Flycam Nano - budget stabiliser

chilipie

Pro Member
indiePRO
I ordered one of these last Friday for £100 shipped and it turned up first thing yesterday morning. Technically, its 700g weight limit shouldn't even support the 550D and kit lens, but I've seen good results on it with a 5D MkII and 24 f/1.4 L so I wasn't too worried.

nano-6.jpg

From what I've seen so far, it's sturdy and surprisingly well made. Took a long time to balance the first time, but once you've got the right idea it's actually quite simple to do, though I wouldn't recommend using it without a quick release plate unless you fancy rebalancing every time you change a battery.

I'm not going to be one of those people who clog up YouTube posting video of their first run (or even worse, post a video when they "didn't have time to balance it") as it probably won't make me or the stabiliser look any good. However, I've been asked to be B cam operator on a music video the weekend after next and the DoP was very keen for me to try out a few shots with it, so if all goes to plan I'll be posting some of my shots up in a couple of weeks for you all to laugh at, alongside a review that's slightly more substantial than just my initial impressions.

If you have any questions please ask away - I know I was a bit apprehensive about dropping that much on a product that's not that established, but I've been very happy with it so far.

Ollie

So after the first 90° degree rotation, I don't have to balance it side to side, just fore-aft ?
This seems weird as once I make the rotation, it become very right-heavy. It seems I can make it worse but loosening the left screw but I can't make it really batter.

If loosening the left screw makes it worse, then you need to tighten the left screw and loosen the right one.

Adust the yoke bearings equally – i.e. loosen one and tighten the other the same amount - and do it in small increments.

Back