• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does this title sound lame?

A potential title for the webseries I've been working on, off and on, for a while has struck me.

"To Be Continued."

This is where the question comes to mind, does this sound lame or contrived?

If it's for filmmaking or Script writing, then it's not too bad a title.

For Drama, action, comedy, unless there's a serious reason for it, I don't think it's that good.

The other thought, could people confuse it for a page break and ignore the name?

A comedy/drama about four friends from high school who start hanging out again after one of them finds out he is a father. They each deal with their own problems, and their stories overlap and affect each other.

A comedy/drama about four friends from high school who start hanging out again after one of them finds out he is a father. They each deal with their own problems, and their stories overlap and affect each other.

I think that "To be Continued" would be a great title if television, screenwriting, or filmmaking was an important element in the story. But that doesn't seem to be the case, so I'd come up with another title...

I think it could work, it's simple and familiar/memorable. According to wikipedia it's been used for the title of four albums, but they don't have anything listed in terms of film/television, so that's good. Put together a good series to back it up and I think it's fine.

The only thing that made me think about this being the title is the fact that each episode ends with a black screen that reads "To Be Continued" and it seemed like I was saying that was the title... then I started thinking "Maybe it's a good title."

I'm still not sure either way because I'm insanely picky on everything.

You are going to run in problems and misunderstanding with such title.
The main drawback however is that it gives me absolutely no clue what it is about.
So what it is about?

I've decided against it already, but to address the valid point you make, not every title, I'd even argue so far as to say most titles do not give you any idea what the film is about.

If you had no idea what Scarface was about, would the title help explain it? I don't think so.

What about any title that uses a character's name?

You are going to run in problems and misunderstanding with such title.
The main drawback however is that it gives me absolutely no clue what it is about.
So what it is about?

I've decided against it already, but to address the valid point you make, not every title, I'd even argue so far as to say most titles do not give you any idea what the film is about.

If you had no idea what Scarface was about, would the title help explain it? I don't think so.

What about any title that uses a character's name?

Both of you have good points. Titles sometimes don't tell you what a film is about, but usually a film's title is an important or reappearing element or recurring theme in the story. Gravity is a great example. The creators of the film are not speaking about literal gravity, but metaphorical gravity. Ryan's grief from her losses are suppressed and held down, but later arise, and she has to confront them. No Country for Old Men is another great example, which ties in with
The last scene of the film
. Other titles are the names of main characters or important objects in the film or show. The Walking Dead, Carrie, Dexter, The Godfather, etc. Titling a project is very important. A title of a project can draw in or push away viewers. Choose wisely.

Does the line "To Be Continued" have any purpose in the story?

I think I'm going with a different title

"Guys With Issues"

or "Dudes With Issues"

Something like that

I think I prefer the TBC title, but are you intentionally using the double meaning of 'issues' here (i.e. one of them has a kid?) I like that a lot :)

Still not a great title, though, and the double meaning doesn't work so well if only one of them has a kid...

Back