How long until film goes rotten?

I have a roll of super8 film from (I think) the late 1970's, it has never been opened (the Kmart price tag says $7.86). I imagine if I use it, the results would be weird-and-dirty-and-messed-up looking. Or it will be returned blank. Was wondering if anybody has shot with an old roll like this?

It's Kodachrome 40 color negative and it says to process before 1988. Would like to film something specific to what it would produce, .... just not sure it'll produce any images at all. Thanks.

No negative stocks were ever made for Super8 - it was Super8Sound (Pro8) that started cutting 16mm and even 35mm neg as Super8 in the late 80's.

Unexposed Super8 film doesn't last much longer than it's exparation date. About 10 years ago I shot a roll that I found in the back of the walk-in closet I used as an editing in my parents house. It had expired in 84-85. There was almost no image at all.

directorik said:
No negative stocks were ever made for Super8

CORRECTION!!! Kodak has been manufacturing negative film stocks for Super 8 for 2 years now. Started with the VISION 200T and now they've added VISION 500T and VISION2 200T just in 2004.

(( see here - http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/super8/film.jhtml?id=0.1.4.4.10.4.4&lc=en ))

The life of the film depends entirely on how it was stored. You can have film from 10 years ago be fine if frozen in a freezer in a plastic bag. Even super 8.

Last edited:
How long???

dudebro said:
I have a roll of super8 film from (I think) the late 1970's, it has never been opened (the Kmart price tag says $7.86). I imagine if I use it, the results would be weird-and-dirty-and-messed-up looking. Or it will be returned blank. Was wondering if anybody has shot with an old roll like this?

It's Kodachrome 40 color negative and it says to process before 1988. Would like to film something specific to what it would produce, .... just not sure it'll produce any images at all. Thanks.

Exactly what SonnyBoo says...

I've bought old brownie Super8 cameras in thrift stores that still had half a cartridge left of unexposed film dating as far back as the mid 70's.

Shot the rest of the film, had it processed, and came out great...

My experience is that as long as the film hasn't been exposed to extreme heat and or extremely varying temperatures, the footage will usually come out okay as long as the camera is in decent shape.

Having said that...

Even if the film has been stored in less than desirable conditions, you might just find a new and different look that you like...

filmy

Back