• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Selective coloring?

I'm not really sure what its actually called, but id like to use the "Pleasantville" or "Sin City" style editing where everything is grey scaled except certain things?

I have Vegas 6.0 but I'm sure you're going to tell me to install Adobe AE, but if there are any easy ways of doing this, please send feedback. Thanks all.

I have Vegas 6.0 but I'm sure you're going to tell me to install Adobe AE

Sorry ... This probably isn't going to help. Unless you've got a mate with FCP.

Eureka do a set of cheap pluggins for FCP which do exactly this thing ... and you're right, they call it the Pleasantville effect.

alot of what they did in pleasantville was done with set and costume design...in the same way you would make sure to not have blue in the forground when bluescreening and green with greenscreen, you make sure to make a point of having only the thing you want red be red in the viewfinder when shooting. When you get into post, you make a copy of the source and redscreen in this example to knock out the red piece, then desaturate the other layer.

Can one do color correction in Final Cut Pro? Or do you need the Vegas tool for this?

After shooting, I'd like to "warm up" certain scenes and "cool down" others using color correction. What's the best way to do this?

Final Cut has a great color correction filter that I use on just about every shot. It allows you to adjust luminance, saturation, and color balance.

If you need to separate colors within the frame for different corrections, you'll need to use layers and apply filters to isolate the regions you want to alter in each layer. That, however, is far more complex and dependant on the source material and your goals.

Color correction, across the entire frame can be reasonably straight forward. Generally, you do color correction last, after you've completed all of your edits ... so you get consistant color over an entire scene.

You might also want to have a peek at Graham Nattresses filters for FCP. They offer some interesting color adjustments/effects. See www.nattress.com for examples and free preview plugins.

yeah! that's what i wanted to hear =)

i am a film geek, as i'm sure most of us on this forum are (lol), and i think one of things that separates the caliber of films is the visual tone of a film. while i can't afford film (i'm shooting HD) or a SAG DP, i can get a good basic shot and then tweak the vibe of the scenes post production this way. this is very good news for me...

~

If you need to separate colors within the frame for different corrections, you'll need to use layers and apply filters to isolate the regions you want to alter in each layer. That, however, is far more complex and dependant on the source material and your goals.

Color correction, across the entire frame can be reasonably straight forward. Generally, you do color correction last, after you've completed all of your edits ... so you get consistant color over an entire scene.

I have a similar problem. I know how to do the basic "Pleasantville effect" but I didn't plan on it during production. How do I separate the colors within the frame? I only want to isolate a certain yellow object in the frame but it sucks because there are other yellow objects in the frame as well that I want to remain black and white. How do I isolate the regions of the frame that I want to apply filters to?

thanks in advance.

do the yellow things ever overlap? If not, you can duplicate the layer, crop the top one to just the item you want colored, then desaturate the lower layer and the non-yellow bits of the cropped layer above it.

If they do overlap, you'll need to rotoscope it... annoying but doable.

they don't overlap thankfully

can you kindly tell me where the buttons are for:

1. duplicate layer (do i just right click the image? oh... or do i copy and paste the image into the timeframe and add it above the other layer?)
2. crop layer (i know how to re-size a layer easily, but not how to crop)

thanks

To switch to the crop tool, hit the 'c' key, then turn on the wireframe view in the upper portion of the canvas. You can then select the clip in the timeline you want to crop, and drag the edges/corners of the clip to crop it to the yellow piece. If it moves, you can even keyframe the crop to move with it. The 'a' key will switch you back to the normal "Arrow" tool.

Ok so I cropped it, but it stills shows some unnecessary yellow that occurs behind the object. Is there some way I can trim the crop around the edges of the object and keyframe it or whatever so that it moves with the object?

Back