Off to a great festival start

Well, I had to post a bit of a brag thread.

I started the festival submissions on my new film a little over a month ago. The first festival notification date was a festival near me in Paducah Kentucky called River's Edge (this is their 6th year). I got the Accepted email last week. The second notification I was looking for was from a first year festival in DC called "The REEl Independent Film Festival and Extravaganza", I got the "Accepted" about an hour ago. Now neither of these are top tier (or hell probably even mid tier) festivals, but to start off two for two is pretty amazing. I'm sure I have a lot of "rejected" coming. I did enter several mid tier and top tier festivals, but getting these acceptances so early on ought to lessen that sting a bit.

Well, some nicely timed good news. Getting VERY bummed out as Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, Boston, even Tromadance all turned me down in the past couiple of weeks, but just got the email we won best drama at the Las Vegas Media Expo. Small new fest, but hey, I'll take it.

It's a solid film, good, but not great. I did some things really well, I did some things , eh, not bad. It's a process and I took another step. I have to keep taking steps forward and not back. So far everything has been crafted to some end (like "festival friendly"). I really need to make the film I really want to make, where I don't accept any limitations, or think about consequences, just go with my gut.

Just an update with the news The Island was accepted for the Pittsburg Horror Film Festival in early June. I won't be able to go. I have Roller Derby (I'm the announcer) that weekend, and in hardcore pre-pro for the new film right now. That makes 8 festivals for the film so far. I entered 25, have been accepted at 6 (with 2 still pending), and was invited to screen at 2 more I didn't enter. Mostly all "genre" festivals. Either Horror/Sci Fi, or shorts focused. Not much luck with the big boys, but pretty good for my second film.

Well, the movie that wouldn't die. I didn't get in the San Pedro H.P. Lovecraft festival, but I just got the email, The Island will be playing at the H.P. Lovecraft Festival in Portland Oregon the end of September.

That's cool news, Gonzo. I hope to attend the San Pedro fest, but can't make the Portland one. The Island is a good short film and a nice fit for the HPLFF lineup. Congrats!

I COULD have made the San Pedro fest, but can't make Portland. I'm the play by play man for the Nashville Rollergirls roller derby team and we're in the regional tournament that weekend.

Hopefully the new film is another step forward. Trying the "his films have become so good we can't ignore him" route to feature funding. We'll see how that works out... lol.

Back