What are the duties of a producer?

I did have a question I've been boggling for days now, what are the duties of a producer on a low budget, indie film production? Especially if that producer has been hired by the director.

Are you only interested in indie production?

I don't know much about "producers" in the indie industry... aside from the Bootleg Universe produced by Adi Shanker... but those are even produced low budget with professional hierarchy.

------

Also you're new so let me clear this up for you, as I'm sure you're curious. Executive Producers are not part of the team, they are investors (Union defined as accounting for 25% of the film's funding).

If you're interested... it's good to know... here's professional roles of The Producer

Significant decision-making authority over a
majority of the producing functions across all 4
phases

Development: conceive premise or select material,
select writer, secure rights and financing...

Pre-Production: Participate in selection of pivotal
members of creative team (Director, coproducer,
Cinematographer/D.P., Unit Production
Manager, Production Designer, principal cast)
(Director also involved in selection of D.P. and
P.D., depending on project)

Hiring important members of the creative team
is a largely collaborative process in which the Producer
has the loudest voice

------

Fun to note here that even though the producer is technically the loudest say in decisions in film, a theory called Auteurism says that the Director is above the Producer in creative decisions. This is more common when the director is well established and has more pull, such as JJ, Bay, etc... that have proven to make big bucks. Although in television it is needed to note that a Producer will always be the creative force behind the project as a show may have any number of directors rotating episodes.

Last edited:
Are you only interested in indie production?

I don't know much about "producers" in the indie industry... aside from the Bootleg Universe produced by Adi Shanker... but those are even produced low budget with professional hierarchy.

------

Also you're new so let me clear this up for you, as I'm sure you're curious. Executive Producers are not part of the team, they are investors (Union defined as accounting for 25% of the film's funding).

If you're interested... it's good to know... here's professional roles of The Producer

Significant decision-making authority over a
majority of the producing functions across all 4
phases

Development: conceive premise or select material,
select writer, secure rights and financing...

Pre-Production: Participate in selection of pivotal
members of creative team (Director, coproducer,
Cinematographer/D.P., Unit Production
Manager, Production Designer, principal cast)
(Director also involved in selection of D.P. and
P.D., depending on project)

Hiring important members of the creative team
is a largely collaborative process in which the Producer
has the loudest voice

------

Fun to note here that even though the producer is technically the loudest say in decisions in film, a theory called Auteurism says that the Director is above the Producer in creative decisions. This is more common when the director is well established and has more pull, such as JJ, Bay, etc... that have proven to make big bucks. Although in television it is needed to note that a Producer will always be the creative force behind the project as a show may have any number of directors rotating episodes.

Ah, I see, well to answer Sweetie, the producer I mean is not the one who provides the money but who helps make sure day to day operations go well...

And to Sky Copeland, the duties you described of a producer are all the duties I'll be doing - the hiring and stuff but so what do you call those who help and assist the director(s)/producer(s) in casting, hiring and doing the day to day operations leading up to production and during production?

Last edited:
In the US hierarchy you'll find that the extras casting is done by the 2nd Assistant Director who will also do a number of pre-production things like the shot lists and breakdowns. As well as the call sheets.

Fun note, UPM (Production Manager) is a very stressful job on high demand projects, however they will save the production a LOT of time. Highly recommend them as one of the first positions you fill on a project you are putting a lot of effort into.

Lol a producer with workers, or a producer with out? because if a producer is also the only person on set, that guys doing everything. If he has a sound guy, that's one less job...lighting guy, one less job again...a producer does whatever he has to, to get the film made.

Back