New to Filmmaking

Hey!

My name is Reg, I am 17 years old and like with you, my passion is filmmaking, I have made all sorts of small films for school and for fun etc..on a home DV camera. I want to take the next step up and start using the "big boy" cameras etc. I want to get more knowledge of filmaking, techniques, diffrent types of cameras,lighting etc...

Just posting here to see if anyone would be interested in talking with me about well...Filmmaking. If anyone is interested it would be greatly apprciated.

Reg

e-mail- chronic8787@hotmail.com
msn- chronic8787@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
To join the film/DV discussion.. As nice as the richness of film is, I don't think I could ever use it personally? Besides the obvious cost, it's slows down the process SOOOO much? I want to be able to work at the "speed of thought" to quote the good Mr. Rodriguez.
Shoot, transfer onto your puter and then just go play? As filmmakers, creativity is our biggest weapon, to me anything that speeds up or enhances that process is our friend :)
Or maybe I'm just a control freak?

Of course, if you really want fun, grab something high-def hehehe..
*as moths start flying from my wallet*
Maybe if I start saving now, I could have one in... 10 years? lol
Thanks for the tip on casting btw, I've always thought no money = no actors

Iv shot 4 total short films on a DV camera, of course im a n00b and they were not perfect or anything, but Myself I always felt something missing, I want them to feel like a motion picture.

I am in Filmmaking for the long run, Planning on going to film school and eventully work on the big ones :)... I live for making movies :) Being still in High School, yes, some may say, why waste money on film when you can just use a DV camera. For that, I say, Experience. I want to get as much experience as I can. With a Film camera it only brings more experience :) more debt, but is the experience worth it? :yes:

anyways, if that made any sense...

Back to my N00B Questions!!!

Is there a place I could look at scripts online? Just to get a feel of what they should look like. I have never wrote a script in my life, and well...today is a good day to start :P

Is there a place I could look at scripts online?

smiley_learn.gif
Drew's Script-o-Rama

Boo's Horrors flick uses 16, 35 and S8, if I recall correctly. Very mixed media. Looks snappy. :cool:

had an older look to it, is that the camera? or a technique you tryed for?

That's just what Super-8 looks like. Hard to explain, I guess... it just "is".

________

Interesting thoughts, good Bl33dingskyproductions. Not sure I agree, though. :)

It does remind me of a little anecdote, though. I think it puts things in perspective.

(Spoilered for language)

"Two Bulls on a Hill"

Two bulls stood on a hill. They looked down on a valley where a dozen cows grazed.

The young bull said, "Hey Pop, let's run down there and fuck one of those heifers."

"No, Son," said the old bull. "Let's WALK down there and fuck ALL those heifers."

;)

If you're interested in getting the most out of DV, you can take a look at what I've learned over at my site ( http://www.yafiunderground.com Under the current link)...I'm keeping a production diary and have corralled all of the learning I've done in the past couple of years into a low/no-budget how to page.

On dv, you should always under-expose slightly and always run with a polarizer (unless you absolutely cannot due to lighting restrictions).

In film they protect their blacks. With chemical film stock, if all the emulsion gets washed off in a particular portion of the image, it can never be brought back. Film shoots in negative.

DV has precisely the same problem for entirely different reasons...but in DV, we record in positive, so the situation reverses itself. In DV, ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR WHITES! Look at some of your footage taken outside sometime. Is the sky rich and blue behind your actors? Can you see details in the clouds?

Always run manual aperture/exposure. If your camera won't allow you to do that at the same time as your focus...let the camera auto focus. The focus problems will be more forgiven than the blown out skies and the black halos around your talent as the camera tries to enhance the edges.

You will see this problem on interiors as well. Avoid pure whites in you set and costume as much as possible unless you have a specific artistic reason to do otherwise. To see this demonstrated, check out the location shoot page, the older pictures at the bottom were taken with the same camera over a year ago. I've learned alot since then. The camera in question is a JVC GRDVL820 (~$800). The audio is broken somewhat (I think the heads are out of alignment and if someone has service manuals for this camera, I'd be very happy...JVC won't return my e-mails), but the pictures are pretty.

And always white balance manually, don't let the camera guess at that one either. Once every hour or two EXT and once at the beginning of the shoot for no sunlight INT.

HTH
-Cole

I was confussed before, I thought the camera made the look of the film, but really there are diffrent types of film which bring out diffrent looks? correct?

Back