Pro Res - windows alternative?

So iv finally bitten the bullet and moved back to windows ( w8 ).

now I can edit my h.264 footage natively no problems, but what I would like to know is what are the pro res equivalents?

so Pres-4444
pres-422HQ
pres422
pres422lt
proresproxy

could only people who know the answer or at least what they are talking about answer..

So iv finally bitten the bullet and moved back to windows ( w8 ).

now I can edit my h.264 footage natively no problems, but what I would like to know is what are the pro res equivalents?

so Pres-4444
pres-422HQ
pres422
pres422lt
proresproxy

Not sure what you're asking here. Is this to transcode, or to get similar handling from recorded ProRes files? If your machine handles h264 without issues, there isn't much need to transcode I don't think, unless you're encoding back and forth between an external VFX package.

If your footage was shot on a T2i or something, it's probably comparable in bitrate to ProRes422 Proxy, if it's from a 5D or better then the ProRes422 LT is probably a better choice. The regular 422, 422 HQ and 444 are better, but the files get very large. Doing 444 between applications might help if there's a lot going to happen to it, I'm not sure.

This help at all?

CraigL

Not sure what you're asking here. Is this to transcode, or to get similar handling from recorded ProRes files? If your machine handles h264 without issues, there isn't much need to transcode I don't think, unless you're encoding back and forth between an external VFX package.

If your footage was shot on a T2i or something, it's probably comparable in bitrate to ProRes422 Proxy, if it's from a 5D or better then the ProRes422 LT is probably a better choice. The regular 422, 422 HQ and 444 are better, but the files get very large. Doing 444 between applications might help if there's a lot going to happen to it, I'm not sure.

This help at all?

CraigL

what im asking for is windows compatible codecs to edit, colour, do motion graphics with that are comparable to apples prores codecs.

and if someone could list the equivalents

for example:

pro res 4444 - the windows codec equivalents are:
pro res 422 HQ - windows codec equivalents are:
pro res 422 - W8 equivalent... etc etc

I just need the equivalents iv searched perhaps not good enough but cant find much info? is it that apples codecs are just straight forward and that by delving into windows I am stepping into a realm of unlimited possibilities?

there is some pixel peeping debate on the merrits of transcoding 4:2:0 source material into 4:2:2 . Logic being that even though there is no data in those bits in the source material, once you start CC'ing you put data therein, thus gain a benefit from the transcode.

In addition, some tools dont like the MTS files, resolve 9, for example, and transcoding everything to dnxhd lets me edit in ppro, cc in resolve, etc..

what im asking for is windows compatible codecs to edit, colour, do motion graphics with that are comparable to apples prores codecs.

I think the fact that I had forgotten about was not being able to encode ProRes on windows... or so I thought. I found this http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/ that claims to be able to do it, and they have a 1080 version for free. I've not looked into it at all, but I wonder if that might be easier?

The codes suggested (Cineform & DNxHD) are the ones that are touted as and compared to ProRes. DNxHD offers similar bitrates, bitdepths and chroma subsampling that ProRes has, Cineform has encoder qualities similar to DNxHD, but you need to pay for the 444 version and perhaps the 10bit version. Ever since the GoPro merge, they've dumbed down the free version page so ridiculously, I never seem to be able to find any decent specs about it.

For an exact one-to-one, I'm not familiar enough with ProRes to comment.

CraigL

Back