Slime!

Here's a recipe that should be useful for anyone doing a sci-fi or horror film..

Everything you need can be found at the supermarket and hardware store.

Ingredients:

Borax
White PVA Glue (this is white wood glue)
Food Coloring (optional)

-------------------------

- Dissolve 5 teaspoons of Borax in a cup of water
- Fill a second cup half full with white PVA glue
- Add two teaspoons of the borax & water solution and begin stirring. The PVA should begin to thicken immediately.
- Add coloring if desired
- Add more of the borax & water solution, one teaspoon at a time until it is good and thick, 6 or 7 teaspoons should be plenty for a half cup.
- Wash under running water until excess glue is gone and it is no longer sticky to touch.

This is very similar to the slime used in the Alien Encounter portion of Disney's Great Movie Ride..

You can also make a more drippy kind of slime mixing Glycerol and water.

Recipe taken from here.

Last edited:
The glue and borax version looks great, but when the water evaporates it turns into a rock hard solid. Makes it difficult to remove from puppets, clothing and hair if left on too long.

I use methyl cellulose and water. Methyl cellulose is safe to get in your mouth (it's used as a food thickener) and when the water evaporates it leaves a flaky film that can be washed with water. Much better for the werewolf or alien puppet and the actor. And much cheaper in large quantities.

The "backyard imagineer" from the link is incorrect on this one. As a "real" Imagineer working at WDI, I can tell you that the slime isn't used in the WDW ride isn't glue based.

K-Y is fine. I use it to shine up the teeth and mouth of a puppet or appliance. But in large quantities - like a lot drool or spilled on the floor - the powder form is cheaper. Burman Foam carries the 1 and 5 pound packages of the powder. They are great people to work with and ship worldwide.

Back