New guy into documentaries

Hi All, I am a new member of this forum. I have been lurking for a while and I finally decided to join. I am planning to make an independent, experimental microbudget (~6.000 dollars) documentary (subject is top secret, but it will involve mainly interviews to people sitting indoor).

Despite loving indie movies and watching lot of documentaries I have never been involved into filmmaking (expect a brief experience as audio assistant for a friend who was making an indie movie) I want to express myself and make people aware on topics I consider important and as my future job future job (I am a student atm) could involve documentaries, I really want to getting into documentaries making :)

Hope I will be able to learn from this community and whenever possible help :)

subject is top secret

The secret is out. It's "Top Secret". I think they even made a movie on the subject.

TSCow-11.png

On a more serious note, good luck with your documentary. Your experience as an audio assistant should bring with you the knowledge and some weighing of the importance of capturing great audio. You rarely get to reshoot interviews.

Thank you all for the welcome!

@Sweetie Yes you are right about reshooting interviews! I learned a lot (as far as it is possible in few weeks) from my friend, especially that organization is fundamental, and that as he always told me you can do a lot of post video editing but with a terrible audio you can't do much!

@directorik I gave myself a year: to learn "how to make a documentary",this summer i want to finish the script and storyboard it, i hope to make it in 10 months (i am a full time student and work part time so i cannot dedicate many hours a week), and then dedicate 2 months for editing and releasing it

@sfoster that is cool if you have any tips for a newbie do not hesitate!

ps: i have some questions about the camcorder i want to buy -> http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=399138#post399138 some help to decide would be great!

Back