Ever Root For The Villain?

Sometimes I find myself particularly enjoying a villain and their 'antics' although being aware of their evils. I'm sure everyone does this.

But I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises as we speak and find myself completely siding with Bane. He wants to change the corrupt way the oppressive class system functions. I'm not done watching it, and know that it won't end this way, but I want him to win, even though his actions are, as he describes, "A necessary evil."

With minor alterations to his actions, and assuming the world would find a new balance once the anarchy ended, would he not undoubtedly be considered a hero?

The best thing about a film are the characters, and I think they made, not only a terrifying, menacing, BIG sumbitch, villain, but also a truly reasonable (and completely possible in real life) motive to go along with him. This is the best character I've ever analyzed and it has inspired me to write villains as more than just a challenge to the protagonist.

I almost always find myself rooting for the villains in my favorite movies. In my opinion they tend to be far more interesting than the other characters.

Some examples:

Jigsaw / John Kramer from the Saw films. ( I'd actually love to see this character in a chess match with one of my other favorite black hats, Hannibal Lecter.)

Loki from Thor and The Avengers. (Okay, so maybe I'm attracted to clever characters.)

John Doe from Se7en. (Yup, definately a pattern regarding clever villians here...)

Otis Driftwood from House 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. (Okay, so I also like ones who know how to make a statement and have a sense of humor too.)

bad guys are people too..

few villains, imaginary or otherwise, think themselves evil. They are doing what they think is best. How they got their little brains twisted so badly is often what the story is REALLY about..

I shall quote one of the best characters in film history:

"You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil! You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough. "

He literally blew up the establishment and was hunted by police.

He was antiestablishment because he was a victim of an injustice.

I will add the guy who fought back the system in Law Abiding Citizen too because he wanted justice for his family.

Back