• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I just need verification...

Does this sound like a good idea for a story?

A rich guy who made billions off of some crazy idea during the dot.com boom has an only child. At first everything is great between him and his son but by the son’s mid teens, he somehow falls into the ideas espoused by some crazy radical fundamentalist group in the middle east. He ends up fleeing his home one day and joins the group only to become a terrorist who blew up a municipal building killing thousands of innocent people, including himself.

Years later, after the incident, he divorced his wife. Now, he’s living some fucked up life as a rich retired guy who pays this young guy who looks like his son to meet him at this hotel, where he proceeds to kick his ass. He does this three or four times a week.

Eventually after a while the kid decides to leave but, the guy won’t have it. The kid was actually a desperate drug addict trying to do whatever it took to get his fix. He just happened to run into this guy. But one day he finds a girl who wants to help him straighten his life out.

Essentially, the whole story is told from the kid’s perspective and how he eventually defeats this crazy guy who needs him to be around because he hasn’t met anyone whose come close to looking like his son, the terrorist.

It has some potential, but isn't there yet.

With stories like these, the devil is really in the details. Since it doesn't seem to be high concept, it'll come down to how interesting the characters are and the flow of the story. If I were you, I'd avoid stories where the main character is using/recuperating from drugs.

It's an interesting idea, but it seems you have backstory but not much actual story - if the story is told from the kid's perspective, then all that interesting stuff about the other kid getting radicalised is largely irrelevant beyond a small amount of exposition.

Does not do it for me.

If you plan on trying to sell the screenplay, the concept would be a very tough sell.

If you want to direct yourself: go ultra-low budget, and see if you can write something that you could pull off in a very small number of locations - ideally one.

Thanks for the honest feedback. This was actually just an exercise. Every time I drive for more than an hour I make an effort to see if I can come up with a story before I reach my destination. This was the result of one such occasion. Usually, it takes me the whole trip but in this case, it just sort of clicked in about five minutes.

Anyway, the story would be told through the eyes of the guy whose getting his ass kicked. See, he has no idea who this rich guy is because he hides his identity and he definitely doesn't know why he beats him up. We'd start the setup by showing his bittersweet story of how he's living a nice middle class life with the love of his life but their both heroin addicts so its not very rosy and active like a typical family. Obviously, I'd have to come up with some interesting parts to this but that's the gist of it.

Eventually, he and his girlfriend decide to sober up and try to live a clean life. Things are starting to look positive and he's even ready to quit his fucked up job of getting his ass kicked every week. But when he tries to quit, he's threatened by this rich guy.

Now he's stuck in this horrible situation when all he wants to do is go completely clean. His friend gives him bad advice and tells him that if this guy is so rich, he must be pretty important, which means that if he can find out who he is, then he can blackmail him into letting him quit. The main character thinks that its a bad idea but his friend insists that if all of it is exposed to the media he won't be able to kill and get away with it. He convinces him to find out who he is and give the information on him to a trusted friend before he talks to the rich guy, just to cover his ass. His friend won't do it because it's too risky.

So, the main character decides to give it to his dad after explaining everything to him. The big plot point ultimately is when he finally calls the rich guy up and explains what he did. The rich guy is basically not having it so, he hangs up and sooner than he can notify his dad, he's kidnapped.

Obviously, the rest needs to be developed but there's a lot that could easily be added. Think Trainspotting meets Taken.

lol thats pretty unique, I think you should make it into a short film. It just needs a certain style to it. Example is it could be serious serious or it could be breaking bad semi-serious. I picture the guy being like Jesse and he realizes he made a mistake and there could be some humor when he phones badger and he says stuff like "yo im in some serious shit here man".

Or the serious approach, I'm not really sure.

Back