Super nOOB here. Question about makeup

Hey all, simple question. When shooting, is it common for all actors to wear some kind of basic makeup, like a foundation to reduce light from reflecting off of shiny skin or this something only done on a bigger budget films? Thanks!

Yup.

Many actors who are really trying to make it bring their own kit and take care of themselves (unless it's SFX makeup). Every woman in your production can probably do their own too. I keep about 6 shades of "translucent powder" in my bag for the guys that don't it's light enough to blend with skin and easy enough to apply, and it keeps people from being shiny.

Of course, a real MUA is the way to go.

The big thing I've heard (and it might have been someone here who said it, though I'm not sure anymore) is that you have to be careful if you're using drugstore makeup that you're not getting foundation or powder with sunscreen in it (which a lot of it has). The sunscreen is basically reflective material in the makeup that can produce glares and weird highlights when filming.

It's a good idea to at least use powder to prevent glare. You might also want to keep oil-absorbing sheets on set with you, for when you don't want to keep adding more powder to get rid of shine.

Two serious problems with using conventional makeup on-set. The first is that day-wear makeup (the kind most women wear on a daily basis) contains sunblock. Sunblock contains zinc-oxide which produces a glow or glare, flattering for daywear, far too visible for film. Make-up formulated for film does not contain sunblock. the second problem is day wear makeup is not milled fine enough for high def work. Close-ups will show the make-up sitting on top of the face. HD has caused MUAs to have to replace most of their foundations and powders with Hi-Def products, much more finely milled and which present well in close-ups. My wife (MUA for film) uses Ben Nye MediaPro HD for anything above SD. If you're shooting HD and not using products specifically for film work, I suggest a make-up trail and test shots before committing to using cosmetic counter products for your project. And Cameron's right on with the oil-absorbing sheets, my wife goes thru a ton, and she also uses an anti-sweat product which I sometimes borrow when having to attach lavs with tape directly to an actor's skin when it's hot and he/she is sweaty.

Last edited:
Two serious problems with using conventional makeup on-set. The first is that day-wear makeup (the kind most women wear on a daily basis) contains sunblock. Sunblock contains zinc-oxide which produces a glow or glare, flattering for daywear, far too visible for film. Make-up formulated for film does not contain sunblock. the second problem is day wear makeup is not milled fine enough for high def work. Close-ups will show the make-up sitting on top of the face. HD has caused MUAs to have to replace most of their foundations and powders with Hi-Def products, much more finely milled and which present well in close-ups. My wife (MUA for film) uses Ben Nye MediaPro HD for anything above SD. If you're shooting HD and not using products specifically for film work, I suggest a make-up trail and test shots before committing to using cosmetic counter products for your project. And Cameron's right on with the oil-absorbing sheets, my wife goes thru a ton, and she also uses an anti-sweat product which I sometimes borrow when having to attach lavs with tape directly to an actor's skin when it's hot and he/she is sweaty.

The only part I would argue with is that not all day-wear makeup contains sunblock. There are some that don't (Revlon's Colorstay line, for the most part, does not contain sunblock), but it's something you have to check for. I think liquid foundation tends to be less visible than powder, but one of the biggest things is making sure you have the correct color! So many women tend to wear foundation that's darker than their natural skin tone and that will be super-visible on film. If your talent is bringing their own makeup, make sure that they're using the correct colors for their actual skin tone (not the tone they want their skin to be).

Yes, make up is necessary. Someone pointed this out above but i want to reiterate that HD is extremely unforgiving. At the very least a basic foundation is necessary. But it's a lesson learnt quickly as soon as one sees the their first HD closeup footage.

Yep. a MUA is a critical crew member on my sets. I always have one, always.

"pro" makeup is better for sure, but some consumer stuff applied by a woman who knows how to use it, and a little powder on the guys is better than nothing.

Go to the local college or high school and see if anyone can help..give them screen credits and maby even a cameo or extra spot...you might get lucky and have someone interested in joining your crew.

Yes, make up is necessary. Someone pointed this out above but i want to reiterate that HD is extremely unforgiving. At the very least a basic foundation is necessary. But it's a lesson learnt quickly as soon as one sees the their first HD closeup footage.

To prevent glare or reduce imperfections?

If sweat is unavoidable (shooting inside a car on a hot day) what's the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

Air conditioning? If it's so hot they can't stay dry through an entire take then you either gotta cool it down or let them sweat. It's okay to be shiny/greasy on screen, just when the situation calls for it... Like walking through the Sahara, playing basketball, a hot car, etc..

Is it not supposed to look like a car on a hot day?

If you find someone willing to work free, at least pay their materials. If they know make up but not production, be sure to impress upon them the importance of monitoring make up throughout the entire shoot. A trial session is a great idea. Take stills and use them for reference when the shoot day comes. A trial session will also give you clue if the person is reliable.

I've also noticed that there are a few makeup artists (and actors) on Model Mayhem. I've wondered about how an indie filmmaker might try connecting with one through that site, if they wanted an actual MUA on their crew. I'm sure, based upon the above discussion, you'd want to make sure such a makeup artist, who has perhaps only worked on photo shoots, is also aware of the issues with HD video. Anyway, it might be a place to look. One of them (hopefully more) might also be interested in film work. You can do a search for makeup artists in your area. Okay, I just tried that very thing. A search for LaCrosse came up zilch. But a search for all of WI came up with 105. Could that work? Have any of you filmmakers worked with someone they found on MM and had positive or negative experiences you can share?

Last edited:
I've also noticed that there are a few makeup artists (and actors) on Model Mayhem. I've wondered about how an indie filmmaker might try connecting with one through that site, if they wanted an actual MUA on their crew. I'm sure, based upon the above discussion, you'd want to make sure such a makeup artist, who has perhaps only worked on photo shoots, is also aware of the issues with HD video. Anyway, it might be a place to look. One of them (hopefully more) might also be interested in film work. You can do a search for makeup artists in your area. Okay, I just tried that very thing. A search for LaCrosse came up zilch. But a search for all of WI came up with 105. Could that work? Have any of you filmmakers worked with someone they found on MM and had positive or negative experiences you can share?

I got a girl from there once and she was great. Attitude, beauty, talent, the whole enchilada. We're good friends to this day. She worked cheap too.

I didn't meet my current MUA there, but she is on there.

I recruited multiple actresses for an upcoming commercial shoot on MM. I posted a casting notice, but I also searched for girls close to me on MM who had the "look" I wanted and encouraged them to audition. Several of them are going to.

Air conditioning? If it's so hot they can't stay dry through an entire take then you either gotta cool it down or let them sweat. It's okay to be shiny/greasy on screen, just when the situation calls for it... Like walking through the Sahara, playing basketball, a hot car, etc..

Is it not supposed to look like a car on a hot day?

That's the thing ... We'll be shooting throughout the Australian summer so sweat is going to be unavoidable.

In almost all circumstances sweating will also be justified within the story.

With this in mind, would my best option be to avoid makeup and use oil-absorbing sheets in between takes when things get a little too greasy?

Thanks.

Look for any community theatres in town, a lot will have their designated makeup people and makeup and I've found are willing to help out for something as simple as credit in the final credits. They would also be able to assist as far as finding right makeup for your lighting set up

Back