KILLCAST

Has anybody been keeping an eye on “KILLCAST”? If not, take a look. There’s about 7 hours left.

KILLCAST

It’s an interesting idea. The “filmmaker” is running a 24hr live stream from his “killing room”. “Victims” are tortured and killed, live. You can watch and interact for free. You then have the option to buy the edited version, a 90 minute feature. There’s also plenty of merchandise to go with it.

Unfortunately, the execution doesn’t seem to be as good as the premise would allow. There appears to be only two cameras to what is slated as “The Big Show”. These two cameras offer very little in difference between the two angles. The acting and effects are pretty standard for no-budget horror. Plus, from what I can tell, there’s no narrative. There’s no character for us to root for. There are no characters at all really; it’s just people standing around, waiting to be killed. The times that I’ve “tuned in”, I’ve been treated to people either standing still for minutes on end, or people lying down. I’m not sure if the expectation was that some people may actually watch the entire 24hr show… However, there are a few “highlight” videos showing just the killings, but, as I said earlier, the effects aren’t all that great. I’m not sure how well any of this will edit down to a 90 minute film.

Bloody Disgusting has posted a few articles about it over the past week or so, but other than that, there hasn’t been much promotion.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Hmmmm. How topical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh4_JL5nitk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, Sfoster. :)

Kidding aside, I'm not sure. I missed it. But viewing the promo video, I'm not sure what I think about it. The audio is pretty...difficult. But it looks like they had fun making it. Looks like it could be pretty creepy.

What do you think, MH?

Honestly, from what I saw, the doggie court is more entertaining.

Essentially, they made a film, live. That’s admirable.

But...

Having only dipped in and out, I may have completely missed it, but from what I can tell there was literally no narrative. No characters to invest in. Nothing. If I were making this film, I’d have then had a few of the victims band together and try to escape. Then I’d perhaps have had a few more cameras set up in the “Killing Room” and I’d have strapped a Go-Pro to each of the victims. That could’ve been cool, although better once cut down to 90mins. Nobody is going to watch a film for 24hrs.

Nice idea. Shame about the execution.

Reminds me of Videodrome. Which of course, was good because it wasn't just about the murder and torture being broadcast. That would be the way to do it; film for 24 hours like they did, and use that as the driving force behind a narrative film. That's how I'd do it anyway. Just killing with no plot? Yeah, not my cup of tea there.

It seems like a better idea would be to do the webcast, then at the end release the film that shows what was going on with the characters outside the killing room - who they are, how they got there, who's behind all of it. Basically turn the live webcast aspect of it into a promotional technique to get people aware of/interested in your film.

Wow, great ideas. Too bad you all didn't make it. :) And reading what you guys would have done, I was thinking maybe if they'd have done it a bit more like live theater, then edited it down to its most interesting parts and of course making a coherent narrative. Well, pretty much everyone already said, I think.

So yeah, what if they had done it almost like a reality TV show, like Big Brother, only much more interesting :P, and done like a twenty-four hour marathon live performance, capturing things like, as you said, what's going on with, and us getting to know, the victims outside of the killing room, then condensing it into a feature film, or whatever?

Last edited:
It seems like a better idea would be to do the webcast, then at the end release the film that shows what was going on with the characters outside the killing room - who they are, how they got there, who's behind all of it. Basically turn the live webcast aspect of it into a promotional technique to get people aware of/interested in your film.

Imagine if they were to remake "The Running Man", but before it was even announced they release a few episodes. That'd be cool and would hype the movie massively.

Back