The Disaster Artist

Oh well if it's a lot then that's pretty impressive.
How much money have you made?

That's my point. I have already stated in this thread that my films have made zero dollars. "Birdemic" and "The Room" made lots of dollars. I don't know how to make myself anymore clear about what I'm trying to say.

But yeah, my debut feature film, made on a budget of less than 10K, got an actual theatrical release. I'm on Rotten Tomatoes. And this film was always intended as a loss-leader, a stepping-stone to bigger things. And those bigger things are totally happening.

I feel like you were being sarcastic when you said that it's "pretty impressive", but you should actually be impressed. I can give you lessons in how to get your films seen. Here's lesson #1: fart jokes - there's never enough of them. :lol:

By the way, you can just google me. I'm very google-able, for more reasons than one.

I wasn't being sarcastic, a lot of people listening to you is impressive.
When you say a lot, how many people Is that?
Going by your theory, why should they listen to you if you haven't made money?
Because you won awards?

I wasn't being sarcastic, a lot of people listening to you is impressive.
When you say a lot, how many people Is that?
Going by your theory, why should they listen to you if you haven't made money?
Because you won awards?

I JUST told you. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get on Rotten Tomatoes? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get a theatrical release? I did those things. On the tiniest of budgets. I didn't just achieve my goal; I surpassed it. And you can do it, too. And yes, those awards are very helpful in furthering one's career. Laurels look good on movie posters. I kinda need those laurels to help make my next film a financial success.

Honestly no idea, so I looked and I'm on there. I think they mine the data from imdb.

Maybe they mine data from IMDB, but I'm not really talking about me, I'm talking about my movie. I can tell you, from first-hand experience, that it is incredibly difficult to get a tiny-budget feature film on Rotten Tomatoes. I hate braggarts just as much as everyone else, so I feel guilty saying the things that I'm saying right now, but this isn't really a matter of opinion. I have accomplished things that most filmmakers only aspire to do. And again, my point is to get back to Wiseau -- he made money. By definition, that makes him a successful movie producer.

My flick is on there. I feel like they mined it from imdb or wiki. So it was not hard to get it on there it simply appeared. It's news to me that the listing is a measure of success.

My flick is on there. I feel like they mined it from imdb or wiki. So it was not hard to get it on there it simply appeared. It's news to me that the listing is a measure of success.

Oh, well I guess you should be thanking me for sharing that news with you. Cuz it is. Congrats. Except, the real measure of success is making money with a film production. I think we can at least agree on that.

So if The Room made more money than your film, does that mean Tommy's opinion matters more than yours?
I was still wondering how many people listen to you, even a rough number, cuz I think it would help the discussion.

So if The Room made more money than your film, does that mean Tommy's opinion matters more than yours?
I was still wondering how many people listen to you, even a rough number, cuz I think it would help the discussion.

Aight, I guess it's time for me to burn the house down and then walk away. You're relatively new around here so I guess you don't know how ruthless I can be.

Why don't you have your name listed in your public profile? Why can't I find any info about you? What are you hiding?

How many of the feature films that you've produced have gotten a theatrical release? I'm guessing that number is zero. Because you've probably never self-financed a feature film, and if you have, it probably wasn't liked by very many people.

You don't belong in this conversation. Show yourself out through the rear door. And as you tuck your tail between your legs, say a brief prayer that you may some day find as much financial success as Tommy Wiseau.

Please don't be so ruthless. I just want to learn from you since you've established your opinion matters more.
My name isn't listed cuz I like to keep my privacy. But you're right. I have no self-financed features with a theatrical release. You have many more accomplishments than I do.

So only people that have done that can join this discussion? I thought we were supposed to help & learn from one another. You'd be helping me understand your criteria for a great opinion by answering my questions.
Do Wiseau's & Nguyen's opinions matter more than yours because their films made more money?
I hope you don't walk away because I really do want to understand your perspective.

Last edited:
I think you're both right, directorik & CF.
<snip>
So all opinions are Equal, but some are more In Line With Your Own Taste.
How's that?
I was hoping this was the way it was.

No, I'm saying that some people's opinions are not worth listening to. They do not matter.
Makes having a discussion difficult, doesn't it? It's nearly impossible
to come to a place of understanding or progress when the person you
are talking with feels this way.

So only people that have done that can join this discussion? I thought we were supposed to help & learn from one another. You'd be helping me understand your criteria for a great opinion by answering my questions.
Do Wiseau's & Nguyen's opinions matter more than yours because their films made more money?

Yes. I don't know how to make myself any more clear on this subject. We are in the business of making money. The people who make the most money are the people you should listen to for advice. Why is this not obvious to everyone?

My expertise is the restaurant industry. I've run restaurants that grossed many millions of dollars per year. I'm kinda good at it. I know what food sells. If you're in the mood for a burger, there's more than a few places I can recommend.

Or, there's Crackhead Steve, telling you that the best burger you can buy is from 7-11.

Which person's advice are you going to take?

Sure, Crackhead Steve may offer some reasons why he thinks Transmorphers 4 is the best thing since Citizen Kane, but I'm not sure I trust his opinion.

Everyone on this forum is a filmmaker, in one way or another. Our opinions are kinda bigger than other people's. Just own it. You make movies. Your opinion on movies is going to be heard by way more people than Crackhead Steve's.

Last edited:
Makes having a discussion difficult, doesn't it? It's nearly impossible
to come to a place of understanding or progress when the person you
are talking with feels this way.

You took my words out of context. And that kinda makes discussion difficult, doesn't it? It's nearly impossible to come to a place of understanding or progress when the person you are talking to mis-shapes your words.

Thanks for your patience, I'm sorry for being dense.
When Tommy was making The Room, do you think his opinions were better than members of the crew who thought he was doing some wrong things during the production?

Thanks for your patience, I'm sorry for being dense.
When Tommy was making The Room, do you think his opinions were better than members of the crew who thought he was doing some wrong things during the production?

I don't believe you to be dense, but how many times are you going to ask me to aswer the same question?

Yes, his opinions made a lot more cents. I don't think anyone's opinions are "better", but some people are better at doing things than other people. Wiseau is better at making money in film than either you or I. I'm really good at taking pictures of dogs. If you want a dog-photographer, I'm probably the best person in the world to do that for you. I have a friend who's really good at repairing old bikes. If you have an old bike and need it repaired, I know exactly who to you send you to.

What are YOU an expert at? What is the thing that you know that you can do WAAYYYY better than anyone else? I'm sure there's at least one thing that you can confidently say that you are the world's leading expert on. And so, if some random stranger came and gave you an opinion on that thing, would you pay it half a mind? Nope.

Wiseau made money. Maybe you should try doing that.

You took my words out of context. And that kinda makes discussion difficult, doesn't it? It's nearly impossible to come to a place of understanding or progress when the person you are talking to mis-shapes your words.
I apologize.

Back