Looking for advice from experienced filmmakers...

Hi Everyone.

I'm an aspiring filmmaker. I've recently finished the script for my first serious short which I intent to make. However, it's an ambitious project and I'm in the dark on a fair few things. I was hoping I could get some advice from other filmmakers more experienced than myself on the short film production process. Is there anyone out there that would be happy to share their own knowledge/experience?

Thank you.

Laura

Well, it helps if you actually ask the questions you have instead of asking whether you can ask the questions ;)

In case you never made anything: go play around with a camera and edit a scene.
It will teach you a lot.

This is the place.

Read threads. People have been sharing their own knowledge/experience here
for a long time. Wondering about cameras? Check the cameras section. There
is a preproduction section devoted to that essential part of making a movie.
There's an entire film school right here on the discussion boards.

pre production is ver important. before shooting make sure everything is ready. any special effects, where you want to have your camera pointed. everything should be pre thought out before hand.

a couple dry runs wont hurt before you shoot. But the other day I was thinking a lot of the times when I would do dry runs the actors would feel more comfortable because the camera wasn't on. Next time I do a dry run I think I am just gonna say it's off but really record them.

Well, it helps if you actually ask the questions you have instead of asking whether you can ask the questions ;)

^^^

As far as ambitious, make sure you write it within your budget and reality. If you need your actors swimming down a dam that just broke, you might have more problems than just sitting around a campfire.

Back