• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenwriting contest

Two questions.

I was considering entering my screenplay in some contest and have a question. Let's say you enter a screenplay contest and win and later you make your own independent film on that screenplay, would winning disqualify you from entering your film in any film festivals.

I believe they say if you enter your independent film in one festival you may not enter it in another because you already had your premiere, not quite sure. Could someone explain the premiering your film on one festival means you can't on another.

thanks

max70 said:
Two questions.

I was considering entering my screenplay in some contest and have a question. Let's say you enter a screenplay contest and win and later you make your own independent film on that screenplay, would winning disqualify you from entering your film in any film festivals.

I believe they say if you enter your independent film in one festival you may not enter it in another because you already had your premiere, not quite sure. Could someone explain the premiering your film on one festival means you can't on another.

thanks

even if you did win in a festival, i'm quite sure they would let you submit it into another. I'm pretty sure people do that all the time, and submit their films into a number of festivals.

our very own Indietalk's to skin a cat won several different awards at several different festivals. You can buy it on DVD from customfliks, his thread is around here somewhere (i did :) )

So i think the answer to your question is that you can submit your film multiple times, but it might depend on the festival's rules...

Some fest are a bit picky, though.

One of the really big ones has a policy like that... film has to be a premiere at that fest, for one of the prizes.

Could someone explain the premiering your film on one festival means you can't on another.

This will vary from fest to fest. Some won't care; others will.

Make a list of the fests you'd like to enter your film in (because there's no way you'll be able to afford to enter them all) and when you have your list... read up on their policies. It may mean juggling about your submission schedule, if you need to be a premiere at a certain prized fest.

Might be time to get that book by Chris Gore, as well. :)

_______

No idea on the question about entering a script for a screenwriting contest, then making film later, and how that would affect eligibilty.

:cool:

what i getting is it doesn't matter if you had a premiere in other festivals. I think i heard if you had a primiere somewhere it can't qualify for sundance, something like that.

also, i believe it doesn't matter if your screenplay wins contest and you enter it later as a comleted film in other contest. just checking.

I think ultimately it depends on the festival and/or contest rules..

Apparently it is also common to save the official "premiere" announcement for a festival that prefers to show premieres, but generally show the film around to people before hand.. like putting a link on here, or showing people around town and such. I dunno if that makes sense or not, since I'm sitting in the middle of class trying to tune out my instructor right now, my thought process is a bit convoluted. ;)

There was a book that touched on this that I was reading recently... I think it was either "The Filmmakers Ultimate Guide to Short Films: Making it BIG in SHORTS" or "$30 Film School".. not sure which one, but both are good reads.. the first is (at least to me) pretty inspirational. :D

Last edited:
Will Vincent said:
I dunno if that makes sense or not, since I'm sitting in the middle of class trying to tune out my instructor right now, my thought process is a bit convoluted. ;)
Will Vincent's signature:
"The public school system stunted my creative growth."

:rofl:

Zensteve said:
Some fest are a bit picky, though.

One of the really big ones has a policy like that... film has to be a premiere at that fest, for one of the prizes.

This will vary from fest to fest. Some won't care; others will.

o...i forgot about rules... :D

Back