movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Godfather Part II directed by Francis Ford Coppola - 10/10
Another masterful gangster film! However, I will say that I was actually slightly disappointed. I had read that this one was superior to the original, but I like the original much much more. The original is in my top 20 while this is only in my top 50 right now. I like this film's character development, but all of that is based on the solid foundation that the first film gave us. Furthermore, the first film had much more memorable scenes. Still, this film is amazing especially when seen as an extension of the first film. It has impeccable direction, acting, and cinematography just like the first film. The only real flaw I can think of is some of the flashback scenes, they are done well but I'm not sure if they always fit into the film's sequences. Otherwise, it's a perfect film, I just prefer the first one. Maybe once I re-watch the films I'll love this one more.

Any thoughts on the film? I'm interested in it, I want to know how it stacks up compared to other Biblical films and Aronofsky's other work. :)

I loved the film honestly. It's more of a story of clashing moralities and acceptance of human imperfection rather than some catastrophic ubiquitous cataclysm that's meant to benefit mankind (hence, controversy from the devout). There's some really nice attention to detail, and a variety of different techniques that make for some truly surreal sequences, such as stop motion and time-lapse. There's plenty of subplots and characters to make up for the originally simplistic story, and the introduction and changes to these characters and situations make (which sometimes contradict elements of the Bible) make the story surprisingly intense and unpredictable. The visuals are wonderful, going for luscious and vibrant instead of gritty and desaturated. The sound work is pretty good, and Crowe does a good job as an imperfect, damaged and, deteriorating Noah, and the supporting cast does fantastic. It's not a film for Christians to watch and teach their kids/teens or learn themselves about the story, but instead for entertainment and some thought provoking messages not included in the original story. Not really a Biblical film, although one of my favorite films from Aronofsky. Monumental, overwhelming action is met with the quirky and dark style that's present in all of his work (works SOOOOOOO much better than The Fountain).

Oculus - 8/10

I remember watching the short film around 2008 or 2009, and it's funny seeing it in theaters. I went and saw it today and remembered that short film. Huh.

Anyway, great film. Starts off as a straightforward ghost flick, but as we dive into the subconscious into the characters, it gets increasingly surreal and bizarre. There's a looming sense of dread that had me unnerved throughout, and unlike many films, the psychological mind-benders that appear throughout were actually genuinely confusing and attention grabbing. The movement from past to present, the decent scares, the black humor, the beautiful cinematography, and the kick ass ending made this film worth it. Go watch it.

I loved the film honestly. It's more of a story of clashing moralities and acceptance of human imperfection rather than some catastrophic ubiquitous cataclysm that's meant to benefit mankind (hence, controversy from the devout). There's some really nice attention to detail, and a variety of different techniques that make for some truly surreal sequences, such as stop motion and time-lapse. There's plenty of subplots and characters to make up for the originally simplistic story, and the introduction and changes to these characters and situations make (which sometimes contradict elements of the Bible) make the story surprisingly intense and unpredictable. The visuals are wonderful, going for luscious and vibrant instead of gritty and desaturated. The sound work is pretty good, and Crowe does a good job as an imperfect, damaged and, deteriorating Noah, and the supporting cast does fantastic. It's not a film for Christians to watch and teach their kids/teens or learn themselves about the story, but instead for entertainment and some thought provoking messages not included in the original story. Not really a Biblical film, although one of my favorite films from Aronofsky. Monumental, overwhelming action is met with the quirky and dark style that's present in all of his work (works SOOOOOOO much better than The Fountain).

Thanks for the great short write-up!

It seems interesting! I'm glad that it fleshed out the biblical story because the Bible itself just doesn't give too many details or extra layers to its stories. I imagine I'll find a lot to like (and dislike) about Aronofsky's semi-experimental sequences (I'm glad that they're present, they are his mark as an auteur). I'm really glad that the visuals are not gritty, I hate the use of gritty visuals in many contemporary films! I suspected the film wouldn't be for Christians to teach from, but I'm glad it isn't. IMO movies about the Bible or religion in general should have different thought provoking messages that are relevant to the time in which the film is made, if one wants to learn about the Bible one should just read it! Hopefully this film will get me more warmed up to Aronofsky!

Accidentally directed by John Woo - 3/10
A short experimental film directed by an action master during his college days. Aside from the fact that it is completely different from Woo's later work, there's not anything interesting in this film. It features a character in love with this woman but he's so obsessed that he ends up tying her up and being violent with her. It would be cool to see Woo's talent shine in different genres, but I guess this film showed me that he should stick to action.

Master With Cracked Fingers directed by Mu Zhu; starring Jackie Chan - 4/10
A fairly entertaining early Jackie Chan film, but it is a very mediocre film. This is like a prototype for Jackie's later better efforts in combining martial arts and comedy. The version I saw was dubbed and it was hilariously bad. As much as I love Jackie, this is not nearly on the level of his best work. I can only recommend this film to Jackie fans that want to see some of his earliest work.

The Thing john carpenter 3/5 but I do get frustrated watching a film full of stupid people. It's like I'm a damn genius or something compared to all these movie characters. So lets see.. we've got this alien that was burned alive.. but it's cells are still living. A blatant difference between humans and the alien. Yet it takes an HOUR for someone to devise a test about who is an alien or not. Give me a break.

Oh man i love that movie, sorry you dint enjoy it. I honestly think it's one of the best horror movie and remake of all time. I love how it created a terrifying atmosphere of claustrophobia, suspense and paranoia.

Last edited:
Oh man i love that movie, sorry you dint enjoy it. It was was sooo ahead of it's time.

I still gave it a 3/5 so I enjoyed it, just saying parts were frustrating. There was an obvious resilience to the life form and no one picked up on it or devised any tests.

Parts were good though. The dog was amazing. A really great actor.
And that scene where they finally did do a test was awesome. It was probably supposed to be scary but I laughed my ass off (in a good way) when the blood finally responded.

Jesus Camp directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing - 7/10
A fine documentary with interesting subject matter. This is one of those truly horrifying films because it depicts children being brainwashed by religious fundamentalists. As a Christian, the film was challenging because I have seen similar situations go on in my community (though not nearly as extreme). Although the film takes a very American approach (connecting evangelicalism with American politics), evangelicals have been growing in the Dominican Republic as well (where I live) and they are almost as extreme in their beliefs. I'll just share something that I think parallels a bit with the film in my experience. I think it was a year ago or so that President Obama appointed a new ambassador for the Dominican Republic and he just happened to be homosexual. That was a huge problem with evangelicals that absolutely hate homosexuals, they'd demonize Obama for that choice and pray against this man becoming an ambassador. Unfortunately even the leaders of the Catholic Church reacted so strongly as well. Here in the DR there is already cultural animosity against homosexuals (due to a kind of machismo), and when you add religious intolerance as well then it's one of the worst countries to live in as a homosexual. In fact, a new documentary is being made about a "Christian" school in the small town that I live in, that is supposed to help (in reality, put to forced labor!) kids that are struggling with alcohol, drugs, delinquency, etc. but it has been recently discovered that they are also taking homosexuals for other countries. Okay I've kind of went off-track but I find it very important to see what's going on with evangelicals and religious extremists all over the world. I love how this film gives us a look at this problem without being overly bias. When I saw it, I thanked God my parents never forced any religion on me lol, when I have kids I'll do the same. I'll teach them about different philosophies and religions and they choose for themselves! Overall, this film has an interesting subject matter with a nice fairly unbias approach but it doesn't stand out as one of the greatest documentaries I've seen.

"Citizen Kane" - Orson Welles

Watched a 35mm print, invaluable experience!
The film is packed with extra-ordinary storytelling techniques and adventurous cinematography.
Some expositionary remarks by other characters made the film perhaps a bit less mysterious or maybe it is
the time factor as manners have changed dramatically since.

I wonder if Scorsese tried to make the Wolf similar to Kane?

"Citizen Kane" - Orson Welles

Watched a 35mm print, invaluable experience!
The film is packed with extra-ordinary storytelling techniques and adventurous cinematography.
Some expositionary remarks by other characters made the film perhaps a bit less mysterious or maybe it is
the time factor as manners have changed dramatically since.

I wonder if Scorsese tried to make the Wolf similar to Kane?

Oh you're so lucky! I've been wanting to re-watch that film for a while now, but I think I may wait to watch it on 35mm.

Men And Dust directed by Lee Dick - 7/10
This is a very well made documentary from the 40's. Stylistically, this film might even be a masterpiece in the documentary genre but I just felt that the narration really detracted from the film and I didn't get too engaged in the story it was telling. The film interested me very much as a historical piece and as a taste of exemplary visual work in documentary, but I found myself a bit disconnected by the actual content.

Son Of Frankenstein directed by Rowland V. Lee - 6/10
I finally finished watching the classic Frankenstein trilogy! This film was pretty disappointing, as James Whale's films were absolute masterpieces in my opinion. Those films were always interesting and concise, they came in and got the job done in 60 minutes then came out. They remind me of amazing 60's rock albums. This film on the other hand, goes in, lasts for about an hour and 40 minutes but never really does anything amazing. The performances were fine, but Rowland V. Lee is no James Whale. Gone is the amazing pacing, gone are the humorous elements, gone are the memorable scenes, gone is the symbolism, gone is the amazing visual fluidity, gone is the visual experimentation only to be replaced by conventional Hollywood filmmaking. I will say that Bela Lugosi's performance as Ygor makes this film pretty enjoyable, but even Boris Karloff's Monster is a lot less interesting in this film. The set design is awesome as usual though. I also appreciate the fact that the film attempts to tell a new story rather than rehash the first two films, but even the new story doesn't seem fresh enough. Overall, this is a fairly entertaining film but it's not on the level of James Whale's two masterpieces. A 7/10 score may even be justified, but I have a lot of fondness for the first two films that this one just disappointed me too much!

Last edited:
The Steamroller And The Violin directed by Andrei Tarkovsky - 9/10
This is a wonderful student film by Andrei Tarkovsky. The only children's live-action film I've seen to reach this level of artistry that I know if is The Red Balloon. This is just a nice simple tale of friendship done extremely well. The cinematography is awesome, the use of color is vibrant, the music is good, and just the whole world that the film develops in just 45 minutes is done so well. The 45 minutes of this film fly by, it feels more like a 20 minute TV episode, except much more artistically satisfying. Andrei Tarkovsky adds depth to the film by including visual abstractions/experimentation (which only serves to enhance the storytelling) and a hint of his later philosophical ideas. This film is just too adorable, it's one of my favorite short films that I've seen so far.

Ô saisons, ô châteaux directed by Agnès Varda - 8/10
Every time I watch an Agnès Varda film I always am reminded that she is one of my favorite directors, yet I often overlook her work. This film is an awesome 'travel' documentary about the Châteaux of the Loire Valley. What I love about Varda's approach to these films is that they mix her beautiful distinctive photography-like cinematography with great voiceover that shares the history of the location and poetry as well. While I love this style, and I believe that it is the greatest style of documentary for 'travel' type films, her other film Du cote de la cote does a better job as it manages to stay energetic and informative. This film has not only Varda's distinctive elements as a travel documentarian, but also some visual motifs such as the use of cats. I like this film a lot, but I feel like Varda has done a better job in other similar works.

Five Men In A Circus directed by Mikio Naruse - 8/10
Okay, I have got to start watching more of these Mikio Naruse films. He's such a prolific master with over 60 films available and quite a few more that are unfortunately lost. This film is, I believe his earliest surviving sound film. This film is very great but it's quite uneven. What I love about it is that it essentially has four great stories in it: a circus drama, a romantic drama, a sad melodrama, and a family melodrama (there is also a romantic comedy story but I wouldn't consider it to be great). Unfortunately, the film is so short (at 65 minutes) that none of these stories are fully developed. Either way though, each of these stories have some amazing scenes. Mikio Naruse is so talented at subtle directing, he just tells the story but you barely notice that there are incredible compositions, his pessimistic philosophy, and strong female characters. In fact, although the film's title suggests that the main characters are men, I believe that it is the two sisters in the film that are the strongest characters. Although the film is not a masterpiece due to some lack of character development and the fact that the film doesn't fully develop each story, it just shows a master working in his early days. The ending is pretty disappointing because although it is decent, it follows what I consider to be a scene of cinematic perfection (a psychological and emotional scene portraying one of the characters attempting to suicide, this scene uses subjective camerawork and visual abstractions through the use of layered images to enhance the scene). I hope I can try to watch at least 3 Mikio Naruse films a week from now on, since he is simply a genius!

The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh directed by John Lounsbery & Wolfgang Reitherman - 10/10
Ever since I was a child I always loved Winnie the Pooh, I always read the book, saw the TV show, and saw The Tigger Movie. I had pluff toys of the characters and even today most of my notebooks are of Winnie the Pooh lol. Somehow, I never saw this film and boy was I missing out! I love the film's short story format (in fact, I've seen few films pull this off well), the animation is awesome and it really feels like the illustrations of the books just came to life and were added color. I love the simple stories in the film, they just capture what it feels like to be a child so well. The ending has got to be one of the greatest children's films endings because it deals with growing up in such a poignant way, and it just describes seemingly indescribable things so well! The film never feels like a manipulative film that takes you from Point A to Point B, I just genuinely got to meet these characters all over again, hang out with them, then say goodbye. That's the brilliance of this film, it feels like I'm just making friends for a large amount of time and then takes me away to life's other journeys. It's even more brilliant how this film does all this in just over an hour. I look forward to re-visiting Pooh's world once again someday.

Rapture-Palooza. This has to be a little near and dear to me because it's fairly similar to a story idea I've been kicking and carrying around for about two decades, oy. I don't know if I ever thought to treat it with comedy. Good call. B+. I think I'd give it an A if it had an adequate budget and therefore better pollish. But overall, quite fun. Definitely recommended to those of you with an open mind and, like me, the heart of an apostate. ;)

Last Days on Mars. I thought this was pretty decent. Excellent cast. B.

Pandora's Promise. I was anti-nuclear. And I'm still anti-nuclear. I think. But this has caused me to second guess that. A bit. B-.

The Inkeepers. I don't actually like to be too creeped out, so this is about my speed. Some dumbness issues, like the typical horror film. A slow burner. But I like slow burners. Somewhat entertaining for me. C+

How I live Now. Quite nice. B+. Could have used a larger budget.

Mud. Really good. B+, if not an A.

The Croods. Pretty entertaining. B+

Monarchy. Can't recall if I already reviewed this. Liked it muchly. A, pretty much. Only it's a pisser that Netflix doesn't have the entire series. :(

Agora. Quite nice. B+

Last edited:
Bad Guy directed by Kim Ki-duk - 5/10
Uh, this is just so much talent wasted. Kim Ki-duk does a great job at directing this film, and he adds depth to it by making several images and music counterpoint one another. However, he is making a film that just lacks any logical coherence, and no true character development. The premise is fine, and I can even get on board with the ending if there was an emotional and logical progression towards that ending. But no, Kim Ki-duk seems to take an absurd approach to character development. This is fine in a surrealist film or an experimental film, but in a serious drama like this one it just does not work. I tried to contextualize what I saw by reading an interview with Kim Ki-duk about the film, but in the end I'll conclude that I am genuinely interested in the questions Kim Ki-duk tries to raise and his thematic concerns, however he did not do a good job at properly conveying his vision here. This is a well-made film with very flawed character development, thematic development, and storytelling. I do get pissed when I read that Kim Ki-duk dislikes his contemporaries Hong Sang-soo and Lee Chang-dong for being "overly intellectual" when their approach would be much more fitting to his interesting ideas. Maybe I'll like some of Kim's other films though!

Back