DIY Light kit???

I seem to remember threads on this subject but I can't seem to find them :no:

What I was hoping was to go to Home Depot or Lowes and make some purchases. I don't know how to make my own light kit but I would like to know what to buy from those of you who are handy or DIY inclined. Maybe I can figure it out myself...

Would it be possible to get inexpensive lighting 'tripods'? I have seen some cheap ones to go with the handicams and some of the discount stores and was considering using them if they don't have a plate or head on them.

I have yet to start looking, but I wanted to go into the store with an idea of what I should get.

I remember the silver worklights someone suggested and using the flourescent lights which would be cooler as suggested by knightly. I think I would need extentions cords (?). What would you suggest for diffusion again?

...I know this has been covered, so if you just want to send me to the thread, that's okay too, but I'll probably ask you about the things on the list. I remember having some questions.....

-- spinner :cool:

If you get the clamp lights I was recommending, make sure you get the ACDelco brand...better sturdier clamps. For the lights, I'm using the GE Softwhite flourescents. ebay will score you cheap lighting stands (8' or so) for $40ish...if you need to throw more light outside or through a window, the craftsman 500-1000 watt work lights work like a champ...they won't mix well with the flourescents color wise though.

For diffusion, you can use a white bedsheet hung from a mike boom stand and blast some lights at it. I've also got some picture frames with a white silk stapled to it...fabric remnant warehouses are your friend...bounce cards will soften light too...basically anything that will turn your light into a large surface casting the light on your subject from a close proximity - smaller or far away light sources make harder shadows. Make sure you shoot tons of tests when you get whatever you get as well.

I like the chinalantern light idea.

as for lighting in a backdrop or bluescreen, as an inexpensive and effective option, I lay shop lights on the floor just under the greenscreen and have them point upward and on top I have tracklights using standard 100 watt bulbs and position them so the lighting is seamless.

works pretty good. then, you position the chinese lantern in front of your subject and you wont get any shadows behind him/her/it on the backdrop.

I cant remember which plugin in vegas editing software I used (I think emboss) but it has a way of creating a very realistic shadow effect so once you're done with your shot, you can just simulate shadow so it matches and points in the same direction. I wont create a shadow behind your subject but it will creat an illusion that the light source is coming from the same direction. It really makes a difference in the shot because it doesnt look staged, it looks Natural or outdoor.

Im about to build my greensscreen today. When my wife comes home, Im gonna go pick up some foamboard.

I tried many types of material. I tried some plyboards but i had to take them down because they started to buckle a bit. Foamboard stretches better so it shouldnt be effected by moisture or temp changes.

When I pick it up, im gonna make a tutorial vid. Then I will demonstrate how its done. I was just waiting for the summer to end so I can get back to my projects.

I also have to pick up some new lights.

Last edited:
For Indie lights ... even softlights I recommend introducing some kind of barndoors so you can specifically direct light. Have plenty of CTB and CTO on hand to get the look you want. Dont forget diffusion.

China lanterns are great but they are broad so can make the overall image a little flat.

Beware of fire hazards. One time, when I was in college, somebody lost the barndoors for a light and I fashioned cardboard barn doors for one. On the last take, you see me running just as the burning "barndoor" falls to the floor and stomp out the fire. I recommend you get some Black Wrap (very heavy duty aluminum foil) used on sets to cut down on light spilling around and shape lights. Handy stuff.

Scott

Back