In Honor of Robert Altmam...your cast stable:)

I realize there is a thread regarding your dream cast, but I thought as a homage to Robert Altman...who would you include in your ensemble cast (dead or alive)? ...actors you would employ in your own private studio stable, to be used in film after film?

Mine:
Steve McQueen
Jimmy Stewart
Rosalind Russell
Carole Lombard
Louise Brooks
Claude Raines
Humphrey Bogart
Marilyn Monroe
Jack Lemmon
Shirley MacLaine
Donald Sutherland
Don Rickles
Paul Newman
Richard Dreyfus
Harrison Ford
Patricia Routledge
Susan Tully
Elisha Dushku
Johnny Depp
Sean Penn
Jack Nicholson
Christopher Walken
Dakota Fanning

oh god, I could find a role for any of them. That's why I like Altman so much, I didn't necessarily love every one of his films but he had roles for actors and he just let the actors do their thing with some guidance. I think PTA is the same way and I think he gets equally great performances from the actors.

Men:
Bruce Campbell (with Ted Raimi included)
Johnny Depp
Kenneth Branagh
David Hasselhof (cameo in every movie, as a lifeguard, or prostitute)
Tom Hanks
Harrison Ford
Sean Connery
Ian McKellen
Leonard Nimoy
William Shatner
James Doohan
Deforest Kelly
Steve Buscemi
Morgan Freeman
Eugene Levy
Christopher Walken
Rodney Dangerfield
Chevy Chase
Elijah Wood
Orson Welles
Ben Browder (from Farscape)
Sam Neil
Jim Carrey
ARNOLD

Girls:
Julia Roberts (meow!)
Cate Blanchette
Kate Winslet
Gwyneth Paltrow
Vanessa Redgrave
Susan Sarandon
Rosario Dawson
Catherine O'hara
Claudia Black
Audrey Hepburn
Emma Thompson
Uma Thurman

And that's just the obvious ones. There's so many out there, known and unknown.. you can't stick to one ensemble, but with those names behind me, I could make ANYTHING.

Gary Oldman
Ewan Mcgregor
Keith Hamilton Cobb ....fits a particular 'type'
Billy Crudup
Uma Thurman...one of the few women I can watch and not be bored
Thora Birch...ditto
Jennifer Jason Leigh...underrated but great, "Mrs. Parker & the Vicious Circle"
The lead in a small film called "Morning Breath"
Johnny Depp...because of the chances he seems to take
John Travolta...for his versatility
Jeffrey Wright....because did you see "Basquiat"!?!

....that oughta holdja....

-- spinner :cool:

Now I have to rent that DVD...

I've stayed away from recent Carrey films, there's just so much manic ADHD-fueled silliness one person can take over the course of The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura, Liar Liar and Me, Myself and Irene.

Many people left Sunshine because it is so unlike a Jim Carrey film, and thats what they were expecting. Sunshine and The Majestic are two examples of Carrey's dramatic abilities. Although to be fair it takes a lot of talent to be Ace Ventura too.

Of course I'd want Charlie Kauffman on the payroll as a writer. In fact, I'd get Gilliam, Raimi (Sam), Speilburg and Kevin Smith to co-direct everything, and put Kubrick as the DOP/Editing director.

Hmmm.. somewhere in my "troupe", I think I'm going to be upstaged... well, I guess I could PA or something.. lol

Of course I'd want Charlie Kauffman on the payroll as a writer. In fact, I'd get Gilliam, Raimi (Sam), Speilburg and Kevin Smith to co-direct everything, and put Kubrick as the DOP/Editing director.

Hmmm.. somewhere in my "troupe", I think I'm going to be upstaged... well, I guess I could PA or something.. lol
You'd get an awful lot of static shots if you had Kubrick as DP... since he's not among the living anymore.

Men:

Ed Harris,
Paul Giametti,
Kurt Russell, (the most underated actor in Hollywood!)
Adam Baldwin,
Ben Kingsley,
Kevin Spacy,
Nicholas Cage (just watch Adaptation, Bringing out the Dead and Leaving Las Vegas!)
Steve Busemi,
Bill Murray,
Tom Waits,
Forrest Whitaker
James Spader
Jean Reno,
Tom Noonan

Women:

Nicole Kidman (Watch Dogville before you judge me),
Tilda Swinton,
Helena Bohnman Carter,
Judi Dench,
Demi Moore,
Audrey Tautou,
Patricia Arquette,
Gina Torres,
Michelle Rodriguez
Natasha Kinski

Must stop here, this list will become endless!

IMHO, there was only three good things that came from the '70s:

So, Taxi Driver, American Graffiti, Annie Hall, Apocalypse Now, Caberet, Clockwork Orange, Deer Hunter, The Excorcist, The French Connection, Chinatown, MASH, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and The Godfather were of no account!

I agree about Rocky Horror though.

:lol:

The 1970's were the golden age of indie film making and have shaped the industry we have today.

Ohh, add Clive's list to mine. So many I forgot. Has anyone listed Keifer Sutherland and Dad? I want them too. In fact, just give me ALL the actors in the world, and I'll be content.

Back