• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Chronicles of Nerm Trailer

I put up some rough demo footage from 'The Chronicles of Nerm' months ago, but I recently had to create something a bit more trailer'ish. It's hard to throw a trailer together only using 2 minutes of finished renders, all from the first 3 minutes of a 10 minute film, but here's some more shots from my solo-animated film.

Hopefully, this will also be (further) proof that I am still working on this project and it will be finished (soon!). This is a completely solo (aside from voice actors) project that I've been working on for the last 4 or so years.

http://www.vimeo.com/4268602 <--New 'trailer'

Nerm06csmall.jpg

http://www.vimeo.com/4268602 <--New 'trailer'

Holy Crap! Everyone get in line cause we need to bow down to this guy, or girl, right now, because someday we are all hopefully going to be working for him/her. Can I just say that was great animation. I can understand why it is taking over 4 years to make and it looks to be well worth the effort. If the story is a quarter as good as the animation we are in for a treat. Is there anything I can do, other then just general sucking up, to help you with your film? I am think mostly just promote it some how. Let me know. Great job and I can't wait to see the finished product.

I think the quality of CGI and the production value are amazing. Truly professional, and you've got a great career ahead of you.

I think the trailer was weak though. And with all that 'voice talent', you didn't put a single bit of dialog or sound design into the actual trailer. I also didn't think the music choice lent itself well to the trailer...it was building up to what? The robot getting shot? It really doesn't work.

I would try cutting a little more mainstream a trailer--with dialog, sound design, etc.

Good luck. It looks freakin' awesome.

I agree, but I had to build a quick little trailer out of very little footage, most of which is unfinished (which is why the voices aren't in there, ect). Believe me, this isn't the finished project, just a quick tralier to show off some of the animation and such. Something much more complete will be put together a bit further into animation and rendering, I promise.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Last edited:
great animation! your skills are awesome. the trailer is a bit lacking as far as understanding what the story is about. I wanted to see what happened to the robots head. what applications did you use to make this?

May I ask what software you use (Max or Maya), and what lighting rig do you use? Is that Mental Ray? Any form of GI?

I love the lighting.

Looks fantastic. Very professional. Matter of fact it reminds me of Avatar as far as the guy. The robot reminds me of the movie Wall-E. Great job. I agree Pixlar should hire you. Or maybe you could just start your own company that releases this type of movies. I would probably leave out who the voice talent is on the trailer because none of them are well known actors.

Last edited:
Looks good.

Trailer seems like a waste of your talents. You can tell there's amazing stuff but it's hiding behind music that doesn't fit and lack of story.

I'm very impressed too. I would love to see more of a scene than a trailer. Anything to show what the story is. The animation is impeccable and very well done. Good lighting and scene work as well as facial animation.

Thanks for the very nice comments everyone, very much appreciated!

Looks good.

Trailer seems like a waste of your talents. You can tell there's amazing stuff but it's hiding behind music that doesn't fit and lack of story.

I somewhat agree, but it's hard to show a lot of story when it can sometimes take up to several weeks to kick out a final version of a shot. A lot of people wanted to see what the film looked like in motion, so I cut together what I could. It's definetely a lot easier to edit a trailer of live action video! But don't worry, the finished film (hopefully) does have an entertaining story. And while this music won't be in the finished film, the overall feeling of the film isn't too terribly far off and should make more sense in the end (picture a horror film, but wrapped in an adorable, sweet looking package)... not that that excuses the visual tone I have in here now though!

May I ask what software you use (Max or Maya), and what lighting rig do you use? Is that Mental Ray? Any form of GI?

I love the lighting.

It was made in 3D Studio Max. I'm lighting the set and the characters seperately (in different scenes) and compositing the two together. Its all VRay, which is easy and fast! It's all using GI.

I would probably leave out who the voice talent is on the trailer because none of them are well known actors.

I have to disagree that they're not known. Zoe Bell was the lead in a Tarantino film, plus has been in a ton of other films and tv shows. I adore my cast and I'm VERY appreciative that they took a chance on such a small, no-budget film.

BTW, Chris is a guy.

I've seen a full scene from this film and it's as jaw-dropping as the trailer implies.

Thanks Mick, but people should bow down to the king of no-crew filmmaking at its best! (you)

I am rarely impressed by indie animations, but this work is nothing short of amazing. Fantastic job.

Scott

Thanks so much everyone! Don't let some stylized music bug you too much, the finished film should hopefully be a really good time. I'll probably create more of an actual trailer down the road when I'm able to cut together more footage (when its done rendering!)

Nerd plug: Come be a fan of the film 'The Chronicles of Nerm' on Facebook! (sorry)

Last edited:
Very very cool and congrats on getting the cast, definitely not an easy thing to do with no budget. NW hu? Awesome...so there are some quality filmmakers around here!!

Some nice looking footage there!

Love the little details, like the tips of the ears flapping, and some nice detail on the bared teeth.

I'll be interested to see the final work. I knew someone else who was doing a solo animated feature (that was 2D hand-drawn-though beautifully done). They were doing it solo as well-reminded me of that.

Keep up the good work! :)

Back