Questions for New Directors

I'm an aspiring film director and I want to know more some of your processes. I have a few questions that I would love for anybody out there to answer about the world of film-making.

1)What experience do you have with film-making?
2)What exactly is the job of a director?
3)Is "film school" necessary or even worth the time and money?
4)Is creating a film stressful?
5)If it is, is it rewarding as well?
6)Is financing an independent movie a difficult process?
7)How do you conceptualize your projects? Do you write the script yourself, then go to story boarding and planning, then filming?
8)What's an average day of shooting like?
9)How many people (not including actors) are you working with on a film? How do you find these people?
10)What's it like working with actors? Is it hard to describe to them exactly what you have planned out in your head?
11)How much of what you have planned out in your head usually makes it to the final cut?
12)Do you enter film festivals? Have you ever won any awards at one?
13)Do you do your own editing? What software do you use?
14)Be truthful: Are you in this for the potential of fame and glory, or for the passion of your art?

I'd appreciate it if you can answer any or all of my questions. I really just want to know what steps I can make to becoming a director myself.

Thanks everybody!

I have worked on a number of films from zero budget 1 man (me) blurbs to mega million dollar Hollywood blockbusters in capacities ranging from background to Executive Producer. The last one hasn't happened on any of those blockbusters yet.

He (or she) is the conductor of the symphony. Everybody involved has a part to play, it's the director's job to get the best possible performance out of each and every one.

No. It depends upon the connections you make while attending.

Very.

Very.

It depends upon how much money you need. Some people make movies with whatever they find under their sofa cushions, others make 7 figure flicks. The more you don't have the harder it is to get it.

7)How do you conceptualize your projects? Do you write the script yourself, then go to story boarding and planning, then filming?
I write everything I direct.

There is no such thing.

9)How many people (not including actors) are you working with on a film? How do you find these people?
That depends on the project. Craigslist, Mandy and casting agenies.

10)What's it like working with actors? Is it hard to describe to them exactly what you have planned out in your head?
Frustrating. No.

11)How much of what you have planned out in your head usually makes it to the final cut?
That depends.

No.

For now. Everything from iMovie and Windows Movie Maker to Final Cut Pro and Adobe.

14)Be truthful: Are you in this for the potential of fame and glory, or for the passion of your art?
Neither. My goal is to make money from my productions. Everything that I do is to further that objective.

I'm an aspiring film director and I want to know more some of your processes. I have a few questions that I would love for anybody out there to answer about the world of film-making.

I'd appreciate it if you can answer any or all of my questions. I really just want to know what steps I can make to becoming a director myself.

Thanks everybody!

1. Worked mostly on music videos and commercial work, worked on a couple of short film projects.

2. The job description varies a little depending on where your production is at (i.e. indie or blockbuster, and what degree of each, it's a spectrum) but the general description of a director is the one who has the whole movie in his head, and has to use whatever talent and tools he has at his disposal to put it on a screen, his job is to tell a story in the most creative and original way possible. He leads a big or small team of crew and cast from various fields to one cohesive effort in trying to achieve a common goal. If you are a more independent director your job extends to doing camerawork or editing, maybe more. If you are a blockbuster direcor you have plenty of assistant, each having their own assistants, and so forth. Blockbuster productions have departmental infrastructure to handle every aspect of production and it takes the worry a little out of the director's mind, but also puts a lot more responsibility. You have to gauge what level you're at and act accordingly.

3. I'm in film school right now at York University in Toronto and I could give you a pretty good argument for either side. The truth is it's not a universal truth whether school is necessary for all, it's more of a person by person case. In today's world it is not as necessary to go to school to learn a craft that's exclusively available through an institution, you can learn most of the techniques and knowledge on-line, and the gear you need is becoming increasingly cheap. Why you should go to a film school is to network, to get a degree behind your name, and to learn the more artistic side of film. I would highly recommend that if you go to a film school it's one which focuses on the art and craft of film, and while it should have a hefty amount of practice so you learn the production workflow, you need to learn how to make a movie flow and how to captivate your audience, not just use a DSLR to have a shallow depth of field. Take what you will from that.

4. It can be, it usually is, but it's a good stress. If you can't handle stress and the pressure of a group of people looking to you for answers all at once, you should get out of the director's chair. In my opinion the profession of a director is a very noble one but a very hard one. You need to know the answer to everything your crew and cast will ask without hesitation. You will get better with time at this, and are not expected to master everything in the beginning, but that's the goal.

5. It is extremely rewarding to know that you orchestrated the film you watch when you're screening it.

6. It's becoming more easy with things like indiegogo and kickstarter websites which help you fund a project but it's by no means easy. Good news is that equipment and the things you need to make a really good movie are becoming cheaper and their quality becoming better every few months, so while making a blockbuster is still very expensive and difficult to fund, making a good indie is not that hard.

7. I write myself but I also have other people write scripts which we then revise together so we both agree on things like character development and plotlines.

8. As the previous poster said, there is no average day. I'm still on the very low end of indie film production, which means there are days where I will have to shoot things myself, and then there are days where I can sit back and let my DP shoot things, while my art director tells him how it needs to be framed. There are also varying difficulties of shoots. Sometimes you will go continuously for 14 hours in blaring heat or freezing winds, and sometimes it will be a quick 4-5 hour shoot in comfortable weather with grip that's very easy to use. It's never a dull day...

9. This also depends on the scale and budget of the production. The more known you are the easier it is to wrangle crew and cast, so start building a portfolio and letting people know what you can do. The more people you have the more your directorial qualities are put to the test, you need to be confident in directing these people to do what they're there for, while still keeping in mind they may not be getting paid and may be some of your friends who are doing you a favour. My ideal crew is: 1 DP, 1 Art Director, 1 Cameraman (not mandatory though), 3-4 grips/production assistants to help set up equipment and tear down, 1 Slater, 1-2 boom operators, 1 make-up artist, 1 production coordinator to help with forms and whatnot, and sometimes the screenwriter if it's not yourself. I'd also reccomend having the editor and visual effects person on set if it's not yourself since they might have important imput.

10. It can be difficult at times working with actors but you need to understand the process they go through. Don't be too harsh and expect a lot from them or they won't work with you again/leave your production mid-way. Though you might need to treat the actors with special care and let them have their diva moments, I guarantee you it is for good reason. They need to be left alone/with other actors and the crew and their friends CANNOT bother them during production. This a craft that requires a lot of concentration and focus, in order to get YOUR image across, if anything disturbs this it will lessen their ability to perform.

There is a DISTINCT difference between people with drama training and people who are just doing it for fun and are your friends. Even a class or two of high school drama makes the world of a difference for these people, so when you cast, a little experience goes a long way. The more experience, the better actors take directions, the easier it is to convey your idea, and the more they will know what's expected of them on a shoot. Your friends won't understand what you mean and will not understand why they're there for so many hours, actors will understand the gruelling production schedule and will be able to capture your image with very minimal direction (though obviously the more you give the better). I disagree with the previous poster, I think if they have some experience it's really easy to get your idea across, but it is a tricky thing because this is a skill you pick up as a director and one they pick up as an actor with experience.

11. Any director will tell you, very little of what you plan ends up working the way you hoped. The goal is to make it as close as possible, and have as few shots as possible not work. Sometimes you will be surprised and find unplanned or accidental shots work better than what you intended.

12. I haven't entered anything yet.

13. I do my own editing and for the most part visual effects, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. I've worked at TV stations that use Avid and didn't really like it but it is an alternative. Right now Final Cut is not really considered an industry standard anymore.

14. I'm in this because I'm an avid fan of film and I want to make what I see in my head. I don't believe in the starving artist philosophy (that which says because you don't accept money or are poor you make better art), I think selling out is a great thing so long as you don't let it impose rules on your creativity. I don't care to be famous but I do hope I end up being rich one day, only because having money gives you creative freedoms that are much much more difficult to achieve at an independent level. The more film credibility you have, the more production value you can add, the easier it is to swingle together a movie and the easier it is to let your ideas flow.

www.tedmihu.net

I was involved with filmmaking many years ago. I ended up working for a multinational company that sucked up all my time and energy so I hadn't picked up a camera in over a decade and a half. I'm getting back into it. A lot of technical stuff has changed over the years. It's been a fun ride learning it all. I'm just glad camera work/cinematography/marketing and people haven't really changed.

A job of a director changes with scope. At the low end, a director is often the glue that binds everyone together. They're the captain of the ship, the one in charge. They're the one with the vision. They have to take that vision and direct everyone so they are trying to help accomplish that vision. They also need to know how to accomplish that vision, hence why directors often start at the bottom and work their way up, learning everything along the way.

No, kind of, kind of. It depends on the kind of person you are. There are two schools of thought, one that says you're best off going to film school, and the other that says you're better off making a movie with the money you'd spend. Both sides are right, it really depends on you. I did film school and I think it was worth it.

Yes and no. Your stress is often dependent on your earlier decisions. Make bad ones and the stress comes later. Your best decisions are usually your crew choices. Sometimes crew choices are a function of your budget.

There's a little promoted saying. Your first film is your hardest. As you go on, your budgets usually increase. With that, the job usually becomes easier as you're often working with better people.

That depends on you.

That depends. Do you have a large bank account? Then no. Do you have lots of rich generous friends? Then no. If you're expecting others to finance your first film, you're in for a world of hurt. Not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying, if you think filming has a steep learning curve, film finance will make you want to kill yourself unless you have a particular mind set.

Marketing. I see it as "There's no point in making something you cannot sell".

That's the dream of filming. The average day varies so widely depending on what you're doing.

Now that's the trick isn't it?

That depends on them. People have particular ways they like to be communicated with. Some prefer to be shown what to do, some prefer to have things written down, others prefer to be told. Everyone has their own style.

Most. Again, this depends on your style. I prefer a lot of preproduction planning. Others prefer to wing it a lot more. Who's right? Both, neither. Previs also helps too.

12: No.

Yes. Adobe suite. Premier Pro.

Neither.

Thanks everybody!

1. I've made 'films' since I was 12 (now 18) and made some pretty serious projects in the last year or two. I generally do most areas myself, brides scoring and acting.

2. To pass on your vision to each member involved so that they can help, under your control, create the story you've dreamed of.

3. So far no. But I don't think I'm at an age where I have a right to comment on that.

4. Depends on how well you plan ;)

5. Always!

6. Most I've spend is a few hundred on music. Yes and no. Depends how you approach it. I work with what I've got, I haven't yet paid any actors. Under union it's $35 minimum an hour in Australia for actors.

7. I've written all my scripts myself but adapted one from a short story. I bounce on the trampoline, or visit nature alone acting and voicing out roles and work on this till I get a story I like. Then write down the key points then begin the screenplay.

8. It's always different...

9. Most I've worked with is three i think, but I know a lot of people will work with minimum of ten or something like that.

10. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes you just have to demonstrate to them, or get them to try multiple times till they get it 'right'.

11. Not much usually..

12. Yes entered a few big and a few small. Only made it to the small ones and have won a prize or two at them. But my priority is YouTube and online so I choose festivals that don't care about premieres.

13. Yes, always. Adobe CS6. Primarily Premiere Pro but sometimes After Effects.

14. I'm in it for the passion, but I wouldn't mind making a decent living doing it too.. :)

Thanks everybody!

1. I have shot and worked on many projects including short and feature films, docos, corporates, music videos, TVCs, with al sorts of varying budgets.

2. The best answer for this is: it depends. Many will equate the Director with the orchestra conductor. I'd agree, but also add that it can vary depending on all sorts of things, including the scope and level of production, as well as the type of production. The role of say, an episodic television Directors can be different to an indie narrative Director. Mostly, they're working with the actors. They are the ones 'driving the ship' so to speak.

3. Yes, it can be worth the time and money. No, it is not necessary, but it depends on many factors. There are success stories from both sides of the coin. Some people benefit greatly from film school, others don't. I personally did. It can also depend on which school.

4. It can be, especially for certain crew members. For a Director or a 1st AD I'm sure it can get really stressful. When I camera assist, I hardly get stressed at all; when I DP, I can get stressed sometimes.

5. Yes.

6. It depends. How much do you need? How much do you have? Who's your Producer? What funding contacts do you have..?

7. I'm not a Director, but as a DP I sit with the Director and we discuss shots. Sometimes the Director will storyboard, other times not.

8. Long ;)

9. In total? Anywhere from 15ish upwards. I work really closely with my camera team, I'll usually ask for a specific 1st AC and Gaffer that I work well with, from there the 1st AC often hires the 2nd AC (unless I've also asked for a specific 2nd), the Gaffer will often hire his Best Boy and LX crew. Hiring of other crew is handled by others. I initially met people through film school, and then you meet people on other sets you both work on.

10. Again, not a Director, but in my experience as a camera assistant and DP, actors are fascinating people and great to work with.

11. When I work out shots with a Director, we sit down and think of how it will end up cutting together. The final cut usually resembles somewhat what we intially went through, but obviously changes happen along the way.

12. Yes. Yes.

13. I edit my own reel, and the occasional corporate gig that I also shoot. I use Avid Media Composer.

14. I am in it because I love to make film. I love the atmosphere of a film set, I love doing what I do. I don't really care if I become famous, rich, or even just become a well known DP. All I need is to make a comfortable living. I guess the eventual goal is to join the ASC and shoot Hollywood films, but it's not for the glory of it - though I'm a DP; you wouldn't become a DP if you wanted the fame and glory...

Back