• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch An Hour Past Her Time Trailer

Great to hear from you again!
Cool to see you are close to finishing your short :)

I have some suggestions that might up your game a bit:
Once you finished the edit, I suggest to cut a shorter trailer with some dialogue/soundbites and less explaining titles.
Don't use Arial (or something looking like Arial) as a font for titles: it makes the short look more amateur than you want. (Graphic Design is an expertise: maybe you can ask someone to design the titles? I sometimes do that and they always amaze me with great designs or at least great looking fonts.)
I would also suggest not using the bright red color for the titles. It reminds me of old school webpages from the dawn of the century AND it influences how people percieve the colors of the short. You have toned down colors. Using bright red makes the footage look more desaturated: it is just psychological, but it is our brain that processes colors. :P

Great to hear from you again!
Cool to see you are close to finishing your short :)

I have some suggestions that might up your game a bit:
Once you finished the edit, I suggest to cut a shorter trailer with some dialogue/soundbites and less explaining titles.
Don't use Arial (or something looking like Arial) as a font for titles: it makes the short look more amateur than you want. (Graphic Design is an expertise: maybe you can ask someone to design the titles? I sometimes do that and they always amaze me with great designs or at least great looking fonts.)
I would also suggest not using the bright red color for the titles. It reminds me of old school webpages from the dawn of the century AND it influences how people percieve the colors of the short. You have toned down colors. Using bright red makes the footage look more desaturated: it is just psychological, but it is our brain that processes colors. :P
Cool. I am following up with another trailer with dialog. I will definitely take heed to the advice. Does the short look interesting?

Does the short look interesting?

It did not grab my attention. More than half of the footage takes place in a seated conversation in the same place. Is that representative of the full production? If so, and a short that takes place mostly in one location isn't necessrily a bad thing, you need to be much more conservative in your shot slection for a teaser. Teasers and trailers for drama/suspense should (obviously) create drama and suspense, grabbing the viewer by the lapel and pulling them into a place that they want to figure out what the hell happens in the end. There's no movement here to do that, and without dialog it's really hard to feel any kind of intrigue.

Your title cards move by too fast. I'm with Walter on the font selection, but I'd add that the font should be smaller and the cards, specifically where there are more words, should linger for a moment. The viewer should be able to read the entire statement twice through at a brisk pace. Also seconding Walter, less is more with the number of cards. "New city" and "old attitude" could be combined to a single card with a staggered line reveal. I'd change it to "New city. / Same, old attitude."

Last, the iMovie template at the end is a dead giveaway of an amateur production. Even if you're using iMovie to edit, don't use their templates. Create your own or have someone draft it for you, but seeing the app name at the head of the card feels too much like a home movie than any kind of serious production. This may seem a small detail, but it matters.

Same with the obvious template for your production card at the start. Yeah, it's very Saul Bass, but it also sticks out like a sore thumb as a lack of original production design. Brand yourself, because that's how you develop your production identity. Again, create your own production card or hire someone to make a professionally-designed and animated card, but avoid templates especially because they've been used countless times by other people.

Last edited:
Awesome you have a new film sir!

Didn't read the above but the trailer needs work. And mouthing to music never works. Let's hear what they are saying. :)

Cool, guys. We're going to make another one with dialog. Our very first time making a trailer. We used the imovie template so there's that.

Try to use a camera position no more than twice in a trailer.
Use soundbites from the dialogue that setup a conflict or will make people curious.
Make it as short as possible for more impact.

Back