Youtube WTF

I know a lot of you probably aren't the biggest fans of youtube, but I do enjoy it as a time-kill. But with the changes they've made over the last couple weeks, the site is no longer bareable to me. I actually wrote them a disgruntled post on their forum. Lotta good it will do. I did give them a 5 day ultimatum:). If the changes I want are not met, I'm pulling ALL THREE of my videos, and I'll make a "youtube sucks" video and put it up and leave it, then abandon the site.

So the next question is, where do I go from there? Is there any other site that is as good a time killer as youtube? Is there a better search engine than google? I don't know. So would someone help me with a recommendation?? :)

Vimeo, for classier time-wasting :)

Have you seen FunnyOrDie? The UK version closed down a few months ago, but the US version's still going and they had some great sketches and short films on there.

What changes? I don't like or dislike youtube. I'm neutral in this war.

But then, I go on 4chan, so I'm not exactly tipping the classy scales here.

Still, you stick it to the man Murdock. Stick it to him good. Then pics plz :P

Vimeo is the best in terms of video codec quality, but the selection is not nearly as diverse as YouTube. Metacafe.com has a lot of raunchy material and is probably 2nd place in terms of the amount of content to YouTube (which has exponentially more).

Atom.com, Formerly AtomFilms is now owned by Viacom and Comedy Central and has some decent material, but nothing as funny as FUNNYORDIE.COM

What changes? I don't like or dislike youtube. I'm neutral in this war.

But then, I go on 4chan, so I'm not exactly tipping the classy scales here.

Still, you stick it to the man Murdock. Stick it to him good. Then pics plz :P

I'm not really sure I'm comfortable with the use of the '4chan' and 'pics plz' in the same post. :lol:

:D

lol, I had no idea what 4chan was (still not sure I do, after reading the wiki :P).

I haven't noticed a big change in youtube except that my front page no longer tells me if I have comments, which is annoying, but not a huge deal. What else has changed?

You used to have a nice part which was only for videos to which you subscribed. Now it's some scattered shit all over the place

The new templates suck.
The comment system sucks major ass. Seriously. How the fuck am I going to find a reply among 6256467 other comments!

lol, I had no idea what 4chan was (still not sure I do, after reading the wiki :P).

I haven't noticed a big change in youtube except that my front page no longer tells me if I have comments, which is annoying, but not a huge deal. What else has changed?

Like thte two posters above, the new layout is completely usless for anything but knowing what your subscriptions are up to. I subscribed to things acuse I want to check back in on them now and again not be inundated with everything. And as a time kill I would rely on the "recommended" videos which no longer exists. They have rec ommended channels but those are mostly lame or corporate.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll give them a try.

I agree the new layout sucks a bit...

I know a lot of you probably aren't the biggest fans of youtube...

Why? I think it's one of the most amazing sites ever made. Scratch that, one of the most amazing inventions ever. The rise of YT is as important as the invention of the printing press in human history.

I agree the new layout sucks a bit...

Why? I think it's one of the most amazing sites ever made. Scratch that, one of the most amazing inventions ever. The rise of YT is as important as the invention of the printing press in human history.

It was, until google got a hold of it. Seems like they're trying to wrangle everyone to their advertisers or their partners.

It was, until google got a hold of it. Seems like they're trying to wrangle everyone to their advertisers or their partners.

Yeah.... because someone has to pay for the site and the billions of videos being hosted. That's not actually free to do for THEM.

No, I am not a fan of YouTube's new layout, but it's not that radically different. The one change I am vehemently against is that all of the featured videos are not genuinely decided by users and views, but corporate sponsorship and paid to be the main focus. That's a little deceptive. They are trying to dictate what people "like", but it rarely ever works, so in the end it's more pointless and annoying than "wrong".

Yeah.... because someone has to pay for the site and the billions of videos being hosted. That's not actually free to do for THEM.

No, I am not a fan of YouTube's new layout, but it's not that radically different. The one change I am vehemently against is that all of the featured videos are not genuinely decided by users and views, but corporate sponsorship and paid to be the main focus. That's a little deceptive. They are trying to dictate what people "like", but it rarely ever works, so in the end it's more pointless and annoying than "wrong".

You're right. Like you say, I guess it's the invasive nature of the way they are doing it that bothers me. They released a beta version for everyone to try and from what I've read no one liked it, or at best said something like what you said, "Its not that bad". I think it would be funny if people with large channels and many subscribers started redirecting their traffic to other sites like vimeo, in response to YT ignoring their users.

That's the free market in action. If YT fubars the whole thing you may just see a mass exodus and a huge migration to another site.

That's the free market in action. If YT fubars the whole thing you may just see a mass exodus and a huge migration to another site.

I think 2-3 years ago, no one would have thought Myspace would turn into an epic fail and the mass exodus to Facebook.

To me YouTube has not had that big change, but it is possible at some point as they try to monetize their enormous site, that they will make changes and everyone will leave and go to a competitor site that has less advertising.... then the pattern will recur as people go to sites without ads until they become sites with ads.

hey, I just left youtube as well a little over a week ago. the quality was horrible, no matter what format I uploaded in, no matter how long I waited for it to clear up, I could never be rid of those freaking pixels....vimeo's quality is much better.

Back