Cost cutting tips shooting film?

Hi, just wondering what sort of tips anyone might have. In regards to cost cutting, when making your first feature on film?

Thanks

Speilbergo

Easiest way? Inflate the initial budget and then agree to any cost-cutting measures suggested.

smiley_creepy.gif

When your DP asks for $500/day - offer $350
When the caterer quotes $12 per meal per person - offer $8
When the rental house offers 2.5 day weeks - ask for 1.5 day weeks.

Go over the script with your UPM or First AD very carefully and cut two days out of the schedule. Combine two locations into one.

Very good planning is the best way to save money. Surprises cost money and if you can avoid them through good planning, you'll save money.

Another way to save money is write a script which is economical. Do you need all the elements in your script? Can you pare down a few extras and locations? Things to avoid: big crowds, rain, animals, children, water in general, huge night scenes outside, etc.. you get the picture.

Hire good people who know their jobs. Sometimes some money upfront will save you lots of money on the backend. They will save you money by doing their jobs and you will not have to redo things or fix mistakes in post.

Scott

I agree with all of the above, but the real trick to making a feature film on practically no budget, is to have a fantastic script that people will want to work on and to surround yourself with highly skilled, talented and creative people, who will love the project so much that they will devote their time and skills to creating it.

The people you work with need to feel that it is as much their film as yours, that they have as much to gain from doing it right as you do. Low budget indie film making is not the home of autuer directors, it has to be a creative collaboration.

If you create the right creative atmosphere and refuse to compromise on the production values, if the people that you choose to work with have access to the right resources, then your budget can come down to tape/film stock, insurance, transport, catering, a small props budget and a contingency fund to solve any last minute problems.

At this point, there is no limit to how low your budget can become.

Everything else is just about good planing and patience

Passion works miracles!

Also agreed. Your passion and drive is a far greater incentive than all the copy, credit and meals you throw at people. Also, I feel this prepares you for when you have a decent budget and need to make miracles. Even if you're paying people, they still have to be inspired.

Oh, and from VERY personal experience, you can usually get a great cinematographer to come on board a wonderful project for free, but for heaven's sake, pay for a great location sound mixer!!! I just finished the sound mix on my feature, and I could have saved myself a LOT of hassle, and ultimately $$$, by getting the audio right the FIRST time!

Good luck!

---------------
Jim McMahon
Producer . Director . BLOODSHED
www.drainbamagefilms.com

Back