Coming to Terms (or scaling down film making expectations)

Hello from the nether regions-back again for a while.

Just wanted to make a personal observation about myself I've discovered recently. I've come to terms with the fact that (at least for forseeable future) my film making is going to be for personal art and expression. I think I've known this awhile, just coming around to admitting it to myself. Realizing that with so much going on in my life, that any expectations of financial gain (for me) through film isn't going to be feasable, and just sticking to the joy of creating and learning with my limited budget and time is becoming reward in itself. I don't know if it's because I've become discouraged in some way, or maybe just being realistic-but I think right now it's about making film, maybe trying for the odd short film fest, ect-and I'm okay with that.

Just wondering, looking for feedback-anyone else here go through this experience? That you're finding your film making endeavors have made you scale back your expecations than when you first started out? Just wondering how you dealt with it? (And note, "Scaling" can mean different things: For some it might be scaling from Mega buck run films to quieter independent, maybe it means scaling from trying feature length to high quality film shorts, ect)

Getting joy from creating and learning on a limited budget is most definitely a reward in itself. Embrace that! Do what you can with what you have available to you. If you can stay true to your vision and creative goals throughout the process, all the better. :)

Filmmaking isn't a race so at the end of the day if you're satisfied and pleased with your efforts, that's really all that matters.

I have no intention of ever making money from my videos/films, simply because the ideas that I have for them span such a wide range of topics/themes that I doubt I could hold a consistent audience. Maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong about that, but I doubt it. If people start watching and I'm able to monetize in the future, that will be a complete byproduct of what I wanted to make.

I think this is the best way to go about creating things (whether it's films, writings, games, drawings, etc) -- make something that speaks to you. If it also happens to speak to someone else then your gains are threefold: 1) you didn't have to cater to/distill your ideas down to the lowest common denominator, 2) you developed a much deeper connection with the audience you do have than you would have otherwise, and 3) it may even make you a bit of money (maybe not much, but something).

P.S. A *seriously* wonderful group of filmmakers that I'm aware of don't (as far as I can tell) monetize their short films -- http://www.whitestonemotionpictures.com/films/ Those are the kinds of people I look to for inspiration.

Art, for art's sake, is beautiful!

Me? I want to be filthy-stinking-rich. And that is what I'm working towards. However, I have envisioned a (probably more realistic) scenario, in which I continue to have a "day-job", while working on film purely for art & fun, and I don't think that's such a bad thing. :)

I have 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week.
Sometimes... I actually get to cobble a few hours together across that 168hr period.
Sometimes... a blind pig finds an acorn and I can buy a little toy here & there.

Now, some people chose to spend their scant hours and acorns plopped in front of the boob tube watching cars go 'round and 'round ovals.
Cool. Fine. Great.
Some buy fishing poles and rubber worms with spinny-spoons and such then piss away hours and hours of their life.
And that's cool, too.
Some people buy guns, trapse through the chilly woods squirting doe piss on trees then shoot some poor guy named "Buck" trying to get laid.

Me?

I just wanna goof off, see what I can do, maybe bring a slight curl to the corner of someone's mouth.
There's probably not much profit in what I like to do, but I enjoy it like all the other hobbyists out there.

But I try to take it seriously enough that if I stumble across an alien & bigfoot humping some poor hunter in the forest I can compose a nice shot in focus with minimal shakey-cam.

;)

I have 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week.
Sometimes... I actually get to cobble a few hours together across that 168hr period.
Sometimes... a blind pig finds an acorn and I can buy a little toy here & there.

Now, some people chose to spend their scant hours and acorns plopped in front of the boob tube watching cars go 'round and 'round ovals.
Cool. Fine. Great.
Some buy fishing poles and rubber worms with spinny-spoons and such then piss away hours and hours of their life.
And that's cool, too.
Some people buy guns, trapse through the chilly woods squirting doe piss on trees then shoot some poor guy named "Buck" trying to get laid.

Me?

I just wanna goof off, see what I can do, maybe bring a slight curl to the corner of someone's mouth.
There's probably not much profit in what I like to do, but I enjoy it like all the other hobbyists out there.

But I try to take it seriously enough that if I stumble across an alien & bigfoot humping some poor hunter in the forest I can compose a nice shot in focus with minimal shakey-cam.

;)

Thanks for the mental imagery! When the time comes when I see that footage as "breaking news" I can boast to my friends "I Know the one that shot that footage!" :D

Seeing all these thoughts is interesting to see, it gives me some perspective on how others are doing with this situation and where you are all are going with it. There was a period in my life, back when I had my first training, I had visions of either film or even television production, and having a successful career that way. As my life took some.....interesting paths though, and I started talking to friends who were in the similar courses and just now are making a dent in the TV industry-well, I felt maybe it wasn't for me after all.

And Ray-I too am in a similar situation to you as far as having plenty of time (yet somehow their still aren't enough hours in the day) :)

Grass always looks greener on the other side.

I don't have a job and I'm perpetually broke. And, ever since I shifted gears into trying to direct only, it's gotten worse. Half the time I don't know what I'm gonna eat, the other half I have no idea how I'm going to pay rent. If you're determined, then you put larger dents in the well, as you put it, much faster than not. However...

... being forced to make some sort of income happen kills a lot of the creative freedom and creative spark for me. A lot of the time I just put my own stuff aside in order to try to sniff out little jobs to keep going.

If you have the ability to sustain and do it on the side, it's not a bad thing. You may not move forward as fast as someone without the nine-to-five commitment, family, so-on-and-so forth but you can spend the time cultivating your voice without the stress of worries on your shoulders.

Take your own path.

Surrounding yourself with like-minded, ego-less people is critical for the pursuit of film making. Life has its own energy, and it can pull us this way and that. Sometimes we get stuck or disappointed. Having someone of your side who wants to achieve the same things is important. Film making is a team sport. No one makes a film without the help of someone else.

Making a feature film is the hardest thing we've ever done. The learning never stops. And it could never have happened without our core team (4 people) and the help of others as well.

Some people are born with an inner desire that drives them against all odds. Most of us are not like that, so we need to find ways to hold on to our desires and our dreams and to lift us up when things get dark.

I sure don't have an answer for you. But what I can tell you is in this creative field, disappointment is part of the deal. Once you understand this, it's not so difficult anymore.

Paco
www.rusinstudios.com

Be happy with what you have and make the most of it.

A song that sums up the situation for a lot of us is by The Carpenters called "Song."

Make your own art that makes you happy. It doesn't have to be good enough for anyone else but you.

Surrounding yourself with like-minded, ego-less people is critical for the pursuit of film making. Life has its own energy, and it can pull us this way and that. Sometimes we get stuck or disappointed. Having someone of your side who wants to achieve the same things is important. Film making is a team sport. No one makes a film without the help of someone else.

Making a feature film is the hardest thing we've ever done. The learning never stops. And it could never have happened without our core team (4 people) and the help of others as well.

Some people are born with an inner desire that drives them against all odds. Most of us are not like that, so we need to find ways to hold on to our desires and our dreams and to lift us up when things get dark.

I sure don't have an answer for you. But what I can tell you is in this creative field, disappointment is part of the deal. Once you understand this, it's not so difficult anymore.

Paco
www.rusinstudios.com

Actually what you said here was answer enough :) I have learned about the disappointment part, and have come to terms with the fact that it's simply all part of the process. I think it's wonderful that you made a feature film-I currently don't have the finances or the resources people wise to do that-but that's okay for me-I like making my little odd/weird/obscure film shorts. I agree it is important to have that core around you to make it work and be successful-good to hear you got a feature out there :)

Be happy with what you have and make the most of it.

A song that sums up the situation for a lot of us is by The Carpenters called "Song."

Make your own art that makes you happy. It doesn't have to be good enough for anyone else but you.

Agreed. And I am happy with what I do for filmmaking, and I am learning from other people, whatever their scope of project, it all comes back to this point you make. We may put ourselves through some pretty heavy stuff, but we do it because we love it and it makes us happy.

It's an awesome thing to do :)

I have felt the same way that you do. I know that, as a kid in high school, the films I'm making right now are just for the joy of knowing that I accomplished something that I wanted to accomplish, not what my parents wanted me too. But eventually, I think I'll get around to Lone Starr's state of mind. "We're not doing this for money!....we're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!" Even if that doesn't happen, I will enjoy the art of filmmaking because it is my expression, my work of art for the world (at least the part of the world that has heard of me) to see.

i personally want to make living off of filmmaking. And just like CF, want to get filthy rich as well! Im not happy where my filmmaking skills are, and want to make em better. I know i ll get to my goal, just gotta keep practicing!

My original goal was the filthy rich filmmaker, but I have to admit the added pressure of building a career around filmmaking was too much for me personally. I was constantly second guessing myself in my writing and cinematography and terrified of making the wrong move. ie. if the movie fails I lose my house sort of thing. Now that it has been pushed to the hobby category and I have a solid job that I really like in a very different industry, filmmaking is a release and I can shoot and explore with available time and a much healthier mindset. As a result I've shot more and had more success once I made the mental shift. I've also been able to bring my filmmaking experience to my job which gives me extra opportunities to learn and improve and explore new challenges by creating films for my company. Personally I'm much healthier and happier with the balance.

I think everyone's constantly having to scale back their expectations as they learn more about the industry. That's the nature of the beast.

But if you're going to do it then you might as well do it well. Realising that something is difficult is no excuse for doing it sloppily. I'm not making films for myself, I'm making them for an audience that I've never met: so I've got to do a good job.

But being realistic about everything is crucial (as it is with whatever career you might pursue) which is why I'm happy to take it slowly and have a 10 year plan rather than a 6 month plan.

EDIT: And, yes, I too wish to be very rich. And have Victoria's Secret after parties as my pad.

I think everyone's constantly having to scale back their expectations as they learn more about the industry. That's the nature of the beast.

But if you're going to do it then you might as well do it well. Realising that something is difficult is no excuse for doing it sloppily. I'm not making films for myself, I'm making them for an audience that I've never met: so I've got to do a good job.

But being realistic about everything is crucial (as it is with whatever career you might pursue) which is why I'm happy to take it slowly and have a 10 year plan rather than a 6 month plan.

EDIT: And, yes, I too wish to be very rich. And have Victoria's Secret after parties as my pad.

Ambition is a wonderful thing! ;)

I agree with everything you said. And having a 10 year plan is very realistic, and gives you lots of time to set things up. A good plan of action is key :)

My original goal was the filthy rich filmmaker, but I have to admit the added pressure of building a career around filmmaking was too much for me personally. I was constantly second guessing myself in my writing and cinematography and terrified of making the wrong move. ie. if the movie fails I lose my house sort of thing. Now that it has been pushed to the hobby category and I have a solid job that I really like in a very different industry, filmmaking is a release and I can shoot and explore with available time and a much healthier mindset. As a result I've shot more and had more success once I made the mental shift. I've also been able to bring my filmmaking experience to my job which gives me extra opportunities to learn and improve and explore new challenges by creating films for my company. Personally I'm much healthier and happier with the balance.

And that balance is so important, I agree. You've got to be sure you've got that roof over your head and food on your plate-it makes things so much easier. I think it's great that you were able to see and make the appropriate switch, it makes the whole process that much more enjoyable :)

Back