Indie Film Sound Idea

Hello
I have been doing a LOT of research for a while, trying to decide the best way to capture the sound for a feature film i am making. As i have spent such a long time now, i figured i would share the ideas i have had, to either help someone or get some feedback.

So the best way to capture sound on an indie film production is by a good boomed mic and boom operator.
But this means you have to find someone willing to commit to this role, then you have to schedule them into your filming schedule. This is why i have been hoping there is another option. One that would even let me conduct a shoot with just me and the talent.

Wireless lapel mic systems are expensive and not not particularly reliable. So here are some interesting products i found that i feel will provide an good alternative.

The Zoom H1 at £70 is actually cheaper than a good wireless transmitter, more reliable and better battery life. Then Rode PinMic, can be placed discretely outside cloths, (creating less chance of contact with cloths). Finally you use software like PluralEyes to sink up all the different recording with your cameras built in mic.

Anyway, this is what i will probably end up buying. I will film a short show the results here some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
why'd even go for anything else than the h1? the recorder itself should be more then enough, put a dead cat on that bad boy and you have "quality" audio for my standards.

Sounds like a lot of trouble and headaches when you could just do it right with a boom op. A boom op is not some million dollar effect you are trying to replicate on a budget, it's a proven, and affordable necessity for your film, so find a way to do it.

you can also just get like 3 or 4 different cheap microphones and just manipulate it so that the voices cut in at the right times and other noises are reduced.

so long as you have one mic thats within a few feet of everyone's mouths is the tricky part.

edit: and also dub over everything you don't like, like a fascist.

Last edited:
Back