• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What would be similar in tone to this?

I'm writing my short film, and in the first draft I wrote a part where a white character shouts the N-word at the end of a freestyle rap song. I just kind of wrote "he shouts
nigga
or something" because it's intended to be improvised (both in character and during the actual production) so no need in scripting what will be said, other than something inflammatory needs to happen.

The whole point is the conversation that follows afterward, where another character calls him out on it. "You can't say that!" etc.

So now that I'm writing the final draft, I'd like to replace this placeholder with something similar in tone, but not as potentially offensive. What could achieve the same goal without using slurs?

its less offensive to audiences if you can pick a specific character flaw on someone and then have another character do it.

like if someone has huge ears and you call them dumbo ears, then they say you can't say that only I can say it about myself
this way you're only insulting people with ridiculous ears instead of an entire population demographic

I guess, but kind of the whole thing is "you can't show this to the entire world" (the footage is literally intended to be shown to the entire world, as it has something remarkable in it.)

If you want it to work, the character has to be offensive. Highly offensive, or it will just look like some PC police BS, and it won't be as impactful. And the character giving the lecture may look like the "sensitive" one.

Kind of funny tho, it's exactly what you described lol. At least you know it can be done. ;)

oh, wow. Never seen that movie, but now I for sure can't do that. (for the record, my version would've been funnier than that, lol)

I think I'll scour the world of cringe videos for inspiration

I'll admit it. I've seen the movie.
I've also seen his TV show the Jamie Kennedy Experiment.

Oops sorry I just realized I wrote it out but you used the spoiler block.
I'm not sure you can actually get the same effect without using a slur.
Maybe you say it but you bleep all or part of it later so viewers can guess the word?

OR never reveal it like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. Every time it's bleeped in the movie. Becomes a debate and topical afrer movie is released.

I like where you're headed buscando.

OR never reveal it like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. Every time it's bleeped in the movie. Becomes a debate and topical afrer movie is released.

It's not that degree of importance to the story. Just a small moment

Maybe you say it but you bleep all or part of it later so viewers can guess the word?

Well now I have more incentive to avoid it, since a very similar joke was done in Malibu's Most Wanted

How could you have slept on that one? :o

It stars Jamie Kennedy :no:

I still have faith in your idea. Shit, so many times we come up with original ideas just to find out it's been done before. It really is poosible more than one person can have the same idea and the first to it should not always be the victor.

There's also a less important reason; I want to try to get this one into film festivals and I'm not sure if most festivals have policies against profanity (especially the most vile word ever)

I looked into it and at least SOME do.

So it's also sort of a producer decision for me

That jokes been done to death.

I like it when the joke is reversed. In Cabin Fever an old southern man says it, and you immediately think that he is an old racist bastard. The people who are offended are all white. The white people dwell on how racist the old man is. We're left to believe he intends to use a gun on black people. Which, would be terrible.

at the end of the movie it is set up and it turns out he's actually cool, he just uses offensive language. The black people seem indifferent as he shows them great hospitality. In fact the relationship of the old man is actually subservient. He talks about how he polished the phallic object for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJc8Oemwj0

It is almost like the origination of the "almost politically correct Redneck" meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/almost-politically-correct-redneck

Though any type of joke involving race is something to be careful about, and not careless about.

Back