Best way to have 27x40 poster printed?

What is the best place/site, etc to have a high quality 27x40 poster printed?I had the poster to my movie made with a 27x40 print in mind, so the quality will be high. I wanted to know the best place to get it printed so it's the equivalent to posters shown in theaters with that certain thick professional poster paper, rather than cheap flimsy paper where the image looks poor. I have a film festival coming up and they offered to put one on display so I want to make sure I get a very professional one printed.

Your best bet is to look up local printers and give them a call and ask for quotes. Prices will vary depending on the number of prints, color inks used, and so forth.

Some smaller print shops may even give you a few prints in exchange for a thank you in the credits or adding their logo somewhere on the poster.

I live in a touristy town that doesn't have a lot of local print shots I would trust to deliver what I'm looking for, so I'd mainly be interested in finding something online that delivers, that is good for this sort of thing. I went with a local print shop in Wisconsin a couple years ago and they were cheap, but the quality of the paper was poor. Got what I paid for, which is why I'm looking for something more expensive and better. There are so many, so any places other people have gone to that you can post on here would be very very helpful. Thanks.

If you don't mind ordering from overseas, I've dealt with these guys before:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/488280683-Large-Format-Design-wholesalers.html

Signing up for an account is unfortunately necessary (but free), or if you want, send me a PM and i'll forward the artwork onto him myself and get a quote.

Despite the price, this is the high quality stuff - one of the biggest Supermarkets in Australia use these guys for printing.

You really need to check all the details of the artwork as well because Printers are notoriously picky (You would be too if your clients submitted video to you on a floppy disk with a password and in an unknown format!) when it comes to their settings, so at a minimum make sure it's all CMYK and at least 300DPI as well as a 3mm bleed (maybe more or less, depends on the printer).

These guys send via DHL so it should be very quick, but make sure you give plenty of time for turnaround (I had some initial trouble getting samples made on time because of a sudden rush they had)

Here's another alternative which I've found to be quite good. I haven't used them for any large format printing, but they seem to do a lot of it.
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/202568

Last edited:
The larger posters I've done for people we print though local shops. The best price around here would be about $35-45 for a one-off that size on a thicker poster material. FedEx Office will do a great job and I'm guessing be closer to $60.

How many do you want, and are you married to that size? Ordering in bulk brings the per-piece cost way down, and if you could be happy with 11"x17" you could probably find a local printer to do that for less than $2 each on a poster/card-stock weight. Granted, smaller, but would 20 smaller prints do you better than one large? Think about the classic subway wall pasted with concert bills and what not, 12 of the same smaller poster in a 4x3 block. It's a cool look.

Are you still in Chicago? There should be tons of print shops there.

Local companies generally are very expensive (about $40-75 per poster) for 27"x40". There are places online that get much better price breaks when you order 5 or more copies of the same poster.

For individual one offs, I use CAFEPRESS for 23"x35" and they are really really good posters. $19.95 each.

Hey thanks for all of the advice. I'm not comfortable with going overseas for just a poster, but thanks for those suggestions though, I'm sure they do great work. I'm definitely okay with spending those prices, and it may be a good idea to buy a group of them. FedEx office looks okay, I'd rather go with a place like CafePress, that specializes in the "art" side of things. I contacted them to see if they could help me, thanks for that suggestion.
I wish I had a graphics department at my day job.

I'm actually not in Chicago anymore, I should update my profile, sorry. If I was, that would make things a lot easier!

It is a cool look to have smaller prints next to each other, but for this I'm looking for the theatrical size. I've ordered smaller ones for another film that were 11x17 I think, nice size, but the festival my movie is showing at asked for that size.

thanks again for all this, and please if there are any other specific sites that people have gotten 27x40 ones from, even in bulk, please let me know.

Check out imagekind - they've got a variety of papers to choose from, that size could run anywhere from $35-100 depending on the quality of the paper you want. You can also sell your posters through the site as well.

Hey I know I'm a little bit, alright very, late to this thread, but if you still need someone to print posters you really don't need to go oversees. Costco does it cheap, but its not really the best quality. For quality, and a reasonable price, I'd probably go with an online service. The one I know is called Las Vegas Printing. For poster prints this is their page. Hope it helps in the future even if it was late.

I know this is an older poster, but still very relevant. If you're looking to get posters printed for Indies to be inserted into Theater light boxes during film festivals, standard paper posters aren't the way to go. Instead, you should have backlit posters printed. They are printed on a heavier film, specifically designed for light-box applications and are great when you just need a handful printed, as they are a bit more costly than traditional paper posters for standard frames. But, if you want to display your poster like the big block busters do, this is the way to go. Check out http://www.backlitposters.com . This is exactly what they do and print your posters in 24 hours. Cheers!

I know this is an older poster, but still very relevant. If you're looking to get posters printed for Indies to be inserted into Theater light boxes during film festivals, standard paper posters aren't the way to go. Instead, you should have backlit posters printed. They are printed on a heavier film, specifically designed for light-box applications and are great when you just need a handful printed, as they are a bit more costly than traditional paper posters for standard frames. But, if you want to display your poster like the big block busters do, this is the way to go. Check out http://www.backlitposters.com . This is exactly what they do and print your posters in 24 hours. Cheers!

'what THEY do'?

Come on, don't mistake us for fools!
You're promoting your own business.

http://whois.domaintools.com/backlitposters.com

Back