Musician Turning to Film making

Hi my name is Nicky B, 25 I live in the East Coast of Canada. I have always been a musician; I play mostly drums, but also dabble in other areas, strings, keys and voice. Can't say I'm great at any of them (haha). I am currently working as a full time Bench Technician, and working part time as a drum teacher at Long and McQuade.

Over the past several years I have been reading, watching videos, and discussing with people about the creation of film. Film/TV has always interested me. I was a theater kid through high school, doing acting. So just last week I did my first little film skit with a willing friend. The product didn’t turn out very well. So I can in search of others you have interest in fiml making and have knowledge they can pass one.
For working in Film my interests span the globe. I love writing scripts and working with others to develop a concluded Idea (don’t know if that’s the right word to use). Being behind the camera, building sets/props, makeup, wardrobe, sound, lighting, editing….you get the point, I love it all. So I guess my question is to all you have read this is.
Where do I start?

Thanks

Nicky B

So just last week I did my first little film skit with a willing friend. The product didn’t turn out very well.
Where do I start?
Your first project sounds like everybody's first project. Watch your film several more times and critique the hell out of it - what, exactly, did you not like? Once you have the answer you'll know where to start - if you don't like the sound, start reading up on sound design. If you don't like the composition of the shots, search the internet for introductory articles about cinematography.

Most importantly though, just keep doing it. Make as many videos as you can. If you want to know more about cinematography, spend as much time shooting video as possible. I have hours of video footage of my kids, my car, the pond near my house, etc - not that I plan on doing anything with it but it makes me feel more comfortable using my camera when I'm actually shooting something that other people will watch.

Your first project sounds like everybody's first project. Watch your film several more times and critique the hell out of it
Most importantly though, just keep doing it.

I have asked so many people this same question and you are the first to tell me to critique my own work. I have actually already done this, but feel it is very important to do. I will continue to film everything I can possible think of.

Thanks SixOhThree

Nicky B

Welcome! 603 pretty well covered it, it's a process. Take a look at what you didn't like about the first one, pick one or two things to focus on, and then do another project where you try to improve those specific things. Rinse, repeat. Don't worry about trying to improve too many things at once. As you start to get one thing working the way you like it'll start to become second nature to you, which frees up your attention to focus on the next thing.

pick one or two things to focus on, and then do another project where you try to improve those specific things.

Thanks IDOM, I felt like I was trying to improve to much at once. I have to remember I am only human, and can only do so much. I feel like these comments are really helping me out. I hope this continues in this way.

Thanks again IDOM!

WAX

Back