Casting Websites

The two you listed above :) They're the main ones.

Not in the UK they're not.

I can't really speak for the US but I would never post on Craigslist over here. It might be worth your while contacting local casting agencies or looking to see if there's an online agent directory in your area. Depending on how large the project is, you might also want to try a breakdown service.

I posted everywhere I could on my last project. Even Backstage.com, though I don't recommend it. The only responses I got on there where from people hundreds of miles away wanting me to pay their transport/lodging even for the audition. Um... what part of 'no pay' don't you understand?

But I digress...

90% of actors auditions came from craigslist, and the rest from an ad on actorpages.com.

Just remember with craigslist you'll probably have to post every couple days since things tend to get buried quickly.

Not in the UK they're not.

I can't really speak for the US but I would never post on Craigslist over here. It might be worth your while contacting local casting agencies or looking to see if there's an online agent directory in your area. Depending on how large the project is, you might also want to try a breakdown service.

London can be ok for it sometimes but in the Scotland section it's a barren wasteland. No postings. Luckily there's a filmmakers guild in my city (Glasgow), but that's not the case for everywhere around the world.

What part of the world?
Here in Aus, StarNow is used a lot (and I believe there is a UK and possibly American version of it) and the top of the chain is a web application called ShowCast.

The worldwide headquarters of Mandy.com is in the UK. The connect the film and TV community around the world to the business of making films.

I've had cast and crew people contact me from many different countries around the globe about my productions from my ads in Mandy.com.

Starnow.com is the best in my opinion - it does have a lot of amateur actors on there but their casting tools are really, really good.

I also use Mandy.com and Castingcallpro.com (not as keen on those though - mostly for technical reasons - they have some great talent on there)

In LA NowCasting.com is pretty popular for non-union casting as is LACasting.com , although the more experienced and SAG actors tend to be on ActorsAccess.com
Some of these sites probably cater to Chicago too.

actorsaccess.com is the number one place that actors go to find roles. (My daughter is an actress.) Setting up an account there is the first thing that actors do after getting a headshot and resume. This is because essentially all union film and TV casting notices (breakdowns) go through Breakdown Services, which runs actorsaccess.com. To post a breakdown that will show up on actorsaccess.com, go to breakdownexpress.com and click the orange "Post a Breakdown" button. I haven't seen the casting side of the site (only the actors side), but my understanding is that it provides good tools to help you keep track of submissions.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for me, I live in North Dakota. Our Craigslist for acting is completely dead and we don't even exist on Mandy...
The advice actors get when they don't live in major markets (other than moving) is to do local community theater, so I suppose you could connect with local community theaters to find actors and also any college acting programs. But I guess you probably do that already.

Back