• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Yours Forever - Short shot on RED

Quick synopsis:
"A short film about an old man who one day decides to contact the love of his life."

I recently finished this movie with a classmate of mine from film school, I shot it and he wrote and directed it. The movie is shot on RED, which is a nice contrast to my usual filmmaking where I've been using a Canon HV20 and lately the EOS 550D/Rebel T2i. I'll gladly take comments on the photography and lighting in the movie, any pointers and comments are welcome. You are of course very welcome to comment on the movie itself as well, and I'll make sure to forward it to my classmate. Thanks in advance!

Check the vid here! http://www.dragonawardnewtalent.com/browse/film/din-for-evigt/

If you like the movie please rate it!

DinForEvigtSmall.png

The original title is btw "Din För Evigt".

In my perspective your short film may have had a greater effect, cinematically and artistically speaking, if it were in black & white.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the comments, I'm very pleased to hear you liked it! :)

arianR10: I think some parts might have worked quite well in black and white, but I also wouldn't want the "happier" parts without color. And so as a whole I don't think it would've worked, but it's worth a try, gonna check it out. :)

You've posted this before. Or someone else did. I remember I liked it. Good stuff.

EDIT: Wait a minute; that's not the movie I thought I saw before. Nevertheless, my comments actually still apply. I like it. Good stuff.

Last edited:
This is fantastic, I really liked it. Being Norwegian I have always admired Sweden for their great movies. They've always been a bit better than us Norwegians really. Congratulations on a fantastic short, I really liked this!

Ian

Your film is a great example of visual storytelling. The grocery bags, the lipstick on the envelope, the melting candles were amazing! Attention to detail, as I often say, is what separates the men from the boys.

There were a few shots that bothered me, but, overall, the camerawork and lighting were good.

I do have a few suggestions. I'm not sure how these will work for you or other members, but I can least throw them out there and perhaps start a minor discussion.

1. Causality
In storytelling everything happens based on the principle of "cause and effect." I do not know what caused the Man to, after so many years, call his girlfriend. It seems to me that you used the young couple in the first shot to be the cause. But I would think that the Man must have seen dozens of couples in his weekly trips to the grocery store. Why was this couple, on that day, different than the others?

2. Voices
When the young couple shows up in the first short, we can hear them talk and giggle. This establishes that your movie isn't a silent piece per se. So it feels incongruous when the Man and his girlfriend talk on the phone. I would like to hear their voices. I definitely won't understand what they're saying, but this is one thing I like in foreign movies: different languages. Let them speak. You don't even need subtitles (since the story is easily understood), but you're welcome to use them.

3. Theme
What is the movie's theme? What is the central idea that governs the movie? Maybe this is too scholarly for some people, but I think the discussion is needed. For me at least, your ending felt like there was something missing. Does the Man even learn about what happened to his girlfriend? Or does he think that she just ditched him? I think the lesson to the audience is clear: Don't wait a lifetime before calling the one you love. But what does the Man learn? Perhaps the problem is not theme. Maybe the problem is Character Arc. In the first half of your film, the Man grows because he calls his friend. But how does he grow in the second half? How?

I hope you don't think I'm nitpicking. But if these questions can raised maybe they could have been solved in the making of your film. What is nitpicking if not another word for "perfectionism"? And we strive for perfection, don't we? This too separates them men from the boys.

Great job,
Gabriel

Back