• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Comparing Premiere Pro vs. Sony Vegas Pro

I am a no-budget filmmaker. I have produced two previous feature films using Premiere 6.5, and that application was just fine for what I am doing. I was wondering what are the pros and cons of using Premiere Pro vs. the less expensive Sony Vegas.

When I Google it, I find good and bad things about both -- very confusing. Does Vegas really crash constantly, and is the render time really THAT much slower than Premiere?
NOTE -- I am talking about projects that will be 90 minutes in length.

Bottom Line --- which one of these applications will give me fewer headaches (crashes, quirks) ? Which would be easier and more reliable? I just want something basic that is going to work.

Last edited:
If you can handle the pricing, I'd definitely stick to Premiere. It's more reliable than Vegas Pro and has the quick link to After Effects and Speedgrade and what have you.

I was a 9 year user of Vegas when I switched at CS6. I have no regrets. Vegas is great for feature films - I used 7 and 9 for three features - but I realized my work is getting more effects heavy, so I moved to premiere to take advantage of dynamic link. Both will do fine, but I find the Adobe offering has more features with it's entire suite

I found it to be about the same honestly. Vegas rarely crashed on me (versions 4,5,7 and 9) and Premiere has been no different. Render times are about the same as well. The only increases I've seen are from upgrading my hardware.

Back