• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Appeals Court Ruling May Shift Power to Writers

Original article here

Possibly a ViewFinder topic, but went for Screenwriter interest.

It's 9th Circuit, btw.

October 13, 2004

Appeals Court Ruling May Shift Power to Writers

By ANNE THOMPSON

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 12 - Since the dawn of the film industry, it has been common practice for writers to send scripts and pitch stories to movie executives and producers. And for almost as long, scores of writers have sued the studios for stealing their ideas, only to have suits, filed on hard-to-prove copyright infringement grounds, which are dismissed or quietly settled.

But a recently published opinion from the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, in Jeff Grosso v. Miramax Film Corporation, may soon shift the balance of power in this age-old tug of war.

For the last month, Hollywood legal circles have been puzzling over the decision, which declares that movie and television executives enter an implied contract every time they read a script or hear a pitch. The ruling, if it stands, appears to strengthen the position of writers. But industry watchers say it may also put a new chill on the already frosty business of selling ideas, by forcing studios and networks to spell out terms or seek legal waivers before they read or listen to a word.

"How bizarre that Disney and Miramax would allow this matter to become a case," said Daniel H. Black of the Greenberg Traurig law firm. "In situations like this historically, it's not worth going to a judge; you settle quietly."

In a lawsuit filed in California in 1999, Jeff Grosso, a freelance magazine writer and high-stakes poker player, contended that Miramax had stolen his original script "The Shell Game," which he wrote in 1995. Mr. Grosso sent an unsolicited copy of the script to a production company that had offices in the same TriBeCa building as Miramax and a had first-look deal with the company. Later, he came to believe that many of its plot and character ideas had been folded into "Rounders," which starred Matt Damon.

"Texas hold 'em had never been used in a movie before," Mr. Grosso said in a telephone interview from his home in Chesterton, Ohio. "It was obvious to me that they stole my movie. Those two works couldn't be mutually exclusive. They realized that I was not powerful, had no connections, that they could rewrite the script and use it, for free."

John Marder, a partner at Manny & Marder, Kass, Ellrod, Ramirez agreed to take the case on a contingency basis. "We filed a complaint in state court on breach of contract," Mr. Marder said. "If you approach a producer and give them an idea for a movie or TV show, it is implied that if they use them, they are going to pay you for it. Miramax insisted that copyright was the only remedy. With copyright there are a lot of ideas that you can't protect."

The Federal District Court here dismissed the suit's copyright provisions, saying that while the two works share poker settings and jargon, they are not substantially similar.

But in a decision that could have long-term ramifications on future writers submitting their ideas to producers and studios, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit said Miramax must go to trial on a claim that it violated an implied contract with the writer. Under California law, Judge Mary M. Schroeder wrote in a ruling for a three-judge panel on Sept. 8, "a contract sometimes may be implied even in the absence of an express promise to pay."

The court "has imposed a contract on every writer talking to a producer," Mr. Marder said of the decision. "If they use your product, they have to pay for it. Now the studio playgrounds will have rules."

A Miramax spokesman declined to discuss details of the case but said the company planned to ask for another hearing from a larger panel of the Court of Appeals and is prepared to appeal to the United States Supreme Court.

It is common in Hollywood for similar ideas to arise, from boxer reality television shows to biopics about Alexander the Great. Despite frequent complaints about material theft, writers who are represented by established agents and lawyers typically engage in relatively freewheeling exchanges with film and television executives, counting on their representatives' influence and industry custom to protect them from misappropriation.

But some lawyers are predicting that will change if the new ruling stands. "The studios have to respond to this opinion in their own backyard," said Mr. Black, who has represented writers, directors and actors. "When they have meetings with people receiving pitches, they need to make clear that they have no expectation of doing anything." Aaron Moss of Greenberg, Glusker, Fields, Claman, Machtinger & Kinsella said the new ruling could require a written contract even before a pitch is heard. "I fully expect to see contracts put into place stating, 'I am pitching you this script; I understand I am not seeking protection for these ideas,' " he said.

Any such tightening is likely to make life more difficult for unknowns, who already find companies wary of unsolicited material that can lead to legal trouble when a picture is made. "Every successful movie ever made has had a raft of crazy lawsuits," said Linda Lichter, a Los Angeles entertainment lawyer. "Most of them are settled."

As for Mr. Grosso, he has abandoned high-stakes gambling of all kinds, including screenwriting. He moved from Los Angeles to Chesterton to live closer to his in-laws, and now buys and sell antique clocks.

Steve...a ruling like that only empowers the already successful writer's. Now before anyone will read a script they're going to want you to sign an contract. The people who will make out? The Agent. They won't ever sue their bread and butter. And the production companies will decide that they are the only ones to work with...I don't see it as a good thing.

Chris

This is an INCREDIBLE VICTORY for WRITERS

This ruling is actually the best thing to happen to the 'unknown' -- meaning 'uncredited' -- writer. This ruling is a weapon for the 'powerless' writer going up against the billion dollar studios. The only ones who will be adversely affected by this ruling are the Studio Entertainment attorneys who will be losing out on fees. [My personal opinion: most, not all -see below--entertainment attorneys are blocked creatives who don't have the courage and the talent to actually go out and do something, so they live vicariously through their clients. They do get 10-15% of their client's money].

I find it quite telling that the attorney at the end of the article states that the 'frivolous' lawsuits filed are usually settled. So, the valid ones, where the Studios know that the writers will not take Studio's insulting settlement offers, usually go to trial.

Studios [and Studio attorneys] have been able to abort the copyright protections afforded to creative writers for years through their power and money to influence Courts to disregard the intent and actual wording of the Copyright Act to steal from writers. The “substantial similarity” test is a Studio attorney created excuse to steal --- where does the Copyright Act say substantial similarity? NOWHERE --- the Act refers to any unauthorized use. When it is discovered that the Studios did in fact have access to someone’s script, where in the Copyright Act does it say that if the STUDIO changes it enough, it does not need to compensate the original writer? Where does this become “authorized use”?

Writers DO have contract claims. The Copyright Act specifically does not cover IDEAS because ideas have always been covered by contract! Why should contract law not apply to writers???

DISNEY is the most despised STUDIO in Hollywood. Roy Disney, Jr. even acknowledges that Michael Eisner and the current house of executive rats are responsible for Disney’s reputation as being “rapacious, soulless and out for a quick buck.” “Rapacious” meaning Disney rapes the creativity from writers. The New York times article quoted another attorney saying that Disney was crazy to allow this Grosso case to go to trial. Disney & Miramax believed that they had a powerless victim. The Court system has been blinded by star struck judges (ignorant of the development of movie pictures) and the color of money.

The Plaintiff Grosso was a seemingly powerless writer --- no Hollywood connections (i.e., no daddy or brother in business to open doors). The attorney who took his case should be applauded -- he is courageous and has been able to hold onto some sort of personal ethical and moral beliefs --- a very rare description of a lawyer these days.

I hope Disney drowns in its arrogance.

MovieKat
MovieKat.blogspot.com

Don't Sign The Contract

cibao said:
Steve...a ruling like that only empowers the already successful writer's. Now before anyone will read a script they're going to want you to sign an contract. The people who will make out? The Agent. They won't ever sue their bread and butter. And the production companies will decide that they are the only ones to work with...I don't see it as a good thing.

Chris

Okay, one last thing [for now] about this. Chris, [I assume you are a writer], you do not give yourself enough credit [literally and figurately] as a valuable creative writer. Without you, they have nothing to steal [the past] or to produce. Seriously, if you can make a producer or agent or attorney money, don't worry --- they would climb Mt. Everest naked and backwards with their hands tired behind their backs if it meant you would sign with them.

P.S. RE: any production company wanting you to sign a contract that requires you to sign away all your rights, ideas, etc prior to a submission/pitch...I would put the contract through a shredder and send the pieces back to it with a post it note diagramming what it should do with the pieces. :D

In a quick Google I found no new info on the ruling, but I can not see this helping the no name writer in the least. Basically, not only do you now have to get their attention before they read a single word of your script but you also have to get them to sign a contract.

The idea that Miramax stole his movie just because Rounders featured "Texas Hold 'Em" is preposterous. I played "Texas Hold 'Em" with my father-in-law over the Christmas holiday. I thought of using the game in a short film I've been thinking about. Does that mean I not only stole from him but also from Miramax, the rights holders to Rounders?

In my opinion, this is yet another case of The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals overstepping it's bounds.

Poke

Last edited:
It sounds like they want to have copyright protection for an idea. It's never going to work like that. I never did like the whole pitch an idea thing. I know that's how it was done and still is done today. I would rather see people pitch their finished work, and if the producer likes it, then they read the whole thing. That way if they want to change stuff after that, the person who wrote the original can still have their writing credit. I think it will always be difficult for undiscovered writers to get their foot in the door. Besides that's why we're here; to take the risks that big studios are afraid to take. Yay us! :woohoo:

Back