Uncredited in Hollywood Films

Was thinking about this the other day, watching "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", and Kathleen Turner is not credited for Jessica Rabbit's voice, I can't find a definitive answer why-some suggest simple oversight (with Turner? Doubtful) others suggest she did it more as a favor for Zemeckis and didn't want the credit.

Just wondering, what other major Hollywood talent (either actor/actresses, or behind the camera) have well known "uncredited" roles in the films they helped create?

I guarantee you the omission of KT's name from Roger Rabbit was not an accident. It would have been 100% her call. Her career was huge at that time and she probably felt that the "big secret" would help generate publicity for the film.

This happens a lot, in fact I just watched Inglourious Basterds the other night and recognized Harvey Keitel's voice on the telephone -- uncredited.

I don't have a list, but it happens all the time.

Of the top of my head:
Robin Williams - The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Bill Murray - Tootsie
Joseph Cotten - Touch of Evil

Unfortunately there are many different reasons and usually
not a definitive answer. Sometimes it is at the request of the
actor.

Samuel L Jackson is also uncredited in Inglorious Basterds. His is the voice that introduces Hugo Stiglitz and talks about the nitrate films.

Gary Oldman is uncredited on HANNIBAL (2001) and Kevin Spacey in SE7EN, and we can make lists and lists.

The main point is that it takes something special and unusual for an actor to not be credited. They have to get a waiver from SAG (Screen Actors Guild, their union), as it violates the contracts to not credit an actor for their performance on a public film if they are SAG and you make a SAG signatory film. To NOT credit them, you need a lot of paperwork.

Kevin Spacey in SE7EN

Actually, KS is credited in Se7en (one of my all-time fav movies). From IMDb:

The producers intended that Kevin Spacey should receive top billing at the start of the movie but he insisted that his name not appear in the opening credits, so as to surprise the audience with the identity of the killer. To compensate, he is listed twice in the closing credits: once before the credits start rolling, and once in the rolling credits in order of appearance. Another advantage from Spacey's point of view, as he saw it, was that he was excluded from the film's marketing during its release, meaning he didn't have to make any public appearances or do any interviews.

Back