I pretty much think I did--but then once I started reading through their argument on page 3, my understanding got totally turned around.

But, if I understand correctly now, Sound Design does not always have a specific and singular person in charge of that aspect of a film (as it can involve numerous persons), however, the process of "Sound Design" relates to the orchestration of every aspect of the sound track of a film (their levels, their EQ, their placement, their usage, their tone and flavor as it were), including also Foley, ADR, and the music: as the final mix of a film is also related.

If that is still not the correct definition (as I know there have also been more poetic ways of spinning it as well), then I apologize, and I will formally leave the defining up to the professionals in this matter.

I would also like to reiterate something that I still find troublesome from the earlier portions of this thread, as well as the very last post just above mine here. Specifically, the way in which you, ~Audio Alcove, have relayed your understanding of sound design to both ~trueindie and ~sfoster (both of whom I had been getting confused for each other, as their stances on this issue appear to have been very similar).

Consistently you (and I believe also ~APE) have asserted the position that a film “cannot truly be experienced” unless one is seated inside a quality theatrical environment with a quality sound system. This, I agree, cannot and should not be disputed, because it is indeed true. However, because of the way that you have chosen to word this response in the following quote: leaving off any other qualifying aspects or disclaimers...

I never said 5.1, I said "decent sound system." And you have never experienced sound design - or even the original intent of the film - until you go to a well maintained theater and experience a great film in 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos.

...you have made it appear as if this statement disqualifies all other possible experiences of sound design when watching a film on various different televisions and sound systems. Which is not only unfair but also incredibly misleading to those individuals here who may not know what you are really trying to express, and may assume, just as ~trueindie had, that what you are saying is that sound design as a whole, in any portion and variation of it, cannot be achieved or experienced with anything but the best and most high-quality of equipment and screening setup. And this new assumption cannot only become irritating to hear, but also disheartening, and does not serve to “better” their understanding of the subject or their own craft.

And while it is still true that one cannot "fully" (rather than "truly) experience sound design unless watching a film in a theater setting--so as to hear every nuance and creative choice of the soundtrack, along with its full fidelity--this should not mean to say that some aspects of sound design cannot still be experienced on subpar systems. Most of the world does it every day. The difference between a DVD’s quality and a Blu-ray’s quality when it comes to sound is also a big factor when watching films at home. So those of us who subscribe to watching a lot of blu-rays these days are getting a better experience at home than we used to.

And hey, I’ve seen the difference between a WAV file and an MP3 when I watch them on a wave-form monitor. So I understand there is also a difference there, especially when I’m recording and editing my voice over tracks and such. But when my ears hear both a WAV file and an MP3 side by side, especially when it’s a highly polished song or an audio track in a professional film, I really can’t tell the difference. The difference comes when something is created poorly from the get go. That is to say, if you create a bad soundtrack in the first place, and convert it all down to an MP3 file, it will sound worse than a high quality soundtrack, done with entirely lossless and full-fidelity tracks and clips, that has also been exported out to a compressed MP3 file.

A classical orchestral masterpiece presented live on stage is still appreciable and magical when it is presented on a CD-rom at home while sitting on your couch with headphones on. It’s not the same, it might not pound in the pit of your chest, and you may not pick up the subtleties of each and every instruments unique sound: but, it isn’t half-bad either.

Again, I cannot deny, however, that all of the things that I have read from both of you make sense, they are well-informed, and they speak true to the concept and practice of weaving sound design all throughout the process of creating a film: from beginning to end. Sound design is often a subconscious aspect of a film. Most people will not notice it right in front of them, but their subconscious recognition of it will inform them about many things regarding the film’s story, its characters, its locations, its tone/mood, and even its setting.

I don’t think I have yet to consider the implications of sound design within a film as early as the writing process. But I think the idea of considering these things so early on is a fascinating prospect, and one that I will work on with great interest when I begin work on my next major film project.

Despite what I have said here, I am completely serious when I say that you both (~Alcove and ~APE) have my respect when it comes to your expertize on the craft of sound design. It is indeed quite a lot to take in just how enormous the sound design process actually is when you break it all down. In fact, I daresay it can be as big and complex as numerous aspects of the film process put together, because it covers so much and has so many levels and layers to it. I honestly don’t think I’d ever really be able to do it myself, so I think I’ll leave the fine tuning and sound editing to someone more qualified. But when it comes to creating and designing aspects of it that I can relay to a sound designer as “part of my ultimate director’s vision,” this will now be inducted as the newest part of my regular pre-production process.

So I thank you both. And I thank the rest of you for explaining all that you have as well.

And I will be sure to go check out that article posted at the front of this thread when I have the chance.

But, if I understand correctly now, Sound Design does not always have a specific and singular person in charge of that aspect of a film (as it can involve numerous persons), however, the process of "Sound Design" relates to the orchestration of every aspect of the sound track of a film (their levels, their EQ, their placement, their usage, their tone and flavor as it were), including also Foley, ADR, and the music: as the final mix of a film is also related.

I think you're getting there! There usually is one person in charge though, the Sound Designer, although that term is commonly misused; at the low budget levels, filmmakers often only have one person do all the audio post and usually refer to that person as the Sound Designer, regardless of how much sound design they're actually doing. Often all they're really doing is sound editing/mixing. What separates sound design from just sound, is intent. Is the sound there to just accompany the visuals or is there some intent or "design" to manipulate the audience; make them think, feel or focus on something?

[1.] And while it is still true that one cannot "fully" (rather than "truly) experience sound design unless watching a film in a theater setting--so as to hear every nuance and creative choice of the soundtrack, along with its full fidelity--this should not mean to say that some aspects of sound design cannot still be experienced on subpar systems. Most of the world does it every day. [2.] The difference between a DVD’s quality and a Blu-ray’s quality when it comes to sound is also a big factor when watching films at home.

1. It's not just a quality of speakers thing, or rather it is but not how you imagine it to be. Cinemas have big powerful, expensive sound systems and the cinemas themselves are designed and built to have good acoustics. This combination of acoustics and powerful sound system provides a very large dynamic range, a dynamic range which commercial directors take full advantage of for dramatic impact. In other words, the average level of the dialogue is a long way below the peak output of which the system is capable, resulting in a lot of available dynamic range (headroom) above the level of the dialogue, great for all manner of loud sound FX. However, TVs for example have nowhere near the dynamic range capabilities of a cinema system and are usually used in rooms with very poor acoustics. A theatrical mix played on even a good HD TV would be almost un-listenable, some of the sound FX would be too loud for comfort and the dialogue would be very quiet, some/much of it likely inaudible. The situation is considerably worse again on laptop, tablet and smartphone speakers. As inaudible/incomprehensible dialogue is completely unacceptable to audiences, the only solution is to create different mixes designed for the different distribution types. Commercial features always have at least 2 different mixes and can have 7 or 8. When you watch a DVD, BluRay or TV broadcast of a feature film you are not hearing the original theatrical mix, not just because your speakers are different but because it's actually a different mix! Usually the director and sound designer only oversee the main theatrical mix, the re-mixes for TV and other media types are usually just left to the re-recording mixer or even outsourced. If that isn't bad enough, if you're not listening at home on a 5.1 system, the chances are that you're listening to stereo mix which has been automatically generated by a chip, from the already re-mixed TV or DVD versions! A chip by the way with default settings which, by definition, are a compromise.

2. To be honest, there's not much difference between DVD and BluRay sound. There is a difference or there can be a difference under certain circumstances but those differences are usually relatively minor compared to the differences mentioned above.

Sound design is often a subconscious aspect of a film. Most people will not notice it right in front of them ...

This is why so many no/nano filmmakers ignore sound design, either: 1. Because so much of it is designed to be subconscious, many amateur filmmakers, just like public audiences, simply are not aware they are experiencing sound design and therefore are not aware of it's existence, or 2. Those amateur filmmakers who are aware of what sound design is, choose to focus their efforts/attention on areas they feel are more important. IE. Areas which are more consciously obvious.

Although reason 2 sounds logical on the face of it, it really isn't, for two reasons: 1. Being largely subconscious doesn't equate to being less important, if anything it makes sound design more important. The fact that sound design can bypass the higher conscious reasoning centres of the brain and go straight to the reactive and emotion parts is precisely what makes sound design the most powerfully visceral tool in the filmmakers arsenal! 2. Paying audiences expect films to manipulate them, to involve them viscerally. They pay for the experience of a film, not to see some filmmaker present them with a moving image story. Many indie films, even many with decent budgets are shunned by paying audiences because they do not provide this visceral experience.

The question is therefore: Can a filmmaker really afford not to sound design their films? Even at the amateur level, which is getting increasingly competitive and saturated?

I don’t think I have yet to consider the implications of sound design within a film as early as the writing process. But I think the idea of considering these things so early on is a fascinating prospect, and one that I will work on with great interest when I begin work on my next major film project.

Good on you and don't forget to ask here if you need any advice or guidance!

It is indeed quite a lot to take in just how enormous the sound design process actually is when you break it all down. ... I honestly don’t think I’d ever really be able to do it myself, so I think I’ll leave the fine tuning and sound editing to someone more qualified. But when it comes to creating and designing aspects of it that I can relay to a sound designer as “part of my ultimate director’s vision,” this will now be inducted as the newest part of my regular pre-production process.

At the higher levels yes, it is a pretty complex and intensive process. A commercial film will usually require about double (or more) the amount of time for audio post as for the entire production phase and will likely require between a dozen and 5 dozen audio post specialists. Don't let this put you off though! No/nano budget filmmakers can't afford the best cinematographers either but they don't simply ignore the existence of cinematography, they do the best they can. Poor or mediocre cinematography is still better than none at all, same with sound design!

G

Commercial features always have at least 2 different mixes and can have 7 or 8. When you watch a DVD, BluRay or TV broadcast of a feature film you are not hearing the original theatrical mix, not just because your speakers are different but because it's actually a different mix! Usually the director and sound designer only oversee the main theatrical mix, the re-mixes for TV and other media types are usually just left to the re-recording mixer or even outsourced. If that isn't bad enough, if you're not listening at home on a 5.1 system, the chances are that you're listening to stereo mix which has been automatically generated by a chip, from the already re-mixed TV or DVD versions! A chip by the way with default settings which, by definition, are a compromise.

Oh!!

So wait, why didn't you just explain this from the very beginning?

'Cause I had absolutely no idea that a theatrical presentation and a home-video presentation of a film had completely different mixes, I really thought it was just a sound system variance. I knew there was a big difference between 5.1 and Stereo, but are you saying that the 5.1 used in a theater and a 5.1 used at home are also different from each other? And if you're saying that the mix I hear at home is also automatically generated at one point in the process to turn it into a stereo mix when I finally hear it through my headphones, then that means it is even further removed from the theatrical experience than I initially thought.

Last edited:
So wait, why didn't you just explain this from the very beginning?

Because this is a thread on sound design, the art of sound in film, rather than on the technical audio specs of different distribution types.

I knew there was a big difference between 5.1 and Stereo, but are you saying that the 5.1 used in a theater and a 5.1 used at home are also different from each other?

Correct, that is what I'm saying. Probably less than 0.1% of consumers would even have a 5.1 system with enough dynamic range to play a theatrical mix. It wouldn't make much sense to make a consumer product which deliberately eliminates 99.9% of potential customers! TV broadcast has a loudness specification which is even higher than many DVDs/BlueRays. The higher the average loudness, the lower the dynamic range. This spec for TV broadcast is mandated, either by federal law (in North America) or by regulation (in most of Europe). Online platforms like Youtube have no specs but by convention the levels are much higher again than even TV, to allow for the very poor speakers in laptops/portable devices.

And if you're saying that the mix I hear at home is also automatically generated at one point in the process to turn it into a stereo mix when I finally hear it through my headphones, then that means it is even further removed from the theatrical experience than I initially thought.

I won't say that's absolutely always the case but it is common and becoming more common. The probability is that if you're listening to a feature in stereo, you're listening to an automatically generated stereo mix (generated from a TV or DVD/BluRay mix). The public extremely rarely, if ever, hear or have access to the original theatrical mix outside of a cinema and their "experience" is usually much further removed from it than they might realise.

G

Back