• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Script Development

Hey,

Glad to be here. Now am working on a drama script but halfway through I'm stuck and I need help fleshing out the story and coming up with a powerful ending. I also need to develop stronger tension between the protagonist & antagonist. The synopsis is right here:

A young woman - EVE- is under pressure from her ageing mother to have a church wedding. That had been the mother's dream but her husband walked away on her. But Eve meets with her ex and have a one night stand. Then the ex starts to blackmail her with photos unless she gets back with him. Unknown to the ex, the two had a daughter when they were still dating. The daughter has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Eve is caught in between taking care of her sick kid and ensuring her fiance doesn't find out her secrets.

I need help finding a nice finish. Generally I would like Eve to undergo an inner transformation that will make her put down her pride. Kindly help

Daughter dies as Eve get's married (walks down the Isle) Dude finds out about daughter at the same time. When Eve gets to the alter we zoom out to find that it's a small room in Vegas. Roll credits!

What secrets is she trying to hide from the ex - that they have a kid together? Is there a reason why she is hiding the existence of his daughter from him? That doesn't seem fair to either him or the daughter - even if he is a shit - so that is an avenue that might be worth exploring.

I would consider introducing Man 2 - an alternative romantic interest for your main character. He should be interesting and attractive to her but not perfect. At the end of act 2, I think she should need to make a choice between the 2 men.

To me, the epiphany should be something about how the most important issue is to make a life with the one you love, not the kind of wedding you have (or don't have, if that's your preference). Perhaps the mother can come to that realization as well.

You could also have her end up alone but happier, as she learns to build her own life and joy.

Good luck and welcome to IndieTalk!

Also btw - I moved your thread to the Screenwriting section :)

Last edited:
I really don't get it, why someone even write a script if they haven’t find the basic things like the ending or the transformations of the characters? These things are the ones that keeps you motivated to finish your script. These are the things that makes you sure that your script will create emotions. What else is there that keeps you motivated to write, if you are asking help for the basics? Why you even started that script in the first place? It's NOT an ironic question, but a sincere one.

Awesome insights. I had planned the daughter to die just as the dude just found out. And he can't stop blaming himself for not being there for her all her life. I might want him to transform too, from his criminal behavior

The two dated over ten years ago, and the ex was young and irresponsible so Eve did not see the need to tell him.

Eve's secrets:
* She was sexually abused by her father before he walked out on their family
* Her one night stand with her ex and the ensuing consequences
* She is stealing from her work to support her daughter's treatment
* She is pregnant with her ex and later when they become close again with her fiance, she
breaks the news to him only to realize he is impotent (the reason he always hesitates to
commit because he knows Eve loves babies)

Jim, her fiance, is a nice guy though not as romantic as her ex so she finds the ex a better companion, despite his evil ways. As the script progresses, we see her as she struggles to choose but her irrational behavior leads her to making bad decisions over and over again

Back