• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Microphones: Understanding The Different Types

Thanxx for the input on Lavs...Im still quite the hack...I just ordered a set of Behringer C2 to play with for indoor recording, might work, might be a total waste of $. But $64 for a pair ?

These guys got decent reviews so Im waiting for delivery of my new toy.

C2_P0263_Reflective_web.png

They may work for ok you. I am not a big fan of most Behringer gear, but I haven't heard those.

If people are looking for small diaphram condensor mics, but want to spend a bit more, here are some options of mics that I personally like and use.

Shure sm81. Very flat response, with a nice natural sound but only available as cardioid. They have a pad switch and a 3 position roll-off switch.

Octava MC-012 ( or MK-012). These are darker sounding than the sm81. They have screw on capsules. Available capsules are cardioid, omni, and hypercardioid. No shotgun is available. They also have screw-on pad sections if you need them.

AKG C451EB or C452EB. Any AKG C451 will work, but the EB models are my favourites. They don't make the EB models any more however, so you have to look for them as used items. The current models are suffixed "B" .They are available as a body with a 3 position roll-off switch.
The srew on capsules available for them cover the cardioids, omni, short and long shotgun.
They are a bit brighter sounding than either the Shure or Octava mics.

I use a Behringer c-2 on acoustic instruments a lot. Not a great mic, but good for the price and pretty versatile. Behringer stuff is not great...but really good for the price range. Being on an extreme budget I have a lot of their stuff, and it's a little nicer than comparable price stuff (Nady, MXL, etc).

That said, ART does some really nice tube preamps that have a lot more interesting color than behringer gear, but for production sound, you aren't looking for color.

Hopefully NEXT on the shopping list $355 Film Edition Oktava MK-012

oktava_mk-012-01film.jpg

Yes they are handy mics. If you can stretch it to buy a matched stereo pair you may find they come in handy in quite a few situations. For the price they are pretty impressive and versatile.

Back