Directing Actors

I have been reading the book Directing Actors by Judith Weston lately. Has anyone else read that to the Director's Intuition? I find it to be quite interesting with how the actor's mind works and how to make a great performance come from within.

Does anyone have any other resources or comments?

Last edited:
Myers? Unless she changed her name (which is possible) I believe she goes by Judith Weston.

Regardless, I've read both books, and took her workshop in LA (on which the books are based). The books and classes were excellent, and perhaps the best work available on the subject. I've also worked for several directors (of films you'd recognize) and all have read the Directing Actors book (one also took the workshop) and all use similar techniques.

Like Judith says, this isn't a paint-by-numbers solution. There's no single way to talk to actors, and the playable verbs she lists are not intended to be simply memorized and regurgitated on set.

You should study her lessons but apply your own technique.

Thomas

Yes, it is Weston. I had a spaced moment for some reason. My mistake.

Ya, that's what's great about the book. She gives so many tools to familiarize oneself with for any situation or actor type. I'm really enjoying what I'm reading. It makes me want to apply and test every individual tactic just as practice on test projects and really hone my craft.

She explains why doing a line reading for a trained actor, or saying "be madder" can be useless/counter-productive. There's a great audio clip out there where William Shatner is recording a radio spot, and between takes the Director did a specific line reading for him; for all the reasons Judith teaches, it all goes terribly wrong.

I've been this book as well and it really opened my eyes!
I used to be nervous when i saw terrible acting in films, hoping that would never be what my work looks like. Now instead of being nervous I am ambitious and ready to tackle the problem! She gives problem solving heuristics and a way to channel your creativity into actable solutions.

Find your directing style.

Some directors like the actor to practice, practice, practice. Other directors like improvisation and/or the actor reading it on the spot. Some directors don't like the actors meeting the other actors until the day of the shoot. Find the way you like to direct, but remember to manage time and money efficiently at the same time.

I would STRONGLY recommend NOT filming with new couples unless it is completely unavoidable. I recently tried to shoot a short film with one of my buddies who just got into a new relationship with, you guessed it, MY LEADING LADY. now not only was this guy in the movie, he was also the driver for most of the crew INCLUDING me and his newly found love:no: so shooting day arrives and i have bummed my way to the set along with the other crew, an hour after we are supposed to start he shows up locking lips with his girlfriend and proceeds to make our entire team take and hour and a half to film one scene that should have taken 30 minutes. Moral of the story is, don't work with friends in relationships, unless you are willing to lose a few friends, hours of sleep, and your voice.

She explains why doing a line reading for a trained actor, or saying "be madder" can be useless/counter-productive. There's a great audio clip out there where William Shatner is recording a radio spot, and between takes the Director did a specific line reading for him; for all the reasons Judith teaches, it all goes terribly wrong.
It's funny because most new directors have the problem and not correctly explaining the emotions. My cousin having studied theater and directing our stuff, always explains the characters backstory or the reasoning why something was done to the actor so that he/she can properly emote the lines.

Back