Upgrading and not sure what to get!

Hello all, new to the site and looking for advice!

I’ve got an old Olympus DSLR that I got about ten years ago now but I’m looking to upgrade as I want to get more involved in the industry, my “kit” I fear is not up to standard!

I saw a video on YouTube of Lens Whacking which I found fascinating but now I need a suitable camera and mine doesn’t take video for one.

I’m looking for something reasonably technical, that has stabilisation, good video resolution, various shutter and frame rate options. Not so fussed on budget so much as it’s about the kit but no more than £500 really if possible.

Thanks!

Welcome to IT!

If you don't know what to get, try to find people with cameras so you can test, see and feel how it works. If you think you know what to get: still try it first.
Opinions on the web should not be your only guide :P
We can do suggestions, you must try and experience whether a camera is what you are looking for :)

Nobody can tell you what the best camera for you is. Figure out what kind of features are important to you and know what your budget is. Then, because you know what you can afford and what you're wanting in a camera, it'll be easier for you to choose. When I jumped to HD, I wanted interchangeable lenses, and 1080 at 24p. I had less than $1000, so the Canon T2i was the obvious choice. When I upgraded from that, I said I wanted a global shutter, some more dynamic range, little or no moire/aliasing and the option to go 4K, so I went with the Ursa Mini 4K.

So figure out what you want first, rather than aimlessly shopping around.

If you want to go lens wacking you need a camera that can go 120 frames a second Preferably HD
(slomo) and has sensor stabilization. For 500 pounds ....euuuu...thats 569, Euro... Are you considering second hand?

I’ve got an old Olympus DSLR that I got about ten years ago now but I’m looking to upgrade as I want to get more involved in the industry, my “kit” I fear is not up to standard!

I’m looking for something reasonably technical, that has stabilisation, good video resolution, various shutter and frame rate options. Not so fussed on budget so much as it’s about the kit but no more than £500 really if possible.

When you say you want “to get more involved in the industry”, what do you mean? Owning a camera isn’t a prerequisite for that. Knowing what you’re wanting to do will help form a better plan.

You’re not gonna find a camera “kit”, much less a camera body, that will be “up to stanard” for £500 (about $700 USD). What you will find in that price range is a decent DSLR that can serve you well for learning and honing your craft - if shooting is what you’re wanting to do - while you work on other projects. Rent bigger when you need bigger.

Back