Drones can be used for filming.

Yes it can be used.. by 6 companies and 6 companies only.

original.jpg

Looks like the same rules as in the Netherlands, except here you need to apply for permits for every job.
4 Companies only need 1 permit for a project and can get it in 5 workings days.
The other (1 or 2) dozen companies need 4 to 6 weeks to get all the paperwork through the mill...

A couple of months ago there was a drone flying down Sunset Blvd past the Roxy, 1 Oak, etc at night. I wonder if it was for someone's film. It was moving very very slowly up the street.

That's interesting, because I'm also an aviation buff. :)

Can anyone explain to me when or why people started referring to ALL such craft as "drones" rather than what we've called them for years... RC's? It's just a pet peeve of mine, these sudden shifts in the popular lexicon and how such a shift potentially affects ones perception of it. The term "drones" seemed to increase in popularity with the rise of clandestine unmanned military vehicles. Now we see headlines where if anything flies in the air it must be a "drone" which immediately seems to provoke a negative connotation, of course now politicians play off that mania and start making laws to prevent the proliferation of non militarized radio controlled vehicles. Don't ger me wrong, I think people should be very aware of the military/police use and abuse of drones, but I'm not certain it does society any good to give people the impression they're all the same. I guess I always thought of drones as being something more akin to insect drones, having some autonomy but strongly influenced by the external forces of the hive.

ok enough rambling ;)

This is interesting subject. I think it is good to use such "drones" for filming, if this is not a joke. Progress, why not? And I don't think it it will take away the jobs from the crew, because I believe such drones still must be operated by people. Someone must setup the machines, fix their bugs, problems and etc.

Back