[Jun 12] What are you working on this week?

Hard for me to hear I'll check later. Congrats.

You won't need notes if you can tie your jokes together, even if they are not related, something to link them, even if only in your mind. Or vocally "speaking of mothers!" But that can get old, and mental connections are good.

I had a hard time hearing but saw notes so just adding that :)

It's a remarkable recording isn't it. One of the worst production qualities i've ever seen.

Thanks! It felt really great in the middle there when I was on a roll.
Now to tackle the art of stand up story telling.. where i stay on one subject for a couple of minutes straight.

That's intimidating but I'm supposed to be some kind of story teller on here right :lol:

Want a tip? Start by figuring out the story first, THEN sprinkling in the jokes.

Practice telling the unfunny version of the story, and whenever you feel that need that there should be a joke coming on, riff and see how well it comes out. Edit ad nauseum.

Or, you could take the UCB approach to improv that pretty much guarantees you'll always find the funny and learn the concept of "game of the scene." It's also what is used to write sketches and funny characters and scenes. I've found that it translates to stand-up decently if you know what you're doing.

most people film it sideways and end up with a tallscreen video

i've never seen anyone film diagonally :lol:

Want a tip? Start by figuring out the story first, THEN sprinkling in the jokes.

Practice telling the unfunny version of the story, and whenever you feel that need that there should be a joke coming on, riff and see how well it comes out. Edit ad nauseum.

Or, you could take the UCB approach to improv that pretty much guarantees you'll always find the funny and learn the concept of "game of the scene." It's also what is used to write sketches and funny characters and scenes. I've found that it translates to stand-up decently if you know what you're doing.

Thanks those both sound interesting to me

Hard for me to hear I'll check later. Congrats.

You won't need notes if you can tie your jokes together, even if they are not related, something to link them, even if only in your mind. Or vocally "speaking of mothers!" But that can get old, and mental connections are good.

I had a hard time hearing but saw notes so just adding that :)

I had a mental note of.. after the girlfriends, now i'm single and it's just me and the dog. move to your dog jokes.

but it slipped my mind. that's when I pulled the note sheet out of my back pocket.
I was on a roll for the first half of the set, it felt great in the middle.

Last edited:
I was on a roll for the first half of the set, it felt great in the middle.

Stand-up kind of lives or dies by the comedian's ability to capture the audience early on. Also, most comedians will feel like the middle is the best part, whether that's true or not. If you felt that way, it means you established yourself well, and felt like you got them on your side, which is an incredible feeling.

Hats off to you for doing it. I don't think I would EVER have the guts to. You ever seen Billy Connolly? THE best.

I'm also replying to the 'what are you working on...'. Some of you may know that I crowdfunded my short 'Fissure' last year. My buddy and I shot our movies on the same weekend and are having a joint showing on SATURDAY at a cinema in Manchester. His has already hoovered up awards, but this is my first showing to cast, crew, family and friends. Squeaky bum time, for sure. Hopefully not too many people will go for a pee during mine. If I retain 30% of the audience, I'm happy ;).

Last edited:
Hats off to you for doing it. I don't think I would EVER have the guts to. You ever seen Billy Connolly? THE best.

I'm also replying to the 'what are you working on...'. Some of you may know that I crowdfunded my short 'Fissure' last year. My buddy and I shot our movies on the same weekend and are having a joint showing on SATURDAY at a cinema in Manchester. His has already hoovered up awards, but this is my first showing to cast, crew, family and friends. Squeaky bum time, for sure. Hopefully not too many people will go for a pee during mine. If I retain 30% of the audience, I'm happy ;).

Which film plays first

Congrats, Paul! I bet you retain considerably more than 30%. Here's to hoping nobody is willing to give up their seat while your film is showing.

Not necessarily working on anything but my groups 48 Hour Short Film is going to be in the Best Of screening this weekend =]. We also won Audience Choice and Spirit Award in our screening group last week.

Not necessarily working on anything but my groups 48 Hour Short Film is going to be in the Best Of screening this weekend =]. We also won Audience Choice and Spirit Award in our screening group last week.

Awesome! Congrats!

@Sfoster Fissure is on First. Ctrl Z is a comedy and 24 minutes long as opposed to my depressing 12 minuter.

@Lucky I get the good spot as if they leave, it messes up my buddys film ;)

Awesome! Congrats!

@Sfoster Fissure is on First. Ctrl Z is a comedy and 24 minutes long as opposed to my depressing 12 minuter.

@Lucky I get the good spot as if they leave, it messes up my buddys film ;)

Can't wait to hear how it went. If you are first up it definitely sounds like a solid retention opportunity.

I have just been updating firmware in a bunch of my gear, practicing with the newest drone, building lighting gear, filling propane tanks, and getting familiar with the Ronin. And no, I didn't film any of it. I do have an idea for a quickie short to practice integrating these new bits of kit into my post workflow.

Film all DCP'd and previewed. Aaaaaaand breath. I will try to remember to post drunk tomorrow.

F8J0uD2l.jpg

Back