• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Wake Up: Short Film.

Hey guys,

I’ve been developing a short film since October last year, which finally starts principle photography tomorrow! However in the meantime I knocked up this little experimental horror short.

We shot it on a Saturday after coming up with a concept the Friday before. Basically we wanted to make a trippy little horror short with what he had at out disposal; which wasn’t much!

We used my Canon 550D with 18 – 55mm and 75 – 300mm lenses, we also had some work lights covered with crate paper to give off the red hue during one scene – not recommended! Luckily nothing caught fire! :)

Anyways, please let me know what you think of it:

Synopsis:
A man tormented by guilt, becomes stalked by a mysterious figure, dragging him into a bizarre nightmare

Link:
https://vimeo.com/38623794

Cheers guys,

Phill
441 Films

once again we didn't have a script

Fix this, and you'll fix half the issues in your film.

Your film is a whisker over 4 minutes long. Nothing happens 'til almost 2:05, when the doorbell rings. A full 50% of your film is plain nothing. That does not help propel your story.

Once we're in halfway, it actually starts to get interesting. (Nice job with that vanishing silhouette as the door opens, btw) Figured the ending was gonna be similar to how it did end. Good going on trying new things with your lighting, when all that red comes out. Sounds like it almost caught fire, huh? ;)

If you go into your next film with an actual script/story laid out, that will free you up to really focus on the image quality, as well as any other production-side issues that need attention.

What's your next film about? :)

Thanks for checking it out guys, really appreciate it. And fully agree with you re: the script. We've been in development for 'One Saturday' since October, it's such a long process that we felt the need to stay creative - hence the one day wonder! :)

That scene at the door took awhile to get right, and only actually looked half way decent when we added the sound effect to it! This was really made by the sound, which we spent more time on than filming and editing combined! Ha. As for the lighting, yup... there was times when I thought it was going to go up! Luckily it just stunk the hell out of the house instead! :)

Our new short, One Saturday, is about Stephen, who goes out on a walk and bumps into Barry, a socio-path hiding a very nasty secret. It's all dialogue and should be 8mins long if all goes according to plan!

It's fully scripted, and will be my first 'actual' short film with a small cast and crew. So pretty excited for that.

Lauren, it was recorded at 24fps, but I know what you mean, certain shots do look 30fos... it could have been me being a dick and not checking the settings! Ha.

Thanks once again guys, I really appreciate you taking the time out to watch it.

Regards,

Phill

Thanks for taking the time to view it rayw.

I certainly see where you're coming from, it's a fine line trying to establish tone and atmosphere within a short film... an extremely fine and difficult line! :)

That was pretty darn imaginative and cool for only a second attempt at a short. I hope my 1st attempt is a quarter that good. We'll know soon enough.

Thank you for the kind words Powerkicker, if you fancy a laugh you can see my first short film on that Vimeo page too, it's called '441' and it's VERY rough! Seeing as I didn't have a clue about the camera I was using... I was happy with how violent the deaths came out though, seeing as we only used Halloween make-up! :) We didn't have sound though... how f*cking stupid is that?

Back