movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Myths and Monsters. 9.5/10 (on Netflix)

It's really good, especially the first episode, which is a nice explanation of the hero's journey. It's a nice show about story telling. It features lots of lovely art to illustrate their narrative. Well done.

Blade Runner 2049. I bought the video last weekend having not seen it. Not sure what I think of it yet. Better let it live with me for a bit. Pretty sure it will not be as influential or iconic as the original. Suffers a bit from being created in these times. Suffers from not being directed by Scott. The romance between K and the holographic girl is lovely and it made me think of Her, naturally. Her is a very good movie and I recommend it.

The CG recreation of Sean Young didn't really cut it though, and that's a pretty serious shortcoming, sorry to say. It really didn't capture her resemblance. :( Oh, it looks pretty close to being a real person…it just doesn't look enough like Sean Young.

Without Googling it, do they intend to make a sequel? If so, cool. Seems like it is intended. Will the box office receipts allow it?

It reminded me quite a bit of another film, Automata. I think in some ways it is quite similar and actually a superior film, minus the lovely nudity: sorry to say it's lacking that. I kind of think, to some extent, it is a better "sequel" to Blade Runner.

Last edited:
Blade of the Immortal (8/10)
Bloody yet sometimes funny samurai film by Miike Takashi.
It is an adaptation from a manga.
The tone is far less serious than in his 13 Assassins remake, but it has great fighting scenes, nice twists and clever edits.

Blade Runner 2049. I bought the video last weekend having not seen it. Not sure what I think of it yet. Better let it live with me for a bit. Pretty sure it will not be as influential or iconic as the original.
Does 2049 have good special features? I wanna see those.
Have you seen the BTS docu on the 1st one called Dangerous Days? pretty amazing.
I agree with you about 2049 suffering from being created in these times & with Scott not directing.
I wish he had done this, I think it would have a better chance of being influential. But I still like it a lot.

Re: the spoiler, that's Tyrell's fault, not the filmmakers' haha :)
If you like "Her", check out Netflix, Black Mirror, Season 2 episode 1, "Be Right Back".
It came out the same year & I actually liked it better.

Wiki says a sequel depends on 2049's success but it doesn't look like it's made a profit yet, which is a shame.
Its exploration of concepts & ideas is a nice companion to other sci-fi films that are more action/fantasy. Hopefully it makes a lot more money on home release. Or maybe it will grow a following later like the 1st one. I'd love to see a 3rd film by Scott.

Last edited:
Star wars last jedi. meh. kinda boring.
only interesting parts to me were bc I wanted to see what happened to the luke skywalker character

Blade of the Immortal (8/10)
Bloody yet sometimes funny samurai film by Miike Takashi.
It is an adaptation from a manga.
The tone is far less serious than in his 13 Assassins remake, but it has great fighting scenes, nice twists and clever edits.
I couldn't get through 13 Assassins but I really like Blade of the Immortal, cool samurai film with a bit of a supernatural angle.

Does 2049 have good special features? I wanna see those.

Oh no I haven't watched those yet. Oh...goodies to look forward to. I hope to soon.

No I haven't seen Dangerous Days. I will try to. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, I think I will like it a lot too. I do really appreciate it. I appreciate that it was made. I appreciate that they didn't compromise it by making it a PG-13 film. It's cool.

It does make me think of a little quibble I have. I once had a silly blog post here about Blade Runner. I asked what exactly replicants are. I meant: what do the movies themselves say? It seems to me very little, actually. It seems to me the first film, and this film as well, is vague, probably intentionally so, and maybe sloppily so, even if done artfully. I mean there's the android comment, but are they really androids? No, it's doesn't seem to follow, in my opinion. It seems they are genetically engineered humans, organisms. They are biological.
They are sexual. So, how much sense is it that their sexual reproduction would have monumental, pillar-shaking importance? I don't get it.

Not that it bothers me, really. They use it to move the story along. So be it. It's all in good fun.

Tryell, lol. Yes I suppose so.

Yeah, hopefully it will do well enough overseas, on video, and beyond so that a good follow-up will be made.

Last 5 films I watched:

Seven Days in May (1964) 9/10
Duck Soup (1933) 6/10
Drive (2011) 8/10
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1943) 5/10
The Conversation (1974) 9/10

I asked what exactly replicants are. I meant: what do the movies themselves say? It seems to me very little, actually. It seems to me the first film, and this film as well, is vague, probably intentionally so, and maybe sloppily so, even if done artfully. I mean there's the android comment, but are they really androids? No, it's doesn't seem to follow, in my opinion. It seems they are genetically engineered humans, organisms.
Interesting point. Replicants do seem more like genetically engineered organisms instead of humanoid robots/machines. But if it's left vague how they're made, then there's probably a big part of them that's still robot/machine instead of organism. So then it Is a big deal if they can reproduce.

I would guess one reason it's left vague is so that the audience can see them as more human. Because then it raises questions like, is it right to play god by making them & is it right to make them serve us.

Correction from earlier. That was actually Wallace's fault, not Tyrell's. Wallace's replicants don't seem to be as good as Tyrell's, so it makes sense you wouldn't be convinced. So maybe their imperfect CG was done on purpose? hehe :)

The Cloverfield Paradox. Wasn't bad, a bit predictable. I don't like how the Cover monster is now a result of a mashing and blending of realities. It was much scarier when it was either an alien, or a mutation caused by a crashed satellite in the ocean.

The Circle. (On Amazon Prime) 7/10.

Quite possibly the scariest film ever made. :scared:

The Ritual. (Netflix Original) 7/10

Pretty good monster flick, really. The plot isn't great, but serves well enough for what it is. But the monster is done surprisingly well, like pretty damn well…like, as if for a film with a much larger budget. Impressive. You shouldn't have to feel like, oh, that's a cheap, unbelievable CGI monster. Instead, they achieve the opposite of that.

Kong: Skull Island. 7/10.

Not as bad as I suspected it would be. Pretty decent. But what is their explanation for why Kong stands and walks like a human, anyway? No big. I have to say John C. Reilly steals the show. :)

Life. 7/10.

Finally. I love this sort of scifi. But…kinda meh. Hey glad when they make these, don't get me wrong. But some annoyances with characters making stupid or inconsistent choices etc.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. 5/10.

I read some essay purporting to explain why it did poorly at the box office. It suggested the usual sort of things, including what's become the usual and seemingly obligatory PC agenda rubbish, some of which may be so. But they forgot to mention the primary reason: it's just not very good. I'm sad to say it because I love sword and sorcery, at least when done well. But bringing the thug/street to the Arthurian legend just didn't work, at least not for me, and I'm guessing not for many. I can imagine it seemed cool to some in concept. Unfortunately, the outcome was not so good. :/

The Wailing. (It's on Netflix). 8/10

Quite good. I think more-or-less a long, slow burn kind of movie. Seemed to me like an interesting slice of life sort of movie as well as a thriller and a horror.
Twisty.

Nightworld (On Netflix)(Gravitas Ventures, but don't let that put you off, lol). 7/10

Looking for a half-decent supernatural thriller? This should do okay.

Mune (On Netflix, btw) 6/10

The story is quite childish, sure, and without a lot of substance. But art and animation are lovely.

Temple. (On Netflix). 6/10.

Not so bad of a thriller. Worth watching, I think, if you're in the mood. Just keep your expectations fairly low.

Spa Night. (On Netflix) 8/10.

A rather sad slice of life film, but well worth spending time with, I think, if it's your cup of tea. The production quality is top notch, really. Impressive to me in that way, for what must be such a small, independent film that would no doubt only appeal to or find a relatively small audience.

IT. 7/10

Not so bad. Monster is done quite well.

Last edited:
Blade Runner 2049: 9/10

I'm a big Denis Villeneuve fan, but I was bummed out after having heard Johann Johannsson (my favorite current film composer) was replaced by Hans Zimmer. However, when I finally watched the film I thought it was incredible and really dug the score.

I, Tonya and "Disaster Artist were both quite enjoyable.

Disaster Artist wasn't as good as Living in Oblivion, which remains my favorite film about making a film.

Shape of water was great too.

Back