Blank Audio Tracks

sfoster

Staff Member
I recently tried to use a DR70-D for production.
I had a friend that doesn't have audio experience do the boom'd mic, but out of 45 tracks the middle 25 are blank :huh:

He says that he was able to hear audio through his headphones.
And this thing was definitely recording since I have the blank audio tracks.

What happened.. is it possible for something like this to record a track and send audio to the headphones but not actually record the audio?

70D is a multi-track recorder. He may have recorded the wrong iso's. For instance, turned off the boom and turned on say track 2 or 3. It'd odd though, you usually don't get to hear the audio if the appropriate iso is turned off.

That being said, I've never used (nor seen) a 70D. I played around for a little bit with the 60D about 18 months ago, so I assume it's similar.

70D is a multi-track recorder. He may have recorded the wrong iso's. For instance, turned off the boom and turned on say track 2 or 3. It'd odd though, you usually don't get to hear the audio if the appropriate iso is turned off.

That being said, I've never used (nor seen) a 70D. I played around for a little bit with the 60D about 18 months ago, so I assume it's similar.

he definitely never went into the digital menu.
Next time I will wear the headphones myself while I am holding the camera :no:

Okay I had some confusion in my last post, here is what I found.

When taking a break and unplugging the microphone to sit down it disabled phantom power.
This stopped feeding audio to the headphones and to the unit - something my friend should have noticed. He did not. This is why we had blank audio tracks.

I monitored it myself on the last shoot and discovered this behavior.

Last edited:
Back