• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch HERE WE ARE. short shot in iceland

Hello,
I'm glad to share with you the trailer of my last short film HERE WE ARE.
https://vimeo.com/158019402

Pitch: Two science students travel to a remote part of Iceland to test a large-scale magnetic theory.
But what they encounter is something larger than themselves, with ramifications that might go beyond the scope of the experiment.

hwa_00-thumb-630xauto-60169.jpg

Here is some words about in Twitchfilm http://twitchfilm.com/2016/03/trailer-for-short-film-here-we-are-barren-land-and-strange-gravity.html

I shot it in Iceland during 10days in RED scarlet, colorgrading on davinci, editing with premiere, post with after & May.

I'm glad if you got questions on how we made it, it was a hard trip.
but after all, it's always the case, right ?

https://vimeo.com/158019402

Thanks !!!
(as the forum, i'll answer in english)
The short was funded by crowdfunding ( 4K) and the rest by ourselves ( 15-20K)
It's hard to say really how much cause i'm not a big fan of keeping the bills... And all that, was on 3-4years, so, it eased the pain :)

As others have said, it looks great. It also looks like it has an interesting, maybe even exciting story but why does it sound so bad? Why does it sound like a slow funeral rather than an exciting story? Why an air raid siren, the sound of a ship's/submarine's sonar, why is there a huge dis-continuity in the sound and music halfway through and other dis-continuities right at the end? Why do we have ambiances from one scene over completely different scenes, why is there sometimes massive amounts of ambience, sometimes none at all and sometimes ambiances which cut in and out during a scene/shot, all for no apparent storytelling or logical reason?

I'm sorry to come across so harshly but I'm seeing this more and more often. Substantial amounts of: Time, money, effort, planning, knowledge, skill and expertise put into creating great visuals but apparently none of these same things put into the sound design. What is the overall effect of professional level (or very near professional level) visuals + beginner level sound/sound design? If this trailer is supposed to be a cinematography showreel, then it's impressive work but if it's supposed to be an actual short/film trailer for public consumption, then it's not so good, it's just a fraction as good as the visuals and story indicates it could/should be. I wonder why this is becoming more common, is it simply that technology is making it easier to capture great images while the art of filmmaking overall is just as difficult as it ever was?

Again, my apologies for being so brutal in my criticism. Hopefully though you will take it positively and use it to help you realise more of the potential of your story.

G

Hey G!
first thanks for your kind words, and also your not-so-kind-did-I-hurt-you-in-a-past-life words.
I'm sorry if the sound disappointed you, you have to keep in mind that it's a trailer, so some sound design were add to fit this exercice, of course that's not an excuse, but I can assure you that the final mix of the entire film was made by a professional team, here in paris.
So I'm really sad you accuse them to be at a beginner level, I'm sad for my sound engineer, for my sound producer, and of course for my sound designer/mixer.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if the sound disappointed you...

Whether it "disappointed" me or not is irrelevant. How come it doesn't disappoint you? Do you not even recognise the many serious faults I asked about?

...you have to keep in mind that it's a trailer, so some sound design were add to fit this exercice, of course that's not an excuse, but I can assure you that the final mix of the entire film was made by a professional team, here in paris.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that the actual film was done by professionals but the trailer wasn't? If so, why would you do this, why would you want to advertise a professional level film with an amateur level trailer? If you are saying that the trailer was also created by a pro audio team, then that's not going to wash. I can't conceive of any circumstances where a team of pros would produce something so incompetent, with the possible exception of being specifically instructed to do so by a director who refused all advice/recommendations.

So I'm really sad you accuse them to be at a beginner level, I'm sad for my sound engineer, for my sound producer, and of course for my sound designer/mixer.

I too am sad. I'm sad that you were either conned into thinking that bunch of beginners were professionals or, that you did hire professionals but somehow caused them to create beginner level work. I'm sad also that the director is seemingly incapable of differentiating between beginner and pro level work. And, because of this, I'm sad that your film, which initially looks good, has been ruined.

I take it, from the tone of your response, that you didn't come here for honest criticism? You just wanted to be patted on the back and told how wonderful and perfect your film is? If so, my apologies and I hope you achieve everything with your film you are hoping for.

G

Last edited:
Oh no, I came here for honest criticism.
I just don't see the point of being such a jerk.
I think you got a problem confusing honesty and politeness.
But It's part of the game, so...
have a wonderful life !

Oh no, I came here for honest criticism.
I just don't see the point of being such a jerk.
I think you got a problem confusing honesty and politeness.

I could have been "polite", I could have said that your visuals were very good but your sound design was not quite so good. However, that would have been a lie, it would NOT have been "honest" criticism. There is not a slight difference between the quality of your visuals and sound design but a very large difference. Unless you are just a photographer/cinematographer rather than a director/filmmaker, it's hard to understand how you could be so unaware of the size of this difference.

This is pure, albeit rather brutal, "honest" criticism. As such, it was intended neither to be polite NOR to insult you!! That you've taken it purely as an insult indicates your statement, that you came here for honest criticism, is just a platitude.

G

Back