Tripod for T2i?

I am trying to figure out a good tripod for my camera but unfortunately I don't much about what makes a good tripod. Anyone have any suggestions? Also I am looking for something between $150-$400

Check out:
Manfrotto 055XPROB, Davis & Sanford has a few nice ones in your range,
the Giottos VGR9265-MC, the Vortex RC 128 has a legs/head kit with a
fluid head,

I have the T2i and I use the "Tiffen Davis & Sanford ProVista 7518 Tripod and Head, 75 Video Tripod With FM-18 Fluid Head" and it is OK.. I want a heavier one to keep from wobbling when panning it is a problem w/ this one. The T2i is so light so the tripod is easy to jar or wobble. I suggest that you think heavy for stability's sake and get a second medium weight tripod for run and gun.

Here's the thing that I don't understand. I can buy a 20 dollar tripod and a 200 dollar tripod and film a clip using each. I guarantee nobody would be able to tell what video clip was taken with what tripod.

Matt correct, but which one do you want your expensive camera on when someone in the talent pool or crew accidentally gives it a little bump ? Let's say you are in the middle of a scene and you need to talk to the talent, you walk over to the talent and that actor not in the scene walks by the $20 tripod or is horsing around and gives it a little bump. Which one is easier to get smooth pans ? $20 or $200 ??? The $20 ones tend to fall apart and are too light IMO. Put the cam on it and you have a top heavy time bomb just waiting to crash to the ground. heck even on a windy day, Ive had a tripod want to fall over.

If you have a $200 cam go w/ $20 tripod.. $1,000 cam & lenses, I want insurance.

I've got a couple of tipods which cost about 50-60 quid each. They both work fine. To be honest, I've used more expensive tripods and I can't really feel the difference. Keeping it well oiled is probably more important for a smooth pan, because when they get any sort of dirt/rust..etc stuck in there it becomes an impossible challenge trying to get it smooth...

Here's the thing that I don't understand. I can buy a 20 dollar tripod and a 200 dollar tripod and film a clip using each. I guarantee nobody would be able to tell what video clip was taken with what tripod.
I believe you.

However, for me the tripod isn't about what the viewer
will see as much as it is about my ease of use and durability.
A $200 tripod is likely to outlast a $20 one. It's also likely
to be built of sturdier materials. I have a Bogen that I
purchased for an astounding $380 in 1984 when I was
making $4.25 an hour. I still use it. That's a whopping $14
per year or about $2 per shoot.

I wonder if I had purchased a $20 tripod back then if I'd
still be using it...

Back