"Neighbors".

I just saw the movie, and, while it obviously was influenced by Animal House, which I liked, the movie didn't do anything for me.

It seem silly, which was the point, but, as I said, I didn't really like it. I would rather watch something more serious, like Iron Man, Spiderman ... or talk about something worldly, like the Summer Glau Curse.

If you went into it expecting anything other than raunchy humor, you were setting yourself up to be disappointed. Wife & I went to see it last night.. thought it was pretty damn funny. I mean, it's no Citizen Kane, but I didn't expect that. :P

I was expecting raunchy humor, but, somehow, it wasn't my cup of tea. That said, I liked Animal House from way back when, and I also like the original Blues Brothers. But those came out a long time ago, when I was young enough to join a frat house.

I never did, because the concept never appealed to me, which may be why I didn't like this movie. But what the hey, everyone is different.

"Something more serious like Iron Man or Spiderman"

:D That line sort of caught me as interesting. I consider those films very far from serious. They aren't raunchy humor like Neighbors or Animal House, but I certainly don't put them remotely close to the word 'serious.'

I think Will's right on the money, though. It's marketed as a dumb raunchy film. So if you didn't like it because of that, there's not much anyone can do. We all have different speeds of films. I don't particularly like that genre either, I went to go see 'This is the End' with some friends and was incredibly disappointed in the movie. My friends loved it, and I realized that those films just aren't my speed.

Just saw it. Mixed feelings. I laughed, and that's the point of comedy, right? It was well made, and while it was imperfect and dragged at times, it's a mindless and entertaining movie. It's nothing that I'm going to be telling everyone to see or thinking about for weeks, but it was entertaining.

I think it's a horrible mistake to compare this movie to Animal House. Sure, much partying takes place. Debauchery is rampant, and played for laughs. But they are COMPLETELY different movies.

Sure, they both have a bunch of low-brow humor, but thematically, they're quite the opposite of each other. Neighbors is very Apatowian, and I think the more fair comparison is to Knocked Up, as both movies are really about the transition between young adulthood and actual adulthood.

I enjoyed the shit out of it, can't wait to see it again!

I cannot wait to see this movie. I love Seth Rogan comedies, even though I don't think he is a funny actor, but his writing is pretty great. I also look forward to 22 Jump Street, so perhaps that gives away my taste in comedies...

Back