Rejected

So my film class submitted a five minute version of my film Strictly Business to the Foothills Film Festival and it was rejected for violence and strong thematic content. This was very frustrating, as we had put so much hard work into the film. It was further frustrating when we saw the other submissions for feature film, as we quickly discovered the competition would have been weak had we made it into the lineup. Anyway, we ended up winning Best of Fest anyway with our PSA because the other entries were...well..lacking.

Anyone else have good stories about being rejected? lol

I had a VERY strong run with my last film, it had a very high acceptance rate, meaning I got into 8 of the 30 festivals I submitted to. If you're going to play the festival game you better get the thick skin of a door to door salesmen because "no" will outnumber ""yes" 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 to 1.

We've enter 6 and been very lucky. We were selected 2 times. You really have to be picky about your festivals. Some are a total waste of time, not because they are small, but because they are so large. Our poor film didn't stand an ice cubes chance in hell at SXSW. There were 4000 or more entries for a small selection of time. I believe in having faith in one's project, but it's best to start out slow. At $50-75 a pop...they add up quick. On the other hand, there are Festivals that aren't worth messing with, anyway. We did one festival where there were 4 venues showing films at the same time. No films were repeated yet they had an award for Audience choice. Sorry, but that makes no sense except they hoped to get a lot of films (there were no cash awards). They made a great deal of money. Just be careful and research the festivals you enter.

To OP:

I think I agree with you that violence is grounds for rejection at a lot of festivals. But how do you know that is the reason? Were you contacted by the festival?

Back