• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

MPEG 2 export shifts sound a bit later, why?

I'm exporting a 2 hour film with Adobe Premiere CS5 and found the fastest codec is MPEG 2, which looks good on a big screen TV.

Problem is, the sound becomes unsynchronised, moving a few frames too late when viewed on TV. Why is this and how can this be fixed?

I looked for something like interleaved frame settings but no such thing.

Have anybody solved this issue before?

Unfortunately I'm not one of those who can afford every single new version of something that comes out. Need to stretch what I have for a while at least.

MPEG 2 exporting time fastest compared to .h264 or windows media or most all the other choices Premiere gives.

Need to stretch what I have for a while at least.

The stretch marks are showing. It's 6.5 years old. It's time to take it out back and shoot it.

I believe the encoder engine has been rewritten from the ground up 2 or 3 times since CS5. There have also been many updates. These fixes were, in part, designed to prevent what you're experiencing.

MPEG 2 exporting time fastest compared to .h264 or windows media or most all the other choices Premiere gives.

Unless you're dealing with time sensitive material, I don't understand why exporting time matters? Surely you're more worried about the end result, more than what's quickest for the editor to export? There is a reason that h.264 became the dominant delivery codec.

I don't understand why exporting time matters?

It's a 2 hour long movie with some complex scenes.

Exporting .h264 = 22 hours.

Exporting MPEG 2 = 7 hours. There's just no comparison.

I can't afford 22 hours every time I add a new list of changes. Got other stuff to do too. 7 hours means I get to see it the same day or early the next morning at least.

Plus the quality of MPEG 2 is good enough. It's just the sound that's off about 4 or 6 frames, which I've also seen in my older satelite TV channels which used mpeg 2 compression.

Shouldn't take that long, especially with MPEG-2 topping out at 1080p. What hardware are you using?

My 5 year old dinosaur of a home machine is doing a test 2+ hour (added Lumetri effects) h264 render getting change from 2 hours. For one thing, you're right, the MPEG-2 Render is faster - a touch under 90m. Not a 3:1 ratio that you're getting from your hardware/CS5. Maybe my hardware outpaces yours? Mine is a crappy i5, 16gig ram, gtx760. Yours?

Maybe your workflow is problematic?

Do you still have the problem when you render with other codecs/containers?

No, just mpeg 2.

But not to worry; I added the last list of changes and will probably be all, so I'm doing the final version now on .h264 which will cut out the problem.

It says it's going to take 52 hours but it's weekend so I'm going to go enjoy my weekend while it exports.

Assuming there are no power failures, which are plentiful since it's stormy and windy, the thing will be completed by Monday.

If it's interrupted I'll just shift all the soundtracks some frames earlier and do it with mpeg 2. It takes roughly only one third that of .mp4.

Why are you not exporting at the native editing codec? Export a full master file, then convert it in a third-party app, like the free MPEG StreamClip from squared5.com. It's much more efficient conversion.

I can't afford 22 hours every time I add a new list of changes. Got other stuff to do too. 7 hours means I get to see it the same day or early the next morning at least.

It's a compromise, isn't it? You can't afford the longer time it takes
so you have to live with the 4 to 6 frames off. This is the challenge
people must work with when they are using older software.

Could it be that squared5.com isn't available in S. Africa?

How do I export at the native editing codec?

If you choose to do this, when exporting, you pick the same codec as the source material. You may need to rewrap in a different container.

It's a compromise, isn't it?

Ain't that the truth. Even with new software, it's still a compromise. Usually the old bugs have been ironed out so they can introduce new features and bugs that you need to try workarounds and and new workflows.

I'm currently testing the CineForm codec. So far I'm rather impressed by its potential. It makes me a little sad that there are very few players that accept this codec. The render times for Cineform to Cineform is blazing fast. 12sec for a 60 sec timeline with very little system resources used. I'd like to have the time to work through a larger project with it to see if it holds up.

No, came out crap.

I'm doing it all over now with mpeg 2. Just moved the sound clips 3 frames earlier in relation to the video.

The overnight export begins...

To be continued I guess.

Back